Old Jan 25, 2006, 06:27 PM
Coaxially Fixated
Rochester N.Y.
Joined Oct 2005
1,899 Posts
Idea
converting between brushed and brushless

hi
Mike abcd brought up an intertesting idea that i had wondered about too , a slick setup would be a small daughter board to go between the 4 in 1's motor output , that would drive the input to a brushless ESC ( for a BCX you would need two ) , the idea would be you could just buy the two converters and plug them into the motor outputs of the 4 in 1 and then plug your brushless ESC's and motors into them , this would let you use the stock TX and as much of the stock setup as posible and would make converting to brushless easier for more people , i know there is a hack for the Blade CP to convert to brushless , but people get squeamish hacking into circuit boards , and this would be just plug and play , and simply involve unplugging the stock motors and plugging the converters into the now empty sockets on the 4 in 1 , it would involve converting the PWM signal driving the motor back into a servo PWM signal , and feeding it into the brushless ESC , this is a simplified explanation as you would need to tap the battery too , i wanted to start this discussion in a new thread , rather then hijack the weight thread any further

i think for best performance and weight savings a conventional seperates setup like i have posted on before is still the way to go , the main idea with this would be a easy way to end up with brushless machine and not have to sink a ton of money into the setup

i thought this would be a good place to bat the idea around and see what people think about it , dana
copperclad is offline Find More Posts by copperclad
Last edited by copperclad; Jan 25, 2006 at 06:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:13 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Dec 2005
827 Posts
I'd love that! I love my BCX, and ready to bling it out as much as possible. I have hours and hours on my motors, but would love a 'simple' improvement, and not the total redesign as you have done Dana. Its great that this heli is so hackable so everyone can do as they want. People like me have to wait for a 'kit' How about coreless?
rickgode is offline Find More Posts by rickgode
Old Jan 25, 2006, 08:59 PM
Joined Nov 2005
112 Posts
Sounds like an awesome idea to me. I'd LOVE a simple plug and play method of going brushless. I thought about seperates (I'd love to fly the CX on my Spektrum DX6 TX), but I don't know about spending $250-$300 on a $190 heli. I knwo nothing about electronics, so I don't have a clue how hard/complicated/expensive it would be, but if it will work, I'd certainly do it!
remoteav8r is offline Find More Posts by remoteav8r
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:53 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,444 Posts
Dana, figure out a way to do that, then sell it to us, and you will be a very rich person.
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jan 26, 2006, 01:57 AM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
Congrats, you've described the PowerZone adapter board.

It converts a brushed motor output into a servo signal, so you use a brushless ESC.

So you would need two Powerzone adapter boards and two brushless ESCs.

More info on the Powerzone adapter board here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430386

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Jan 26, 2006, 05:21 AM
Coaxially Fixated
Rochester N.Y.
Joined Oct 2005
1,899 Posts
hi Toshi
thanks for posting , i was hoping someone would have a good answer , it looks like they are $27.00 apiece and plug right in , , now we just need someone with a BCX and 4 in 1 , willing to try it , thanks again , dana
Old Jan 26, 2006, 05:50 AM
e-flight in 24½th Century
Cypress, TX
Joined Jul 2004
525 Posts
OK, I'm a bit lost I understand (as much as I ever do) about this but where are we putting this in the system? I'm thinking we're putting it in place of the present motor connections???

4-1 board-->Powerzone-->brushless ESC-->brushless motor ??

and we'll need two as these birds have 2 motors (that I understand)

thanks for someone clearing this up
W
Waldo Pepper is offline Find More Posts by Waldo Pepper
Old Jan 26, 2006, 06:21 AM
Coaxially Fixated
Rochester N.Y.
Joined Oct 2005
1,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo
4-1 board-->Powerzone-->brushless ESC-->brushless motor
hi Waldo
yes , it would be unplug the motor from the 4 in 1 , and plug the powerzone in , the powerzone comes with directions that would explain how to do this , but the idea is that it would be plug and play , dana
Old Jan 26, 2006, 08:03 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,444 Posts
hmmm, interesting..... thats a little more than im willing to pay at this point, but looks cool....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jan 26, 2006, 08:28 AM
Coaxially Fixated
Rochester N.Y.
Joined Oct 2005
1,899 Posts
hi dacaur

yes , it still adds up to a chunk of change , but it would save having to have a good TX ( for seperates ) and the cost of a RX and gyro , so i think it cuts the money for seperates in half and makes brushless that much more do-able for people , as there is not much of a hack involved either , i have to say , this looks good , but untill someone tries it and is successful , we don't really know it will work , dana
Old Jan 26, 2006, 09:03 AM
Suspended Account
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Dec 2000
4,072 Posts
Yeah a decent RX is $50.00 and a Gyro $100.00.... compared to 2 Powerzone modules at $27.00 each ($54.00).

With either setup you still need 2 brushless ESC's say 2 Cool Running A-10's at $30.00 each and 2 brushless motors at perhaps $50.00 each.

So all in it looks like about $214.00 really not bad for a brushless setup.

Anybody know the Kv for the stock Mabuchi Speed 180 to match to a small brushless motor?

Brad
bradpaul is offline Find More Posts by bradpaul
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 26, 2006, 09:04 AM
Novice
USA OHIO
Joined Nov 2005
435 Posts
Well reads good so reckon I will give it a try in the next week or so
GaryL is offline Find More Posts by GaryL
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:11 AM
Coaxially Fixated
Rochester N.Y.
Joined Oct 2005
1,899 Posts
hi
with the link toshi provided there is more info on the powerzone module , it would be worth going over it carefully to see if we are missing something , i've just breazed through it and it looked good but i worry we might be jumping the gun , dana
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:44 AM
Novice
USA OHIO
Joined Nov 2005
435 Posts
I have ask for more info. on the board as at this time states it only works with "Keep in mind that it is small, easy to use, and works only with the ParkZone Stryker and ParkZone P-51 R/C system."

Will let ya know what he has to say.

GaryL novice
GaryL is offline Find More Posts by GaryL
Old Jan 26, 2006, 02:30 PM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryL
I have ask for more info. on the board as at this time states it only works with "Keep in mind that it is small, easy to use, and works only with the ParkZone Stryker and ParkZone P-51 R/C system."

Will let ya know what he has to say.

GaryL novice
You should read the other threads which are referenced in the PowerZone thread. People have used it with the Blade CP to convert the main motor to brushless.

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita