HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2006, 09:32 AM
Negative altitude hurts
Litchfield Park, AZ
Joined Feb 2005
392 Posts
Build Log
GWS P-51 Build Thread

I am building a GWS P-51. I'm starting with the "slope glider" kit because I wanted to finish it myself and I had no use for the brushed motor the ARF version comes with.

So far I have glued the pushrod guides into the fuselage halves. I have removed most of the lower motor stick channel because it was interfering with the motor I'm going to use. I also removed the foam the forms the top of the battery compartment. I want to use a TP Prolite 1320 which wouldn't fit in the stock battery compartment.

I had the bright idea to remove some excess foam from the fuselage to lighten it. It turned out to be wasted effort. All of the foam I have removed so far saved about 2g. The fuse half that has the tail weighs about 2g more than the half without. If the entire vertical tail weighs only 2g I would have to remove ALOT of foam to save a meaningful amount of weight.
m00se is offline Find More Posts by m00se
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2006, 09:40 AM
Negative altitude hurts
Litchfield Park, AZ
Joined Feb 2005
392 Posts
Here's the hardware that's going into the plane:

GWS blue retracts
Airtroncs receiver
Airtroncs, HiTec, and GWS servos
Castle Creations T-Bird 18 ESC
Ultrafly A/30/29 motor

I haven't decided how to finish this plane yet. Paint? SoLite? Fiberglass? Kevlar? I'm leaning toward glassing the whole thing with .5oz/sq yd glass cloth and WBPU, but I'm still concerned about the weight gain. I found a .25oz/sq yd Kevlar veil, but it's expensive. I welcome suggestions.

Does anyone bother to remove the tiny foam "rosettes" from the mating surfaces of the fuselage halves? They don't seem to have much effect on the fit.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:45 PM
Negative altitude hurts
Litchfield Park, AZ
Joined Feb 2005
392 Posts
Here are the fuselage halves with some material removed from the lower motor stick channel. I actually removed more foam but I forgot to take a final pic before gluing. After this pic was taken I removed most of the rest of the lower motor stick channel, a little from the turtle deck, and the entire ceiling of the battery compartment.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:58 PM
Negative altitude hurts
Litchfield Park, AZ
Joined Feb 2005
392 Posts
Before gluing I scraped the rosettes off with my fingernail. I have never used Gorilla Glue before, but I have seen several comments here that it works well for foam. I applied glue to one half of the fuse and slightly dampened the other. After pressing the halves together I had plenty of working time to make fine adjustments to the fit.

I was concerned that the glue would come out of the seams and stick the tape to the fuselage. That turned out to be a non-issue. The tape came off clean, even where a small amount of Gorilla Glue had stuck to it.

The clamps on the tail worked well. I used a paper towel folded up so that I had about eight layers of paper towel between the clamp and the foam. No marks on the foam

Combined weight of the fuse halves before gluing: 52g. Weight of the glued fuselage: 52g OK, my scale's resolution is a bit lacking, but it's safe to say the GG added less than 2g to the fuselage and it seems to be very solid.

I started to hollow out the wheel wells in the wing for the retracts. Not easy with a #11 blade Suggestions, anyone?
Old Jan 30, 2006, 02:12 PM
Some kind of Paradiddle
United States, NY
Joined Nov 2005
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se

I started to hollow out the wheel wells in the wing for the retracts. Not easy with a #11 blade Suggestions, anyone?

This works great.
Ramones, The is offline Find More Posts by Ramones, The
Old Jan 31, 2006, 12:20 AM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
2,009 Posts
[QUOTE=m00se]I haven't decided how to finish this plane yet. Paint? SoLite? Fiberglass? Kevlar? I'm leaning toward glassing the whole thing with .5oz/sq yd glass cloth and WBPU, but I'm still concerned about the weight gain. I found a .25oz/sq yd Kevlar veil, but it's expensive. I welcome suggestions.
QUOTE]

I've glassed my GWS Zero that was almost completely destroyed in several crashes with Minwax Polycrylic and tissue craft paper (the kind you get in the present boxes with new clothes). The finish is very durable and light. The plane now looks as good as new and gets alot of complements on the finish. It's not as strong as fiberglass and laminating epoxy or minwax, but it does add strength and prevents most hanger rashes. At the bottom of a high G loop my friend's stock GWS Corsair wing will bend, the Zero's wing is rock solid.

I'm glassing my GWS ME109 the same way, just taking more time to get a better finish.

Good luck
RCDad is online now Find More Posts by RCDad
Old Jan 31, 2006, 12:30 AM
Negative altitude hurts
Litchfield Park, AZ
Joined Feb 2005
392 Posts
RCDad- interesting idea. Do you have any idea how much weight that adds?
Old Jan 31, 2006, 01:12 AM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
2,009 Posts
Quote:
RCDad- interesting idea. Do you have any idea how much weight that adds?
I have no idea! But it is weighs the least out of all the methods I've tried. It acutally weighs less now than it did originally with alot of painting mistakes over bare foam. I'll weigh it tomorrow to give you a better idea.

In the mean time, here is a picture.
Old Feb 01, 2006, 12:00 AM
Negative altitude hurts
Litchfield Park, AZ
Joined Feb 2005
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramones, The
This works great.
How about one of these? No time to work on the plane tonight. Hopefully I can try out the new Dremel tomrrow.
Old Feb 01, 2006, 11:34 PM
Negative altitude hurts
Litchfield Park, AZ
Joined Feb 2005
392 Posts
The Dremel tool worked nicely for creating wheel wells. I'm getting a painter's mask next time though... darn foam powder *cough* *cough*
Old Feb 02, 2006, 12:31 AM
überprüfen Sie Ihre sechs
Central Utah
Joined Feb 2005
480 Posts
Looking good, Ive got a set of retracts, I just may have to pick up a P-51 to put em in
czechyour6 is online now Find More Posts by czechyour6
Old Feb 02, 2006, 11:28 PM
Negative altitude hurts
Litchfield Park, AZ
Joined Feb 2005
392 Posts
There was no photograph-worthy progress tonight. The cockpit fasteners and the wing nut are now glued in. The supplied magnet seems strong enough to hold the cockpit in, but I have more magnets to augment it with if necessary. I also cleaned up the edges of the fuselage and horizontal stab, and scraped those rosettes from the left side of the vertical tail.
Old Feb 03, 2006, 06:58 AM
Some kind of Paradiddle
United States, NY
Joined Nov 2005
180 Posts
Quote:
How about one of these? No time to work on the plane tonight. Hopefully I can try out the new Dremel tomrrow.

Nice one. Cordless ? I love it for clearing away excess styrofoam, but like you said...it sure makes one heck of a mess !
Ramones, The is offline Find More Posts by Ramones, The
Old Feb 03, 2006, 09:29 AM
Negative altitude hurts
Litchfield Park, AZ
Joined Feb 2005
392 Posts
Yes, cordless. I've been eyeing dremel tools for a while. Variable speed was my main requirement. The price diff between a corded variable-speed model and this cordless one was $10. That was a hard decision The corded models are a little more powerful and robust, but for what I plan to do with it the cordless is more than powerful enough.
Old Feb 03, 2006, 12:04 PM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
2,009 Posts
Looking good mOOse!

I just weighed my paper glassed Zero. It comes in at 12 2/4 Oz without battery. This is very close to initial weight with just foam and paint.