HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2002, 06:47 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2001
908 Posts
Wohoo!! First flight on a Full-Scale T-6/SNJ Texan

Well guys i have been waiting for these pics to develop. I have a video of the whole flight too!!! Anyways when i went down to FLoridia (6th time to go to Disney world so i was bored) I begged my dad to take my to the warbird restoration musuem. That place was awesome had all kinds of planes including a Very nice DeHavilin (sp?) Vampire. Well while i was there i got to go up on a Texan. I flew the whole flight excecpt for take off. The pilot was very impressed with my flying and he was surprised that a could use the rudder while doing all kinds of stunts. He said most beginners normally dont ever touch the rudder. Well at first he would do a manerver (ahhh i cant spell but you get the point) and i would copy it. So i got to do loops, rolls, split s's, reverse cuban 's and others. The plane cant fly inverted long though cause it doesnt have a fuel pump that supports negitave g's (basiclly he said the engine would die and that would suck). So anyways at the end of the flight he just told me what to do and i would do it he ddnt even demonstrate it casue he said i was doing so well. He did keep on asking me if i felt find though becasue if i threw up it would take hours to clean the cockpit, Well i felt GREAT, even on the video when we are pulling an excess of 3-4 G's i have a big smile on my face. Well as we flew back to the airport, i flew the whole time. As we got on our landing aproach i was still flying (i keep thinking when is he going to tell me to let off the stick), he pulled up the flaps, lowered the landing gear and he said set her down! So he let me Land IT!!!! With the flaps down i had to pull back hard but i must say they slowed the play down quite abit. I wasnt expecting him to tell me to land becasuse i was about 200 feet up doing at turn right at the front of the runway lining up for it. I was sure that we could never slow down to land and i thought we were just going to make a line up approach. But as soon as he hit the flaps the plane dropped and slowed tremendously! Anyways after i landed i got to practice taxing (how do you spell that?) down the runway. Its kinda hard with the Texan becasue you have to zigzag becasue you cant see out the front. I must admit the Texan is very repsonsive for a training plane. But it was a Blast to fly!!! Anyways i have tons of pics but i only got a pic of one right now untill i dig out my scanner. I took pciture of a pictue so it probally looks bad. My parents didnt believe that the guy let me land untill i showed them the video that has us talking and shows him with no hands on the stick! (the videos views are on the wing, on the stab, and in both cockpits. So here is a pic. I am the little guy up front, wearing one of those brown headgear sets.

Oh one more note, when i got in the plane i was taught a quick lesson on how to use a parachut. They strapped me in and said "if he says go pull this level to open the window, pull this to undo your harness, and BAIL out!!!"
JStory is offline Find More Posts by JStory
Last edited by JStory; Jun 13, 2002 at 06:50 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2002, 07:03 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Man! I wanna do that!
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jun 13, 2002, 07:07 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2001
908 Posts
Ya it was great but let me put it this way, for the price it cost to take a 30 minute flight you could have bought a new rc plane ready to fly. it emptyed what little i had saved but it was worth EVERY penny!!!
Old Jun 13, 2002, 07:20 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
Fun times eh!!! My son is pilot and his girlfriend bought him an hour of aerobatics from the company that travels around the country with AT6's (I think it might be the same firm that you flew with). He had an absolute ball and was able to log the hour in his logbook. Definitely a very cool present.
Dave
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
Old Jun 13, 2002, 07:23 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,650 Posts
Jason

That's a great story- now you NEED to make yourself an e-flight Texan

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jun 13, 2002, 08:15 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,594 Posts
for my son's 13th birthday, he took a 45min hop in an snj at the Santa Monica Museum of flying. he was hooked. he got his pilots license before his drivers license..................gregg
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Old Jun 13, 2002, 09:32 PM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
4,024 Posts
That's awesome J.

How much $ and when can we see video ?.
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Jun 13, 2002, 10:13 PM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
I am 36, work for myself and never thought I would say this: I am JEALOUS!!!!! I want to do that!

Congratulations, I would say that those memories were well worth the price.
Mike C is offline Find More Posts by Mike C
Old Jun 13, 2002, 10:36 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
I can still remember the feeling of completeness to life that I felt in July of 1971 when the P-51 lifted off the runway at Van Nuys. It could have stuffed itself right then, and I would have died happy!
Old Jun 13, 2002, 11:29 PM
San Antonio, Texas USA
Joined Feb 2001
1,108 Posts
I have a similar story. I flew a twin engine cessna 401. I taxied, took off and had the full control of the yoke until about 200ft up before landing. Oh,,,during the flight the pilot told me, "let me have it." I took my hands off the yoke and then he asked me if I've ever felt negative G. I told him, NO,,he responded by shoving the yoke straight in the cockpit dash and we went into a nose dive. I floated up towards the ceiling and felt weightlessness for about 8 seconds. I was in AHHHHHHH,,,he then yells,,,,,,,"WATCH THIS". He pulls straight back on the yoke and we go into a hard vertical climb. It was totally awesome. Then he did a hard left turn and got as close to rolling it as he could. I was on a rush!!!!!!!! After that hotdoging he told me to take over the yoke. Way cool,,,,,,,,,!!!! This flight was free too. A friend of mine was the manager of an FBO and gave me the hook up.
cruzomatic is offline Find More Posts by cruzomatic
Old Jun 14, 2002, 03:57 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,546 Posts
spelling

In exchange for your posting the video, here's a bit of private tuition (just the ones you asked about).
de Havilland
Manouver (though we'd write "manoeuvre" on this side of the Atlantic just to be more awkward)
taxiing
Now, are you going to post a video clip ?
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Jun 14, 2002, 11:09 AM
Practice makes pieces..
North Berwick, ME
Joined Jan 2002
179 Posts
Umm, I believe that's "maneuver"

- matt
mluniewicz is offline Find More Posts by mluniewicz
Old Jun 14, 2002, 12:08 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,546 Posts
That so and so Webster again - you're right
why couldn't he leave English spelling the ay it was
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Jun 14, 2002, 07:45 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2001
908 Posts
Ok well i will post short video segments of me landing the plane and maybe some more of me doing barrel rolls which was my favorite maneuver.
Old Jun 14, 2002, 08:22 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
"Webster..why couldn't he leave English spelling the way it was?"
"The welkin shope hyme for to reyne"??? (Chaucer)
Or get outcher Beowulf to see how oriful it can be!
Engilish do be the official language of aviation.. which is why there's so many crashes in other lands.. You find you have to shout when the locals don't speak English, I've learned.