HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 25, 2006, 09:33 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Build Log
Flying Styro P-38

Hey guys -- I have purchased a Flying Styro P-38, and I'm going to start the build very soon.

I will be using Red MPJet brushless outrunners, a Thunder Power 2100 mAh 3s LiPo (or a Tanic 2220 mAh 3s LiPo), and the stock 3-blade 9x7 props. The folks at Hobby Lobby say the motors should each be pulling around 15 to 16 amps on this setup.

I was going to wire the two motors to the single battery with 16 gauge wire, but I could only find 18 gauge wire in town -- I'm pretty sure it will still work. I will be sure to test everything on my thrust stand before installing it in my P-38.

I've searched and searched RCGroups for information on the Flying Styro P-38, but there seems to be a void. I hope there are some experienced FS P-38 pilots out there who can help me avoid the pitfalls of this build.

Thank you!
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Last edited by Red 61; Jan 27, 2006 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Added link to the Flying Styro P-38 image, and the image itself. :)
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2006, 09:54 PM
Registered User
shschon's Avatar
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
Hey guys -- I have purchased a Flying Styro P-38, and I'm going to start the build very soon.

I will be using Red MPJet brushless outrunners, a Thunder Power 2100 mAh 3s LiPo (or a Tanic 2220 mAh 3s LiPo), and the stock 3-blade 9x7 props. The folks at Hobby Lobby say the motors should each be pulling around 15 to 16 amps on this setup.

I was going to wire the two motors to the single battery with 16 gauge wire, but I could only find 18 gauge wire in town -- I'm pretty sure it will still work. I will be sure to test everything on my thrust stand before installing it in my P-38.

I've searched and searched RCGroups for information on the Flying Styro P-38, but there seems to be a void. I hope there are some experienced FS P-38 pilots out there who can help me avoid the pitfalls of this build.

Thank you!

A TP 2100 Gen II or Tanic 2220 3 cell max out at around 20~22 Amp. Clearly if you will be pulling 30~32 Amp with two motors then you will smoke the single battery very quickly. The Red is happier at 2 cell pulling around 12~13 Amp using the 9x7 stock prop. Even with 2 cell you are taxing the TP Gen II and Tanic pretty hard.

I do suggest you go with 2 cell to save weight (Hobby Lobby also used two 2 cell batteries in their setup). The space in the main cabin is limited and 2 cell batteries fit better in terms of space, CG, and also yields longer fly time. This is a thin depron foam plane. Unless you glass it 3 cell will not only burn things but also may rip the plane apart with excessive power.
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:06 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
I will be using TP Pro-Lites... Taken from the Thunder Power web site: "Rating: 15C (31.5A) continuous, 24C (50A) burst"

I've test fit my Tanic 3s in the P-38, and it easily fits (the Thunder Power is smaller and lighter).

MPJet and Hobby Lobby says the Red MPJet will handle the 3s LiPo with no problems -- I will be using dual Phoenix 25 speed controls. It looks like the power system will be fine.

This will be my third thin depron foam plane -- I fly all my airplanes on the same batteries (3s 2100-2200 mAh).

Special thanks to Shschon, who sold me this P-38!

Hey Shschon -- did you ever find a Scorpio Hellcat? I may have one for sale, if you're interested.
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:20 PM
Registered User
shschon's Avatar
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
I will be using TP Pro-Lites... Taken from the Thunder Power web site: "Rating: 15C (31.5A) continuous, 24C (50A) burst"

I've test fit my Tanic 3s in the P-38, and it easily fits (the Thunder Power is smaller and lighter).

MPJet and Hobby Lobby says the Red MPJet will handle the 3s LiPo with no problems -- I will be using dual Phoenix 25 speed controls. It looks like the power system will be fine.

This will be my third thin depron foam plane -- I fly all my airplanes on the same batteries (3s 2100-2200 mAh).

Special thanks to Shschon, who sold me this P-38!

Hey Shschon -- did you ever find a Scorpio Hellcat? I may have one for sale, if you're interested.
Well, if yours is prolite then it would survive. However I do worry that the battery would age more quickly than its brothers and sisters. You also need to drill lots of cooling holes to cool the battery and that may degrade the scale appearance.

The most significant draw back is flying time. Full throttle time is only around 4 min. I worry that on your maiden you barely have time to get it trimmed before the motor is cut. Keep this in mind and setup a timer if you still end up using 3 cell. I would like to see the P-38 live a long time for you to enjoy it.

I am only interested in almost RTF plane (plug in my own RX and go fly) at a bargain price now. PM me if your hellcat fits in the picture
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 05:53 AM
Game-Mania
Italianmodeler's Avatar
Italy
Joined Oct 2005
73 Posts
Interesting thread, as I have one FSK P-38 on the shelf waiting for its turn to be built. Red61, please keep up this thread to keep us (me) informed of how the setup works, how the model flies, needed modifications, and so on.
Thanks in advance !!
Italianmodeler is offline Find More Posts by Italianmodeler
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:14 AM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shschon
The most significant draw back is flying time. Full throttle time is only around 4 min.
Most people who have this P-38 and using this 3s battery are telling me they're getting 12 to 15 minute flight times (not WOT). While that is about half what I am used to, it is to be expected with the two motors drawing current...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shschon
I am only interested in almost RTF plane (plug in my own RX and go fly) at a bargain price now. PM me if your hellcat fits in the picture
Hmmmm... I'll think about this one... With the P-38, I'm going to have too many airplanes in my hanger (according to my wife and friends -- NOT according to me). I have an E-Flite P-47 Thunderbolt and a GWS ME-109 I might be interested in selling, if the price is right.
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 07:17 PM
Registered User
shschon's Avatar
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
Most people who have this P-38 and using this 3s battery are telling me they're getting 12 to 15 minute flight times (not WOT). While that is about half what I am used to, it is to be expected with the two motors drawing current...

Hmmmm... I'll think about this one... With the P-38, I'm going to have too many airplanes in my hanger (according to my wife and friends -- NOT according to me). I have an E-Flite P-47 Thunderbolt and a GWS ME-109 I might be interested in selling, if the price is right.

I have the P47 already. Your 109 looks neat. Is it 3 channel only? How do you mount the GWS 3 blade prop on the Cobri GB output shaft? What tool did you use to ream out the prop hole without making it unbalanced? Do you like the performance at this setup? I hear that many people do NOT use GWS props on high power brushless setup because the cheap soft GWS props are not efficient at high power and you risk breaking them.
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Last edited by shschon; Jan 26, 2006 at 09:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 08:29 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shschon
Your 109 looks neat. Is it 3 channel only?
Thanks -- yes, ailerons, elevator, and throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shschon
How do you mount the GWS 3 blade prop on the Cobri GB output shaft?
With a 4mm collet prop adapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shschon
What tool did you use to ream out the prop hole without making it unbalanced?
A plain-old drill bit -- actually, 3-blade props are easier to keep in balance. However, I've done the same thing with my GWS 2-blade props with no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shschon
Do you like the performance at this setup?
To tell the truth, no -- I ended up replacing the GWS 3-blade 9x7 prop with an APC 2-blade 10x7. I ended up with a 200% increase in speed (the calculated top speed with the GWS prop was incorrect), with LOWER amp draw! Better thrust too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shschon
I hear many people do use GWS props on high power brushless setup because they are not efficient at high power and you risk breaking them.
I'm not sure I understand this statement...
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 08:33 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
MERLIN V16's Avatar
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
Most people who have this P-38 and using this 3s battery are telling me they're getting 12 to 15 minute flight times (not WOT). While that is about half what I am used to, it is to be expected with the two motors drawing current...

Hmmmm... I'll think about this one... With the P-38, I'm going to have too many airplanes in my hanger (according to my wife and friends -- NOT according to me). I have an E-Flite P-47 Thunderbolt and a GWS ME-109 I might be interested in selling, if the price is right.
I'M GLAD YOU TOOK MY ADVICE AND GOT THE FS P-38 ! I UNDERSTAND THE GWS 38 IS SLATED FOR THE YEAR 2038.

IS THE E-FLIGHT P-47 IN KIT FORM?

JOHN
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 09:16 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
The E-Flite P-47 comes out of the box pre-painted, and 90% pre-constructed. Just spend about 2 hours building, and you're ready to fly!

But enough about these other airplanes -- let's get back to the Flying Styro P-38!
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 09:50 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
Tommy D's Avatar
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
John

Head down to Larry’s Hobby. He has at least 2 P-47's in stock, and an assembled one hanging from the ceiling.

Red, FWIW I have 8 PL 2100 3S packs. I use them in most applications that draw upwards of 30-32A @ WOT. I can tell you at that level the packs get fairly warm fairly fast if not exposed to a nice supply of fresh cooling air. On 1 plane it made me rebuild the nose and actually add "cannons" that doubled as cooling holes.

This winter I have pulled as much as 29A on 3 packs I don't have in storage. I'm on the LVC in about 2-3 minutes of WOT flying.

Why am I typing all this? Just figured I would let you know my experiences so far with this supposed "50A" burst pack. Yes I like the packs a lot, but 50A? they have got to be kidding me!

On the other hand with a pair of those little Gems in a lightweight FSK P-38 your NOT going to be flying WOT very much!

Best of luck on the build, I know what it's like when it gets personal!

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 09:51 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
MERLIN V16's Avatar
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
The E-Flite P-47 comes out of the box pre-painted, and 90% pre-constructed. Just spend about 2 hours building, and you're ready to fly!

But enough about these other airplanes -- let's get back to the Flying Styro P-38!
I THOUGHT I READ ABOVE IN POST #6 THAT YOU WERE SELLING ONE,FOR THE RIGHT PRICE!
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 02:52 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Wow! Special thanks to EDF NUT (Travis) who sent me a private message telling me of a trick of the trade...

I was having some trouble finding some 16 gauge, stranded, flexable, lightweight wire -- I need it to get power from the battery to the TWO ESCs for the P-38... EDF NUT told me to go to a car audio business and ask them for some scrap wire. Here's what happened -- I walked up to the counter and...

I say, "Okay, this is going to be a really strange question... I fly remote control airplanes, and..."

The man interrupts me, and says, "Hang on right there. Let me get the remote control airplane guy."

He goes out to the installation area, and comes back out with one of the installation crew. I explain what I'm doing, and ask for some scrap 16 gauge wire. He acts like he is my best friend -- very friendly -- after all, we have common ground!

He takes me back into the installation area, and we look as several large spools of wire. He lets me pick the wire I want, and pulls of a HUGE abount of wire. I told him I didn't need that much wire, so he put some back... We talked about airplanes for several minutes, and I gave him my business card -- it turns out we fly in the same soccer fields!

When I got home, I measured the wire he gave me -- a single length of 8 feet (two wires, so 16 feet of single wire total), free of charge! ...and I was looking for scraps!
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 04:44 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
MERLIN V16's Avatar
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
Build Pics

I know it's a pain and an extra step,But I hope you will be able to take some photos along with the build. Unless you plan on posting the entire project.
(that would be fine as well :-)

John
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 06:35 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Yeah, I usually take (and post) lots of pictures. This thread will not be for the bandwidth-challenged.
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flying Styro P-38 question Mike_Then Parkflyers 4 Aug 25, 2004 11:00 AM
Flying Styro P-38 Mike_Then Foamies (Kits) 5 Aug 24, 2004 05:32 PM
Flying Styro P-38 Alfa P-51 (all silver) new2heli Parkflyers 3 Jun 12, 2004 09:23 PM
Flying Styro P-38 spy shots Chris Nicastro Scale Kit/Scratch Built 9 May 26, 2004 09:26 PM
Flying Styro P-38 vonJaerschky Scale Kit/Scratch Built 0 May 21, 2004 11:03 AM