SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:37 PM
Joined Jan 2006
430 Posts
Build Log
Lord Nelson 1/8 scale (56") Victory Tug

Hi Folks,
New here, so thought I'd post a couple of pictures of my current, much enjoyed, scratchbuilt project. Goal is to get it in the water by late Spring. If anyone has questions, I'll answer them in about a week after possibly arranging them into a general construction sequence. Just a thought that may be beneficial...we'll see.

Moderators, if you can find a better place for this post, please move it.

I sure enjoy this site and the wisdom offered. Thanks.

Note: resized pictures below.
ooby is offline Find More Posts by ooby
Last edited by ooby; Jan 25, 2006 at 06:04 PM. Reason: add newly resized pictures
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2006, 02:13 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
24,008 Posts
Welcome, ooby! This is certainly the correct forum you chose. And what an impressive project! By all means, post more details and pictures. We all love pictures here!!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 25, 2006, 03:38 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Wow! Huge! I love it! Yes more and larger pictures please. If you set the width to about 600 pixels when resizing, it doesn't spread the screen.

I think my Terrier could captain that, well, ride in it.

How heavy is it? How thick is the planking? What woods are used? Which plans?

thanks, tt.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:21 AM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,616 Posts
What, you couldn't make it 1/6th scale and use the GI Joe figures. Just kidding, very nice boat by the way and welcome to the forum.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Jan 25, 2006, 11:30 AM
Vestby, Akershus, Norway
Joined Mar 2005
95 Posts
I love the look of your tug! and I like the scale, a 1/8 tug is really huge! Please post more pictures, I would really like to see more of this boat!

Where did you get the plan , I want one too!

Kjell (Building the 1/3 scale Flyer)
PunyV is offline Find More Posts by PunyV
Old Jan 25, 2006, 01:04 PM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
ooby,
Questions? Uh... can I have it?
- 'Doc
LtDoc is offline Find More Posts by LtDoc
Old Jan 25, 2006, 05:59 PM
Joined Jan 2006
430 Posts
Lord Nelson 1/8 scale (56") Victory Tug

Here are the same pictures, resized.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 06:25 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Hi ooby:
very nice job on that planking, I take it the line marks on the end of the cabin are a set of doors? What are you useing for running gear? RX & TX?
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:04 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,857 Posts
Hi ooby:

I am currently building the Dumas 1\16 scale Victory Tug. Did you use the the Dumas plans and double it. It sure looks great, I wish I could see it up close. If you have some other boats please post them on your gallery, Im sure everybody would like to see them. And keep the pictures coming on the Victory Tug.

Ed Crowell
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Jan 25, 2006, 11:59 PM
Joined Jan 2006
430 Posts
Thanks all for your generous welcome and kind words. I'll try to answer your questions, starting with the big picture, and then continuing toward the details.

Treetop, thanks for your tip on resizing pictures. I followed yours and another's advice and reposted better pics.

Treetop, PunyV and Ed -- PLANS -- I'm building two boats concurrently, the 1/16th Dumas Victory Tug and this 1/8th scale. I preferred to use actual 1/16-kit pieces as the basis of enlargement, not the plans. Most pieces of the kit, excluding dimensional stripwood and a few others, e.g., inner bulwarks, were enlarged with a "pantograph." It was set up on a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood on sawhorses. A well-prepared 1/16 part was then taped to the table, with the pantograph's pencil resting on heavy paper about 24" x 36". The pantograph's 24" size, the largest I could find and special order, was too small for the larger pieces such as formers. This necessitated establishing a "standard datum", which allowed accurate relocation of the pantograph to finish drawing the remainder of the template. Another option is to make one's own larger pantograph to the desired scale. I didn't give much consideration to scaling up the plans, because it seemed that doubling individual part sizes, rather than quadrupling the Dumas plan part sizes, would probably result in greater accuracy.

Large pieces such as cabin sides and decks, were drawn on mat board.

Individual templates were then scissors cut to accuracy, i.e., measured every which way, and folded in half vertically to ensure part and starboard dimensions were the same.

Resolving most dimensional issues at the template level still required an acute "reasonableness test" with each wooden part. During assembly, "That Looks About Right" was the final critique.

More to follow --
Old Jan 26, 2006, 01:33 AM
Joined Jan 2006
430 Posts
Treetop -- WEIGHT -- PLANKING -- WOODS

As it sat at the time of these pictures, it weighed 18.4 lbs, with a lot of work remaining. The hull has 3 coats of West System Epoxy and needs a couple more. It is covered with 5 oz cloth except over the stem and keel cap, which have 2 oz, since the 5 oz couldn't handle the outside radius. I used 5 oz when really could have used a lighter cloth, but thought it ok to add the additional weight, since it'll still require a considerable amount to push it down to the water line.

Keel is 1/2", 9-ply, Russian Baltic Birch plywood. Formers are 1/4", 5-ply, Russian Baltic Birch plywood. The rest of the plywood for the deck, inner bulwarks, and cabin, etc., is Finnish, purchased in 48" lengths and various thickness. Planking is 1/8" x 1/2" Basswood, also purchased in 48" lengths, then spliced for additional length. All other wood is Basswood.

Interior of the hull is water proofed with 45 minute epoxy mixed about 25% Xylol to Epoxy. Mix epoxy first, and then thin with Xylol. Xylene or Xylol are two names for the same product, same can, available at local hardware stores.

Cabin plywood will be protected with Interlux #1026, sealer, prior to primer. I've not used this product before, but will try it out. My brother said that it should work great.

I'll try to answer any further questions you may have.

More to follow
Old Jan 26, 2006, 01:46 AM
Joined Jan 2006
430 Posts
Ropanach, thanks for your compliment. The "line marks" are pencil lines showing the future location of cabin and aft cabin doors, and companion way. None of which has been started. Must have about 60+ pictures of real LNVTs from the web, which will provide the accuracy for those details when the time comes. I'll get back to you soon on the rest of your questions, re running gear and radio.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 05:37 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Thanks ooby, it's just awesome. And I don't use that word lightly or often.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Jan 26, 2006, 06:48 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,763 Posts
Hi Ooby, can you contact me offline? My e-mail is over there on the left.
Thanks!
Pat Matthews
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Last edited by patmat2350; Jan 26, 2006 at 07:39 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:53 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
24,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350
Hi Ooby, can you contact me offline? My e-mail is over there on the left.
Thanks!
Pat Matthews
I smell a magazine article cooking!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot