HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2006, 03:56 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Discussion
What would you tell Cub Scouts about our hobby?

Hey, Guys!

I have an opportunity to make an RC Flight presentation to a Cub Scout pack (about 30 boys ages 7-10 plus their parents) on Monday. Weather permitting, I have a Frog and a foam Lazy Bee with lights to fly in the parking lot and I've built a "Cubbie" version of Gene Bond's Gym-Blu to fly inside. I have about 30 min. to fly and do a brief presentation.

Question: If you were talking to boys in this age group about out hobby, what would you want them to know? What do you think would really spark their interest?

Thanks in advance for you thoughts!

Pat
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2006, 04:18 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,564 Posts
I've talked to a couple of groups of kids about flying and aircraft in general. The things that seem to get the most attention are flying itself (practise your neatest-looking aerobatics!) and a "You CAN do this!" attitude.

Parents will, of course, want to know how much everything costs and how a kid would go about getting started, so have that sort of info available in case you're asked.

I sometimes point to different full-size airplanes and what they do best (having models similar to them on hand is a bonus), and how the intended role fits in with the design, whether it's big or small. Leave lots of room to go-with-the-flow for interaction with the scouts, anything you can do to get them personally involved is great.

(I've considered carrying someone's shoes aloft with my Slow Stick to demonstrate how big, slow airplanes can haul cargo, or doing a candy-bomber drop as a finale.)

If it fits with the pack's plans, follow up with an AMA Cub project. THe AMA Cub is a simple rubber kit that the cub scouts can build, and it meets a badge requirement (I forget which one..) The church where we fly has a Cub Scout pack that just recently went through this.

*My* scout is too small yet (he just made Tiger and Bobcat last week! <beam>), but I look forward to doing this stuff with his pack in a few years.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Jan 26, 2006, 04:18 PM
United States, OH, New Franklin
Joined May 2004
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstShirt
Hey, Guys!

I have an opportunity to make an RC Flight presentation to a Cub Scout pack (about 30 boys ages 7-10 plus their parents) on Monday. Weather permitting, I have a Frog and a foam Lazy Bee with lights to fly in the parking lot and I've built a "Cubbie" version of Gene Bond's Gym-Blu to fly inside. I have about 30 min. to fly and do a brief presentation.

Question: If you were talking to boys in this age group about out hobby, what would you want them to know? What do you think would really spark their interest?

Thanks in advance for you thoughts!

Pat
Tell 'em to duck

Bring them some blucore and have them build some gliders. You can make a glider our of just about any design. Chalk talks and demonstrations are ok for a start but to keep their attention you're going to have to occupy more than their minds

So do your talk and demo then let them build something they can CHASE
trashbug is offline Find More Posts by trashbug
Old Jan 26, 2006, 04:58 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
945 Posts
Be sure to point out that modeling can lead to a career in aeronautics, because all production aircraft are developed first as models. Point them to Scaled Composites and Aerovironment as examples of leaders in flight technology who make extensive use of the same modeling techniques used to fly your demo models. Its also interesting that many full scale pilots are also into modeling. I can honestly say that were it not for my modeling habit when I was younger taking up all my spare time and money I would have been in a lot more trouble. And my modeling buddies were the most harmless and good natured friends a boy could have. We spent countless hours gathered around my mother's utility table assembling guillows models and learning about cooperation and sportsmanship without the macho meanness that football and baseball encourage. Its a great way to keep the less athletic or more intellectual kids from becoming isolated and off the internet (not much useful out there!) I was a scout and I only wish there had been some modeling presented. We studied karate. talk about useless!
JayJay76 is offline Find More Posts by JayJay76
Old Jan 26, 2006, 05:41 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlepinske
Be sure to point out that modeling can lead to a career in aeronautics, because all production aircraft are developed first as models.!
Indeed!

When I was a kid I could blow a whole day with a just a ream of paper and space to fly in. I was forever futzing with paper airplanes of one sort or another.

Now it's foam and wood. (-:
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Jan 26, 2006, 06:05 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Bring along an AeroAce and fly it in front of them!
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Old Jan 26, 2006, 06:54 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeis
Indeed!

When I was a kid I could blow a whole day with a just a ream of paper and space to fly in. I was forever futzing with paper airplanes of one sort or another.

Now it's foam and wood. (-:
WOW! I forgot all about paper airplanes. That pushes my modeling career back from 12 years to probably 6 years old (23 years modeling and counting!)

My little brother and I used to nail scraps of wood from my dad's workbench together in a rough cross shape with a short piece of baseboard moulding for a tailplane and run around straddling them like a hobby horse pretending that we were flying on them.

I remember my dad building an R/C model airplane and how I could not understand that it WAS a real airplane, but not one that I could ride in. I was so disappointed! Looking back I think it was a Sig Kadet but I was only 4 years old or so. We also had a large Lionel train layout and a smaller HO scale layout. Santa Fe Flyer!
JayJay76 is offline Find More Posts by JayJay76
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:07 PM
Foam Wannabe
Joined Nov 2005
578 Posts
Generally, if a boy is in Cub Scouts he will like building things, understanding how they work and will probably be more techy. They should be a pretty receptive audience and I will bet you get a lot of oohs and aahs. This hobby is just freaking cool. Especially when you can explain how you built your planes from insulation foam!

The boys will want to know how to get involved, so if you can leave them with something, a project like the AMA Cub, they will be happy. You might want to run that by the Scout Master before you announce it though just to make sure they are cool with it. I can tell you that my pack/troop would have really enjoyed this back in the day.

Nice of you to spend your time with them, you should be praised too.

Great job!

A former Cub and Eagle Scout.

rca
rcallison is offline Find More Posts by rcallison
Old Jan 27, 2006, 01:14 AM
Logan's Dad
Fresno, CA
Joined Mar 2002
161 Posts
cub scouts

I remember at a training, a scouter from California City putting on a class about "Things that fly" It was in introduction to aviation in that he talked about what made airplanes fly. He started with making a paper airplane, then he went into a very simple example of how air blown over paper will cause it to rise instead of fall leading into how an airfoil works. everything he did was hands on with the kids. He then went off into rockets, but if you start off with the same principles of hands on how to, then lead into showing a 3d plane and do a hot dog program....get them real interested, then as dens, build delta darts (ama cubs) so they can have a duration contest at the Pack Meeting. The Scout shops sell delta darts, but they cost about double what the AMA cubs do. I got started in the hobby very similar to this, but mine was with a science teacher and gliders instead of a 3d machine. The delta darts can be used as several requirements in just about any level of the cubs. Send me an email and I'll send you what I have for the scouts.

rb765@hotmail.com

Day Camp Activities Director for Golden West District, Sequoia Council and Ex- Cub Master and Den Leader
rb765 is offline Find More Posts by rb765
Old Jan 27, 2006, 01:26 AM
Logan's Dad
Fresno, CA
Joined Mar 2002
161 Posts
Cubs

btw, the AMA Cubs are great cuz we had our tigers do them with parental help because they can do them with white glue. Just bring flat cardboard so they can pin them to dry. The parents cut the pieces and the kids glue them. The Bears can cut their own as soon as they earn their wood chip. I also had purchased an extra 3 channel radio with a trainer port so the kids could actually fly a trainer and an extra radio box with a usb adapter so that the kids could practice on FMS.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 03:10 PM
airplane crasher
Roxborough Park, Colorado
Joined Nov 2004
156 Posts
free flight gliders

You've gotten some excellent ideas.

Here is another idea for a next step if some of the dens would like to construct something.

These are hand toss gliders made from card stock and printed on a printer. Glue them together with white glue. The ones with the balsa fuse are Steelhead's design. See this thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261257

The canon design is all paper and flies great, it is available here:
http://www.canon.co.uk/paperart/games/superglider.asp

Here is another link for fff gliders. I've had scouts make these as well.
http://www.dadsfunpage.com/glider.htm

Good luck with your demo.
Jim
jimjxsn is offline Find More Posts by jimjxsn
Old Jan 28, 2006, 03:58 PM
Spring time, planes bloom
near UNC Charlotte, NC
Joined May 2003
1,787 Posts
I work with kids as Environmental Educator and they do like to see the plane flying but when you are trying to teach somethig to kids, is all about hands-on activities.

If you bring some bluecor and have them build a glider so they can take it home, improve it, paint it whatever they want it's the best thing you can do.

At my workplace we are visited my 16,000 kids each year and the ones that will remember that experience the most are the ones who take something with them.

They could team up, cut a plane and put it together with hot glue. It could be a long term project if they want to, to make it fly

http://science.howstuffworks.com/airplane1.htm

Dunno.. lot of things to do... Good luck
ecologito is offline Find More Posts by ecologito
Old Jan 28, 2006, 06:36 PM
Logan's Dad
Fresno, CA
Joined Mar 2002
161 Posts
glider

now this looks cool...gunna have to try it from FFF

http://cp.c-ij.com/english/3D-paperc...ce/eudi_e.html
Old Jan 31, 2006, 06:39 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Guys,

Thanks for your great input! I had about 30-35 min., so spent about 10 minutes on how to make a foamie and just a little about what makes them fly. Lots of hands-on with foam, parts, etc.

Then I flew for about 20 min outside (perfect night) with a lighted Frog. Lots of loops, etc. The thing they liked best was flying straight vertical, nose down toward the pavement, then pulling up at the last minute. Lots of oohs and ahhs.

After that, I took a few questions and left them and their parents with a couple of pages of info on how to get started (much of it from you!). I was pleased with how it went and had lots of good feedback.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate your help!

Pat
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old Jan 31, 2006, 10:41 PM
Foam Wannabe
Joined Nov 2005
578 Posts
Thanks for serving Pat.

Job well done.
rcallison is offline Find More Posts by rcallison