Old Jan 27, 2006, 01:16 PM
Sir Buildsalot
Stockbridge, GA
Joined Nov 2002
646 Posts
Alert
Maxxprod.com - shipping to much on small parts

** FELLOW EZONERS BEWARE **

Just ordered a replacement prop shaft for my promaxx planetary GB.

So I called them to find out if the standard shipping charge of $6.95 could be reduced for such a small part. Heck, 3 stamps and a padded envelope should do the trick.

His response was, "we are mainly set up to sell to hobby shops and we are not set up for one'zies and two'zies off the web-site"

then he said " we would rather not sell you the part, then reduce the shipping charge "

So there I sat mouth open . He knew I had a $70 GB and needed that part. I will think twice about maxxprod in the future.

OH and we checked, he does not service any hobby shop in my area.
MailOrderGuy is offline Find More Posts by MailOrderGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2006, 12:53 PM
Joined Jan 2001
3,269 Posts
Hey, start you up a shop at home after work and ship out these small parts to people with free shipping.
sjslhill is offline Find More Posts by sjslhill
Old Jan 28, 2006, 04:49 PM
Ottawa, Canada
Joined Jul 2004
301 Posts
u got to realise that shipping is not just postage... is also paying for the work of the person to packageing the product and to actaly drop off your package to the post office.
Fallengod is offline Find More Posts by Fallengod
Old Jan 28, 2006, 07:40 PM
Sir Buildsalot
Stockbridge, GA
Joined Nov 2002
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallengod
u got to realise that shipping is not just postage... is also paying for the work of the person to packageing the product and to actaly drop off your package to the post office.
Actually, the wage of the person that packs it up is already caculated in the overhead of the business.

That person gets paid, regardless if they ship one package or not.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 07:42 PM
Sir Buildsalot
Stockbridge, GA
Joined Nov 2002
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjslhill
Hey, start you up a shop at home after work and ship out these small parts to people with free shipping.
Read my post again, I never said anything about free shipping.

They should have been able to ship it w/ 3 stamps.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 07:51 PM
Joined Jan 2001
3,269 Posts
That's too funny

Yup, they sure do and I bet that want them working on orders they lose money on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MailOrderGuy
Actually, the wage of the person that packs it up is already caculated in the overhead of the business.

That person gets paid, regardless if they ship one package or not.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 07:51 PM
Joined Jan 2001
3,269 Posts
I read it...

Why don't you start up a company and work after work and lose money on it.

Quote:
Read my post again, I never said anything about free shipping.

They should have been able to ship it w/ 3 stamps.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 09:38 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,421 Posts
Quote:
I will think twice about maxxprod in the future.
Radical RC . . $2.00 shipping
Hobby Lobby . . $2.50 shipping
Air Craft . . $2.50 shipping
aeropal is offline Find More Posts by aeropal
Old Jan 30, 2006, 02:23 PM
Dimension Engineering
Akron, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
1,705 Posts
But on the other hand if you order $2000 worth of stuff from them, shipping is still seven bucks.

Its all about finding the right business to sell you what you need. They aren't really well set up to do one order of one $2 part.

Plus, they ship everything UPS. If a shop is set up to ship mostly small things in padded envelopes via USPS mail, then thats a different story. Our main shipping model is exactly as you describe. We have over 1000 padded envelopes in three sizes here at the shop, and a whole station devoted to stuffing small numbers of small items into them, weighing, sticking on a few stamps and shipping the whole thing out the door for a buck.

But if we didn't have all that set up already, would it really be worth our time to drive to staples or wherever, buy an overpriced 5-pack of padded envelopes, pack up your $2 part, drive to the post office and ship it out? Not hardly.
Comatose is offline Find More Posts by Comatose
Old Feb 02, 2006, 11:53 AM
Wellington, Florida
Joined Oct 2005
702 Posts
I don't know the UPS only statement is correct?

I ordered a couple small items from Maxx/MPI and they were shipped via USPS Priority Mail. Listed as "Best Way Within US 48 States Only" and was billed $6.95., I know it didn't cost that much to ship it but I didn't care because no local Hobby Shops had the parts I needed neither did most of the places I deal with online.

In this case if it's something special you can't find anywhere else then that's the way it is. If your buying something that can be bought at Tower who will ship via Parts Express for a reduced rate then that's your own fault for not shopping around. I recently got free shipping for a Tower order and all 4 items were shipped individually from their two different warehouses, all charges waived for back ordered items.

Overall MPI/Maxxproducts has fast turnaround and good service. I'll deal with them again if I can't find it anywhere else.
mode101 is offline Find More Posts by mode101
Old Feb 02, 2006, 01:51 PM
nooobama
United States, PA, Stroudsburg
Joined May 2004
984 Posts
If you know the shipping charge up front then there is nothing to "be aware of".
I have my own business finishing high end cabinets. You come to me and ask for a price to finish 100 doors and I quote that then you expect the same per piece on only two. No way no can do. It is about making money not friends even though most of my customers become friends because of the service I provide, not just the quality or price.
Hobby Lobby is seldom the cheapest, I know that, but they do a great job. What is that worth?
finishman2000 is offline Find More Posts by finishman2000