HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2006, 09:14 PM
Joined Jan 2006
95 Posts
Discussion
foam safe ca not working...need moisture???

i am building a depron model. i tried putting the first pieces together using great planes medium foam safe ca tonight and they didnt stick...not at all. i hear ca uses moisture to cure...is this correct? its very dry here now being january...do i need to moisten the joints before applying the ca?

also...what is kicker...will water so the same thing?
yodie001 is offline Find More Posts by yodie001
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2006, 09:40 PM
usual old know-it-all
Blackpool,U.K.
Joined May 2005
1,315 Posts
Get some kicker,it will dry almost instantly.Be careful though the quick drying effect can produce heat and melt foam,use sparingly.
I tried water didnt seem to work,kicker aint dear.I use the hand pressure spray one.can dip a cotton bud in for delicate work.......
brodjack is offline Find More Posts by brodjack
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:32 PM
the-plumber
Joined Feb 2003
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodie001
i am building a depron model. i tried putting the first pieces together using great planes medium foam safe ca tonight and they didnt stick...not at all.
Didn't stick . . . .

Does that mean the CA did not cure, or that the CA cured but did not bond to the depron ?

If the latter, odds are good that there were fingerprints or some other oily substance on the depron.

CA doesn't like oil, so the last step before applying CA is to wipe the parts of the joint with denatured alcohol (not drug store isopropyl or 'rubbing' alcohol.
the-plumber is offline Find More Posts by the-plumber
Old Jan 27, 2006, 04:13 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,768 Posts
Yes CA does need moisture to cure. Yes depron is often too dry to kick it off (there's always enough residual moisture in balsa but not in foams). I've had considerable success just very lightly damping the joints before gluing.

Spraying lightly with water after you've assembled it can work too. Kicker also works but be careful not all kickers are foam-safe. It would be a shame to buy that expensive foam-safe CA and then have the kicker melt your work into a puddle .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick