HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2002, 10:09 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
706 Posts
Why does Channel 60 not work on my plane?

In this hobby, I have learned many many things the hard way (expensive way too!).

I recently had a glitching issue with my F22 Raptor. A note about this plane, it is a pusher jet and has power wires running the full length of the fuseloge. I initially suspected radio interference problems, so I tried several locations, even one that was 200 miles away! The glitching did not go away, so I assumed it was not related to the channel I was using (channel 60).

I tried with both JR and Hitec equipment, both transmitters and receivers to no avail. Since all the equipment acted the same way, I then tried different spacing techniques, wire twisting, foil wrapping, etc... Hours upon hours of testing... (I need to vent, thanks!) Nothing worked... By process of deduction, I was down to speed control and channel. I nearly changed out the brushless speed control (Hacker Master) first, but because of the expense and time involved, I thought I would change the channel first, what the heck... I put in channel 32 (My Hitec Eclipse has a spectra unit, so thankfully this was not that difficult). And there you go, solid radio performance...!

So the question is, why does channel 60 not work on my plane, but channel 32 does. I think I have ruled out local interference, especially considering that 60 has worked in my glow trainer in the past at one of the locations.

Are some channels inherently better than others?

RPatrick

P.S. I am smiling now
RPatrick is offline Find More Posts by RPatrick
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2002, 11:02 PM
Fallbrook, CA
Joined Oct 1998
1,113 Posts
Patrick,

Are you sure the Rx crystal was a good one?

Art
Arthur Knowles is offline Find More Posts by Arthur Knowles
Old Jun 13, 2002, 11:21 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
706 Posts
I used both a Hitec 555 with a Hitec crystal on 60, and also a JR600 with a JR crystal on 60. Same problems...
Old Jun 14, 2002, 05:15 AM
Fallbrook, CA
Joined Oct 1998
1,113 Posts
Patrick,

Then I think you would be looking for some kind of harmonic problem. Bt that I mean something that is 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, or some fraction of the radio frequency. Possible cause might include a metal pushrod of just the right length. Carbon fiber spar. Or something similar that is just the right size to cause a reflection (interference).

But I'm not a radio genius or anything. Just my 2 cents worth.

Art
Arthur Knowles is offline Find More Posts by Arthur Knowles
Old Jun 14, 2002, 11:09 AM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
706 Posts
Thanks for the response.

I have read some of the debate about whether or not receivers are tuned in some sort of way. Some have said that they are tuned to the middle of the band of channels.

Assuming that is true, the reception would be better to some extent on channel 32 than on channel 60. In most situations this difference may not be significant, but in a plane with very long wire runs it may make a difference. This could be what is going on here...

RPatrick
Old Jun 14, 2002, 11:35 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,129 Posts
What channel was your transmitter on when you bought it?
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Jun 14, 2002, 12:14 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
706 Posts
My JR Transmitter was on channel 60.

My Hitec has a spectra unit which allows me to change the frequency to what I need.
Old Jun 16, 2002, 01:49 AM
Dallas Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2002
111 Posts
Hitec

RPatrick,

That's a mighty fine Hitec transmitter you have there. It must be nice to be able to change channels like that. Maybe one of these days I will let you fly one of my planes with it..........

RC Pete
RC Pete is offline Find More Posts by RC Pete
Old Jun 17, 2002, 02:03 AM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
RP,

just for kicks did you try the Spectra on Ch 59?

Roger
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara