SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2006, 03:29 PM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
Discussion
What girls think of our planes (from the girls)

soulys's girlfreind wrote this in her blog, and he posted it in the high performance electric forum. its kidna funny, so here it is.

-----------------------------------------------------

Discussion - My girlfriend wrote this in her blog

----------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

A day in the life of me & my RC-loving boyfriend.

Radio control (RC) is the use of radio signals to remotely control another device. The term is used frequently to refer to the control of model cars, boats, airplanes, and helicopters from a user-held control box (radio.).

Airplane

Pronunciation: 'ar-"plAn, 'er-
Function: noun
Etymology: alteration of aeroplane
: a powered heavier-than-air aircraft that has fixed wings from which it derives most of its lift.

My boyfriend sits at his worktable in his RC Room for HOURS upon hours building these toy planes. (He freaks out if I call them toys but whatever...they're toys.)

Each time he starts to build a new one, he tells me "this one will be done fast, honey." So far, the fastest has been about 3 nights during which he spent at least 5 hours/night. He builds the plane, and right when I think he's done, he takes it apart and uses some stinky glue to put it all back together. I don't get that. THEN, he'll take apart a perfectly good plane that just days ago was his favorite plane, gut it, use the parts for the new plane he's building, sell what's left of the former favorite plane, then take the newer plan on its maiden voyage, get sick of it, see another new plane on the RC sites, order it, build it, take apart the plane from yesterday, and then complain about having nothing to fly.

When hes not doing that, he's at his computer with about 5 RC sites open, chatting with fellow RC fanatics and exchanging info about brushless motors, servos, and whatever else RC people talk about (those are the only words I remember). He stares at spreadsheets full of what he calls "specifications." To me, they look like impossible to solve equations. He uses these "specifications" to figure out how to make his planes go as fast as they can. (He's made it clear that it's not important how HIGH it goes, but how FAST...and this method MUST NOT work b/c a few of his planes have "folded" mid-air... so seriously, they need a new technique.) AND GOD FORBID his plane "folds" (by the way, this means it BREAKs while it's in the air) and crashes. That boy took me to a field once to find his missing plane and its missing parts, and I was in the car for an HOUR as he combed the field looking for anything he could salvage....ugh!! We went home empty-handed, by the way.

He takes pictures of his newly put-together planes and posts them on his RC forums (yes, they have forums)... and shows off his planes, kind of how new moms send out like 97 pictures of their newborn babies and ALL the pictures look the same. Yea, its like that.

The worst is when he is ALMOST done and he is ready to "test the bad boys out." (His words, not mine.) I always get a warning first...if I touch the propellers, my finger(s) will get chopped off. I've heard that about 600 times. Then he turns on the motor and the little plastic propeller spins fast and makes a loud annoying noise and seeing the smile on his face, you'd think he just build a new United Airlines passenger jet. But nope...it's just a toy. And for the price that he pays to put together this little plane that will only fly in circles in a field, I could fly in a REAL plane to and from Hawaii once a week AND have plennnttyyy of spending money for lots of shopping.

It's more of an obsession than a hobby and I don't get it.

It sucks sometimes because our weekend plans are based on how windy the day is. Windy means no flying time and a beautiful day means we'll be at the field for a long time. It's a catch 22...I love pretty days but, do I have to wish for wind to do the things I want to do? L

When he says he'll only fly for ten minutes, that's like an NFL game having 10 minutes left. Somehow, it turns into an hour.

Sometimes dinner plans get pushed out an houror three, because he has to fix something on the same plane he supposedly finished two nights prior.

Sometimes we have to watch the midnight showing of a movie instead of the 9pm show for the same reason. ANDDDDI dont even get to pick the movie!

Sometimes a trip to the mall somehow detours and brings us to the hobby store to buy more RC stuff. A few nights ago, I wanted to buy a Belgian waffle maker. He WAS driving me to Lowes to pick it up, but we ended up at a hobby store to buy some plastic tube things. Not sure where that hobby store came.

He did make me a plane though, and I decorated it with cute stickers and he added some sparkly, colorful lights to it so its illuminated when I fly at it night. So far, I've destroyed it a number of times between crashing into trees, pavement, etc., but with scotch tape and wooden sticks, he always fixes it. I'm TRYING to learn to fly my plane so we can have something to do together that he likes.

I care about the little booger and if it makes him happy...well, I can't lie and say then it makes me happy because it definitely doesn't, but...somehow, even though I complain, I think he knows I don't mind as long as he remembers I'm there, too.

I love him...what can I say?
----------------------------------------------------------
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Last edited by raptor22; Jan 25, 2006 at 06:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2006, 03:54 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,663 Posts
He needs to take up slope soaring.
Then they can do stuff together on nice non-windy days, instead
of the other way around.

BTW, I think if the root of her (any her) day to day
happiness is being with him, then she's always going to be unhappy.
I don't think it's possible to be the SO of an R/C enthusiast
without a pretty fair level of independence. From what I've
seen 9 out of 10 women I've met, who've witnessed what
we do, find it interesting for no more than 5 minutes, then
they want to go home. I do know some who will hang around
at the slope with their BF or hubby for hours, but they're
there to be with him, not because they enjoy the hobby.
I had a relationship several years ago that was like that
and frankly I found it distracting, because I either wanted her
to feel free to do her own thing, or to share the hobby with her,
while she just sat there and watched me feeding off my
excitement for the hobby, which is frankly a little draining.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Jan 25, 2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 04:12 PM
ALL IN !
Carlsbad, California, United States
Joined Feb 2004
2,786 Posts
Alex loves him too ?
Louied is offline Find More Posts by Louied
Old Jan 25, 2006, 04:27 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Classic....

Sounds like my wife talking....

Hey ....

THUREN is offline Find More Posts by THUREN
Old Jan 25, 2006, 04:38 PM
Laughs at his own jokes.
Missoula, Montana, United States
Joined Feb 2002
1,168 Posts
My wife would read this and just nod her head. Except I call them toys too.
IwantaJet is offline Find More Posts by IwantaJet
Old Jan 25, 2006, 04:59 PM
No slope for richardo
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2005
2,265 Posts
Wow, it's like there's an echo somewhere... My girl likes the slope as long as all of the following apply:

1.) It's sunny
2.) but not to hot
3.) there is a spot where the wind isn't blowing to hard
3.5) or spot where the wind isn't blowing at all
4.) some shade
5.) someone to talk to
6.) We are only there for an hour or so
7.) she has a book to read
8.) It isn't too rocky
9.) There's a nice view
10.) No Rain
11.) No Snow
12.) ....

Her words: "What do you mean? I had a great time when you were flying in Maui, we should go do that again..."
Endless Sloper is offline Find More Posts by Endless Sloper
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2006, 05:38 PM
Joined Dec 2005
107 Posts
So I'll try building her a EPP (read: near indestructable) and try to take her out flying too... Getting a tandem bike took care of several issues. But no buddy box, she'll have to be on her own.
element2tandem is offline Find More Posts by element2tandem
Old Jan 25, 2006, 05:41 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Aug 2005
692 Posts
Any man with any hobby (from flying to watching sports on the TV) can spend "too much" time and money and energy on it. But women can do the same thing with their hobbies & interests...

How many men complain about the number of pairs of shoes their girlfriends/wives have; or how long they take to shop?

Balance between personal time and "together time" seems to be the key; and that balance is unique to each couple.

Heck, in auto-racing I've even seen couples come to the same event, drive and/or work for different teams, and then go home together - because they both enjoy the sport but drive each other nuts of they try to do it together. *shrug*

The real enemy here is time, always a limited amount of time... I've said it before: I wanna be on the first colony to Mars. Space is cool and all, but the REAL reason is so that I can have that 24.5 hour Martian day! An extra half-hour EVERY day, woo-hoo!

--Noel
NWade is offline Find More Posts by NWade
Old Jan 25, 2006, 05:53 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
A great comment from an ex-girlfriend: I thought your glider was really cool when I thought you only had one.

SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Jan 25, 2006, 06:05 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by element2tandem
So I'll try building her a EPP (read: near indestructable) and try to take her out flying too... Getting a tandem bike took care of several issues. But no buddy box, she'll have to be on her own.
Unless she's really pushing you for this, it won't work. Now this is a
stereotype so don't everyone jump down my throat, but it'd be like her
trying to get you excited about shoe shopping, or hosting pampered chef
parties, or scrapbook parties, or redecorating the house.. etc. It's
something you might be able to do, maybe even enjoy *once*, but not over
and over and over again. Think of R/C soaring from her perspective
in that light. Also from what I've observed, *in general*, women are
social animals. They choose hobbies which primarily involve being *with*
other people (usually women) first, and doing something second. Guys
like to do stuff first, and do it with (show off to), or against (compete with)
other people second. Guys enjoy the social aspect but many, especially
in our hobby, don't depend on it to draw enjoyment from the hobby.

Also, women seem to like to have 5 different trains of thought racing
around in their heads all the time. They're thinking about personal
stuff, family stuff, money matters, community stuff, all while
driving, or talking to you or whatever. Guys, have the ability (much
to the disbelief of women.. Seriously, I've had this conversation
with many of them) to focus on a single activity, a single
train of thought for hours upon hours upon hours, and most importantly
block out *all that other stuff* without effort. I tell women friends
of mine this, and many just don't believe it. They can't *stop*
thinking about other stuff, and don't believe that guys can.
When they ask "What are you thinking?" while you're watching TV,
they simply don't believe, that you weren't thinking about anything
at all. R/C slope soaring is one of those activities that allow men to
stop thinking about everything else immediately. I liken it to meditation.
And there's very little room for other thoughts. I can drive a car
and talk on the cell phone, but slope soaring and talking on the
cell phone is a major challenge. It's not an activity you can
ever put in the background while you chat with someone else.
For us, the chatting/taunting, is the background and soaring comes first.

That's just my opinion though. There are always exceptions.
I'd love to meet one.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2006, 06:10 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,418 Posts
My wife and I have a great relationship. I get to go flying and she gets rid of me for a while.

27 years and still going strong!

mw (bugging out manana to the AZ Electric Fest for the weekend with my bud Tim after a 24 hour stop in Glamis)
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jan 25, 2006, 06:24 PM
Where's the wind?
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2004
5,855 Posts
I can count the number of girls I have seen in the hobby on one hand that weren't doing it to be with a boyfriend or husband. One lady in NC who flew helis and didn't have a significant other in the hobby. A young girl (Marley was her name I think) at the MWSC in Kansas that flew in the combat competition. I think her picture is in the latest Model Avation Mag. There have been a couple others, but few and far between.

I have seen a couple work it out where the wife does all the covering and painting as she sees it as an artistic thing. The husband does all the building and flying.

BTW my xwife took all the planes I said were her's with her when she left so be warned going down that route. She tried to learn to fly to be with me at first but soon gave up and wouldn't attempt for fear others would laugh at her when she made a mistake. I tried to correct the notion but to no avail.

I totally agree with Ian on the blocking the world out with guys vs the multitasking minds of women.

Andrew
the_canuck is offline Find More Posts by the_canuck
Old Jan 25, 2006, 06:25 PM
In the (inclined) loop
Up North
Joined Mar 2001
434 Posts
What a great post!

She knows character (and probably picked a pretty good one in Souly, I'd say).

Honest, good writing!
spaulj is online now Find More Posts by spaulj
Old Jan 25, 2006, 06:48 PM
San Dimas, 40 km east of Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2002
1,344 Posts
Promise her an evening with candle lights after every R/C outing !.
ktoey is offline Find More Posts by ktoey
Last edited by ktoey; Jan 26, 2006 at 12:23 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 07:44 PM
Boar? I'm a Thermal Pig!
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Aug 2004
916 Posts
She suffers from PMS.
Puttin up with Men's Stuff!

Sorry guys I got the no-no warning and had to edit
Batmanwpg is offline Find More Posts by Batmanwpg
Last edited by Batmanwpg; Jan 26, 2006 at 06:00 AM.