HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2002, 10:05 PM
Master of disaster
Northern Virginia
Joined May 2000
707 Posts
Planes that have been modeled to death

There are some planes that have been modeled to death, ie, they are as common as a ugly stick.

My candidates are; The Piper J3 Cub, it can be had in kits and arfs
of all scales and levels of detail.

The P-51 mustang, ditto.

The Petinpol Air Camper
Travis is offline Find More Posts by Travis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2002, 10:35 PM
NW California
Joined Mar 2002
114 Posts
Add Fokker D-7, D-8, E-3, PT-19 and Mig-15 to the common list.
GHMBO is offline Find More Posts by GHMBO
Old Jun 13, 2002, 11:13 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,550 Posts
Re: Planes that have been modeled to death

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
There are some planes that have been modeled to death, ie, they are as common as a ugly stick.

My candidates are; The Piper J3 Cub, it can be had in kits and arfs
of all scales and levels of detail.

The P-51 mustang, ditto.

The Petinpol Air Camper
The A-10 "Warthog" can now be added to that list.

Dan
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old Jun 14, 2002, 12:41 AM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
The Cub must be number one. Add the Zero, FW190, and just recently, the DH Tiger Moth.
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Jun 14, 2002, 06:30 AM
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada.
Joined Dec 2000
455 Posts
Modelled to death ? Yep! but....how many kits of those planes are anywhere near "Scale" representations combining good flying characteristics? Not very many.
Airnut 2 is offline Find More Posts by Airnut 2
Old Jun 14, 2002, 08:22 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
May I offer a global perspective ?

The Cub - definitely #1 in the States. Lived there, seen 'em.
Can't move for Spitfires in England.
I live in Germany. Every second model is an Me 109.
I collect plastic kits. Guess which country makes the most Polikarpov Rata kits - - you're right, Russia.

I bet you'd really stand out with your 'rare' yellow Piper Cub at the Vladivostok Model Flying Club !
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Jun 14, 2002, 08:34 AM
NW California
Joined Mar 2002
114 Posts
"Scale" seems to be in the eye of the beholder. A pair of wings on a stick with a tail, painted red with crosses is represented a Fokker E-III. Seems that any highwing painted yellow is a Cub. We of course have many kinds of "scale"- near scale, sorta scale, stand-off scale, no-cal scale, combat scale,ect. I was designing a Gipsy Moth parkflyer them the foam Tiger Moth hit the sceen so I shelved the drawings. I like the unusal
GHMBO is offline Find More Posts by GHMBO
Old Jun 14, 2002, 08:46 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
After having designed, from scratch, a Hannover CLIIIA, Focker EV, and a Chilton DW-1, there's a good reason for all the same-y scale models.

Many of us want to fly a scale model, it strikes a chord hard with us. But in these days of instant everything, who's going to sit down and design something different?

(Answer - Peter Rake )

There's a raft of high wingers around to choose from, instead of the Cub - but the effort of designing your own oddball will drive many folk to a yellow BARFCub instead.

Add that to the legions of folk who just want a Cub, P-51, Me109 (name your favourite) anyway, factor in kitters and BARFers who want to make a yen or 20,000,000 - and there you go.

If - BIG IF - I had the time, either a Rata, early Yak or Mig prop jobs, IL-2 or a Miles M20 would be high on my personal yawn avoidance plan. 20 - 25 cell sized, retracts as appropriate, full cockpit detail, the lot.

I'd like a real good Spitfire too, being racially biased towards the most beautiful shaped fighter ever to set out into battle. Rob Millinship's Mk2 plan strikes me as a good place to start, TF's is, I suspect, a Spitfire shaped flying thing ...
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jun 14, 2002, 09:05 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dereck
If I had the time, a Miles M20 would be high on my personal yawn avoidance plan.
Maybe I shouldn't mention his week's back of the envelope sketch for a model of the Blackburn B20 retractable hull flying boat................

The mythical production version looks particularly tasty IMHO !

http://freespace.virgin.net/john.dell/blackburn_b20.htm
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Last edited by ChrisP; Jun 14, 2002 at 09:10 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2002, 09:19 AM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
Got to add another

The Extra 260 300 330 etc...

At my field there are more of them than Mustangs or Cubs.
RMason is offline Find More Posts by RMason
Old Jun 14, 2002, 10:03 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,049 Posts
We're so spoiled!

Look at us scoff at the "masses" of cloned models and BARFS, the likes of which weren't possible, especially in electric flight, if it weren't for the advanced construction materials, techniques, and power systems available to us recently.

Let them eat cake, Belvedeire!
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2002, 10:24 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
All,

Thanks (I think) Dereck, I have been known to build the occassional unusual model, but not solely because it was unusual. There had to be something about it that did something for me. I, and I'm sure most other modellers, build any given subject for one reason, and one reason only - they LIKE that particular plane.
Surely it doesn't matter how many other people have modelled a particular type, just as long as the individual building THIS version of it is having fun. Heaven forbid that we ever reach the stage where someone is put off building a model for fear that it will be decried as being 'too common'. Okay, so Spitfires do nothing for me, and P51s leave me cold, but a Sopwith Pup? AAAHHHHH, sheer heaven.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jun 14, 2002, 03:17 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,029 Posts
All,

You can be sure that the manufacturers wouldn't be making them if people didn't want to buy them.

I don't see that it's a problem if a large proportion of modellers want to make Cubs, P-51's, Spitfires etc. If they are happy, that all that matters

Mike Smart
Mike Smart is online now Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Jun 14, 2002, 07:04 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,657 Posts
I don't see that it's a problem if a large proportion of modellers want to make Cubs, P-51's, Spitfires etc.

I agree, let the masses have there P51's Spits and cub's. I try perposely to look for something a little different when choosing a model, its part of the fun 4 me.

P.S i have or have had every plane mentioned above

P.P.S Although i must say all these planes do merit there popularity
stuart warne is offline Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Last edited by stuart warne; Jun 14, 2002 at 07:11 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2002, 10:17 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,728 Posts
Old Tyme Seaplanes

I've been watching friend Gene fly his Twinstar and thinking, why not build a stand-off scale Sikorsky, Martin or Boeing China Clipper type seaplane with four direct drive S400's or geardrive 280's. A seaplane should land on grass as well as the Twinstar. Outrigger floats could be sprung and held on with velcro for looks. You could even use a dolly for take off. Maybe a Republic Seabee ( pusher), built light enough, would work, hmmmmm!
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged