HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2006, 02:18 PM
I'll try anything once!
Huron, South Dakota
Joined Jan 2004
1,088 Posts
Build Log
Hobby Lobby Senior Telemaster Assembly - With Evo 1.00NX

I was fortunate enough to pick up a Hobby Lobby Senior Telemaster on their Weekly "Crash" sale a few weeks ago at a terriffic price! After buying it, I snooped around the RCGroups forums for information on the plane. I did find a lot of information on this ARF being built as a modified electric plane, but very little on using it as a glow powered plane. So, I thought I would set up a thread showing my build progress, and my opinions of this HUGE ARF. The Senior Telemaster can be purchased from Hobby Lobby. Here is a link to their listing of the plane:
Hobby Lobby Senior Telemaster
thacherd is offline Find More Posts by thacherd
Last edited by thacherd; Jan 26, 2006 at 03:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2006, 02:25 PM
I'll try anything once!
Huron, South Dakota
Joined Jan 2004
1,088 Posts
Anyway, last night I decided to take the plane from it's box and lay it out on the top of my pool table. I wanted to examine the different sections for damage and for wrinkled covering. The ARF is really complete. Comes with every thing you need to get flying, minus electronics and engine. Hobby Lobby suggests using a .61 on the plane, but I decided to go a step further and use an Evolution 1.00NX from Horizon Hobby. The Evo 1.00NX has the same mounting dimensions as a .91 and at $169.99 is affordable. Here is a link to the Horizon Hobby Evo 1.00NX page. Check it out for more information on this engine.
Evolution 1.00NX
Old Jan 26, 2006, 02:40 PM
I'll try anything once!
Huron, South Dakota
Joined Jan 2004
1,088 Posts
Here are a few of the Specifications for the Senoir Telemaster ARF taken from the instruction manual:
Wingspan - 95"
Wing Area = 1330 Square Inches
Designed for a 40 - 60 2 Stroke engine, but probably can handle up to a 1.20 Four Stroke.
Flatbottom wing and lifting horizontal stabilizer

I was surprised when I took out the manual and started to read about the plane, that this ARF is designed for glow power. The engine mounting rails are built into the plane, and are wide enough for my Evo 1.00. The ARf even includes a fuel tank.
The Senior Telemaster comes with all the hardware needed including wheels, pushrods, hinges, control arms, etc. and the instructions appear to be fairly complete. I say "fairly" because the instructions seem to be lacking in a few details... Mainly, regarding the setup and installation of the wing struts. But, in reading other reviews and posts on this plane, I was able to look ahead and email Hobby Lobby in regards to the Wing Struts. I will share the email that I received from them later in the set up. What I can tell you is that the struts are not covered or assembled, and will have to be set up for use. Fortunately, Hobby Lobby sent me a diagram to set them up by.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 03:00 PM
I'll try anything once!
Huron, South Dakota
Joined Jan 2004
1,088 Posts
I took all of the components from the box and carefully arranged them on the top of my pool table for the time being. The actual work on the plane will be done on 6 foot tables in my hobby room, but I needed a place for the plane pieces to sit while working on the individual sections. I must say the covering job is very nice. There are only a few wrinkles on the fin, and on the bottom of the fuse. They will take just a few minutes to correct. The instructions say not to use an iron on the covering. They suggest a heat gun, and that is what I will use.
The Senior Telemaster will use 5 servos - 2 in the wing for ailerons, one for throttle, one for rudder, and one for elevator. The elevator is a split elevator, and it looks like the pushrods split into 2 seperate rods for that control surface. The rudder is controlled by a single pushrod, and the ailerons each have their own servo.
I must say, this plane is really big. The horizontal stab's span is as large as my Parkzone J-3 Cub and twice as wide. The wingspan is 8 feet. The dihedral wing brace that came with the kit has a longer span that some of my parkflyers! It is a really big plane... definately not a park flyer!

Below you will find some photos of the ARF sitting on my pool table and of the Evo 1.00NX engine:
Old Jan 26, 2006, 03:11 PM
I'll try anything once!
Huron, South Dakota
Joined Jan 2004
1,088 Posts
After taking the components out of the box and the packaging, I turned to the instructions and decided to get to work on the plane. Step One is the installation of the ailerons. Guess what? The step is already completed! The ailerons are already hinged and pinned. Wow, that was a surprise! It also saves a lot of time. On to Step Number Two: The elevator and horizontal stabilizer installation. Once again, already hinged, pinned, completed! This is great, I'm onto step number 3 and I haven't even gotten my hands dirty! Step Number 3: Rudder and Vertical Stabilizer Assembly. One more time, COMPLETED! So far Hobby Lobby has impressed me with the completeness of this ARF. All of the control surfaces are hinged, pinned and completed! I'm onto step four, and haven't opened a bottle of glue, or lifted a knife. Hobby Lobby really has saved a modeler like myself a temendous amount of time by not having to work through these first control surface steps. I will be moving onto Step Four in a later post. This step is the prepping and the installation of the horizontal stab to the fuse.
Last edited by thacherd; Jan 26, 2006 at 03:18 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 03:35 PM
I'll try anything once!
Huron, South Dakota
Joined Jan 2004
1,088 Posts
Before I go any further with the assembly, I want to let everyone know of some simple mods that I am going to make on the Senior Telemaster. The first one is going to be replacing the main landing gear wheels. The stock wheels look to me to be really cheap and unflattering to the plane. I've decided to go with a heavier rubber 4 inch Dubro inflatable wheel with a paintable hub. I plan on matching the hub to the covering on the Senior Telemaster. It's just my opinion, but the rubber wheels will make the plane look less like a model and more like a plane. The second modification will be to the tail wheel. The included tail wheel is, in my opinion, too small for a plane this size. My Great Planes Slow Poke has a larger tailwheel than the stock wheel included in the ARF, so I picked up a new one. It is a Great Planes rubber tailwheel - an inch and a half in diameter. It actually fits better than the stock tailwheel, which would have to be drilled out to fit on the axle. I know that some of you would probably call me crazy for adding weight to the plane. I guess my only salvation is that I already plan on overpowering the plane, and in all honesty, this plane is supposed to be able to carry some weight... so I'm not worried about heavier wheels. Pictures are below of the wheels:
Old Jan 26, 2006, 03:39 PM
I'll try anything once!
Huron, South Dakota
Joined Jan 2004
1,088 Posts
I also plan on adding a smoke system to the Senior Telemaster. There is alot of room in that fuselage, and I think that a smoke system would add to the excitement of seeing such a large plane fly. It is going to take some research and modification to the muffler system especially, but the end result should be worth it. I will write more about this addition when I get closer to installing it. My first goal is to get the ARF assembled, and then I will install the smoke and electronics.
Here is a link to the system that I own and will be using in the plane:

TME SmartSmoker Simple Smoke System
Old Jan 26, 2006, 05:11 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,595 Posts
Nice thread! Only thing I dislike about this ARF, is that it is pre-stickered with all the Hobby Lobby advertising!

The Evolutiuon series of engines are the most artfully designed cases I have ever seen. I just love the looks of that engine!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 26, 2006, 05:54 PM
Blissfield, Michigan
Joined Apr 2005
1,100 Posts
Really nice plane there - I have one built from a kit. I have a 4 stroke Saito 80 in mine so you have plenty of power for sure. I think you could add a brick to mine and it would still fly fine although a bit faster. Can't picture a smoke system on a Telemaster but if that turns you on then go for it !! Nice flying plane for sure , enjoy.
Maineiac63 is offline Find More Posts by Maineiac63
Old Jan 26, 2006, 06:51 PM
I'll try anything once!
Huron, South Dakota
Joined Jan 2004
1,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Nice thread! Only thing I dislike about this ARF, is that it is pre-stickered with all the Hobby Lobby advertising!

The Evolutiuon series of engines are the most artfully designed cases I have ever seen. I just love the looks of that engine!
I would have to agree. I don't care for the stickers either, but I only paid $130.00 for the ARF on sale. Great price, and I can live with the stickers.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 06:57 PM
I'll try anything once!
Huron, South Dakota
Joined Jan 2004
1,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiac63
Really nice plane there - I have one built from a kit. I have a 4 stroke Saito 80 in mine so you have plenty of power for sure. I think you could add a brick to mine and it would still fly fine although a bit faster. Can't picture a smoke system on a Telemaster but if that turns you on then go for it !! Nice flying plane for sure , enjoy.
I think the reason I want to try a smoke system is just that... I would like to try. This is my first plane above a .46 size, and I decided that I would put smoke through it. That way if I mess it up, I'm really not out much. If I installed my first smoke system on a scale Edge 540, and messed up... I would be out a lot more $$$. Who knows. It might look pretty cool flying low on a pass and dusting the field. Definately not doing it to show off its aerobatics. Especially with an 8 foot flat bottom wing. I hope to work on the plane some more later this evening. I'll try and take pictures.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 09:36 PM
I'll try anything once!
Huron, South Dakota
Joined Jan 2004
1,088 Posts
I was able to do a little work on the Senior Telemaster for awhile tonight. I mainly spent a little time tightening up the covering in places with a heat gun. I had heard reports that the covering on this plane wasn't the greatest, but I can honestly say I'm not disappointed. The covering tightened up nicely, even under some of the decals. As of right now, there is't a bubble or a wrinkle on the plane. Most of all, It was easy to work with and really took no effort. I then took out my trusty modeling knife and go to work cutting off the covering over the spaces for the stab and fin. The manufacturer included in the build supporting blocks towards the end of the fuse that also need to be cut off. I think it was a good idea to build the plane this way at the factory. It kept the fuse more in line, and really took no effort to remove. That's all the work I was able to do tonight. I had to help my son with some homework, and then I couldn't get motivated. Maybe during my lunch break tomorrow I will get the stab measured out and glued in...
Old Jan 27, 2006, 04:11 PM
alabaster alabama
Joined Jun 2005
94 Posts
another gas senior is born

this one has an ole fav..the saito 100..
danfly is offline Find More Posts by danfly
Old Jan 27, 2006, 04:14 PM
I'll try anything once!
Huron, South Dakota
Joined Jan 2004
1,088 Posts
I contemplated cutting off the front which would allow me to side mount the engine, but I figured that is a mod that can wait. The plane would look great with a Pitt's muffler on it. Really like the look of your plane.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 06:09 PM
Warbird crazy!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Sep 2004
3,685 Posts
Hi Michael

What the you decided to double the SS EP eh! Best of luck with your set up.

Imagine the camera you can carry with this baby

John and Christo
new2rc is offline Find More Posts by new2rc