SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2006, 09:09 PM
Panama, Central America
Joined Sep 2002
500 Posts
Discussion
Henschel Hs 129B-3 (1/12th Scale, Twin S400 DD)

Inspired by my first e-design (the Messerschmitt Me 410A-1, see thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123776) I decided to pass for a little while on the 4 engined Me 264 (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455316) and build another twin before embarking on the larger 4 engined beast.

After going through my Luftwaffe book (I just LOVE German planes!), I decided to go once again into the lesser modeled models, and I finally decided on the Henschel Hs 129B-3.

For those not familiar with this plane, here's a short history:

Aside from the A-10 Warthog, the Hs 129 was the only plane especifically designed to destroy armor. Much like today's attack copters, it had a very slim fuselage, it was as small as possible, and packed the largest possible gun (or guns) you could fit in the plane. it was also very heavily armored; as in the A-10, the pilot sat in a bathtup of armor (in this case, steel) that covered the pilot almost to head level.

Although originally designed for twin Arguns air cooled V12's, the production model ended up being powered by captured French Gnome-Rhone radials that, although more powerful, proved very unreliable. The plane also started its life armed with twin 20mm MG 151/20's and two 7.92mm MG17's, while also being able to carry four 50kg bombs.

In the B-3 version, however, the plane incorporated a PaK 40L, a 75mm cannon (a modified version of the one carried on the Panzer IV tank!) that was able to knok out any tank in the world at that time, even on head-on attacks. Although slow and difficult to manouver, the plane proved more than capable of completing its mission (when air superiority existed) during operation Barbarossa.

THE MODEL

I decided to do this model a bit larger than the Me 410, because this plane is suppossed to be much slower, so instead of 1/16th scale, I opted for 1/12th scale, giving me a wingspan of 46" and a wing area of almost 310 square inches. I estimate weight at around 38oz, giving a 17oz/sq. ft. wing loading.

The construction will be similar to the Me 410, being mostly traditional balsa and ply, with a little white foam and fiberglass thrown in for the nacelles. power would be supplied by a 3s1p LiPoly pack (still dont have it, so I dont know what the mAh rating will be) powering twin Speed 400 7.2V motors on direct drive, spinning 5X5 props (prop size not final yet).

I am attaching a 3-view of the plane. I have already done the first draft of the plans, but I still got to fing the glitches on it when I build the plane.

I will most likely start construction next week (I will stop to repair the Me 410 when the motors arrive, but that should not take too long).

Felipe
jfrabat is offline Find More Posts by jfrabat
Last edited by jfrabat; Jan 28, 2006 at 07:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:49 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,908 Posts
I cannot wait! I know its early but do you plan on selling plans/parts. This is one of my favorite planes that is rarely modeled.

D-Rock
D-Rock is online now Find More Posts by D-Rock
Old Jan 24, 2006, 11:22 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,559 Posts
I can't wait to see more. I just started drawings for a 60" span version.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 25, 2006, 03:56 AM
Joinville -France
Joined Dec 2004
468 Posts
I'ce also start drawn one few years ago. for geared 400.
span around 1.30meter
today I'm finish an HVP Hs129, i'll send you a picture soon !
regards
Keep going Felipe, you are dawing all my favorite (i also was looking for the 410 !)
Fred
fredok is offline Find More Posts by fredok
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:46 AM
Panama, Central America
Joined Sep 2002
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredok
Keep going Felipe, you are dawing all my favorite (i also was looking for the 410 !)
Fred
Let me know if you are interested in the plans for the Me410, as I am already selling these.

For those that already built Hs129's, please post some pictures and flight reports; and how hard was it to balance? This plane has a rather short nose, and the straight leading edge brings the CG forward quite a bit...

By the way, this is the color scheme I am thinking about at this time, although I am not 100% decided at this time.

Felipe
Old Jan 25, 2006, 03:09 PM
Joinville -France
Joined Dec 2004
468 Posts
Mine is desert scheme, tunisia. green and sand.
I'will post a pict tomorrow as I go modelling tonite...
I'm waiting for the lipo that I've ordered. So I can't tell you more about CG reaching. I hope that the maiden will be this weekend if batteries are there, and weather OK.

Right Now, motors are Graupner Compact 320,(same as typhoon 15/10) current is 18A each, on a 3S pack, and 9*6 APC-e prop. Sound good for a trouble free maiden I think.

Felipe you did motive me to start another scratch build project, twin 400 too, the Breguet 693. I'll start a thread soon, as my draft drawing are OK.

Regards

Fred
Old Jan 26, 2006, 06:42 AM
Joinville -France
Joined Dec 2004
468 Posts
Hvp Hs 129

Here is the picture, as promised...
Not a nice shot, as you see my "workshop" is a bit dark....

regards

Fred
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:23 PM
Panama, Central America
Joined Sep 2002
500 Posts
I could not wait till next week, so here's my progress so far... I cut our the bulkheads, and started work on the fuse. Here's a couple of pictures of the progress so far, although it looks nothing like the plane at this point.

Fred,

Nice plane... On mine, I dont think I'll be able to resist putting that BIG cannon beneith it. I still got to figure out how to do it so it wont get ripped out on landings (mine has no LG).

Felipe
Old Jan 28, 2006, 01:18 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,908 Posts
How about a release mechanism, I.E. like a bomb drop right before landing. Or you could hide a single wheel in the middle of the gun pod (just the bottom of the wheel sticking out". Just a few quick ideas.

D-Rock
D-Rock is online now Find More Posts by D-Rock
Old Jan 28, 2006, 04:40 PM
Panama, Central America
Joined Sep 2002
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rock
How about a release mechanism, I.E. like a bomb drop right before landing. Or you could hide a single wheel in the middle of the gun pod (just the bottom of the wheel sticking out". Just a few quick ideas.

D-Rock
D-Rock,

thanks for the ideas... I dont think the wheel idea would work, though, as I am more worried about the cannon itself than the housing (which I sort of intend to use as the third gear with no wheel, but a double layer of glassing to make it stronger). This kind of ruins the dropping part too... I dont know, maybe if I use a solid music wire (I may need to add weight anyway to balance, and having the weight WAY up front may actually reduce total weight) or something along those lines, and be REALLY careful on landings.

In any case, I did make some progress today; here are som pictures... I do have to admit that the construction is a bit different from anything I have done, but it seems to be coming along nicely.

Felipe
Old Jan 28, 2006, 04:53 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,559 Posts
Looks great, I would love to get a set of plans for it once you've flown yours. I'd just assume get your plans instead of bothering to finish mine.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 29, 2006, 09:26 AM
Joinville -France
Joined Dec 2004
468 Posts
Hi felipe,
Nice work on your too.
I'll probably make a plug for the big 75mm gun under the fuse, but as know I prefer to make it fly like this.
This week-end no maiden, no batteries....

Cheers

Fred
Old Jan 30, 2006, 08:50 AM
Antwerp, Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
302 Posts
Hey Felipe,

I just came across something that might help solve your "cannon-problem".
A while ago, Spacemanspiff built a spitfire with cannons sticking out the wings.
He too was afraid they might be damaged when landing...

His solution: he let a small dowel (4-5mm) stick out the front of the wing. A piece of fuel tubing was put over it, with the cannon in the other end. This creates a flexible joint. the cannon will come off upon landing, but can easily be put back on.
(if you don't lose it in the grass )

good luck,
Frank
Frank_K is online now Find More Posts by Frank_K
Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:26 AM
Panama, Central America
Joined Sep 2002
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_K
Hey Felipe,

I just came across something that might help solve your "cannon-problem".
A while ago, Spacemanspiff built a spitfire with cannons sticking out the wings.
He too was afraid they might be damaged when landing...

His solution: he let a small dowel (4-5mm) stick out the front of the wing. A piece of fuel tubing was put over it, with the cannon in the other end. This creates a flexible joint. the cannon will come off upon landing, but can easily be put back on.
(if you don't lose it in the grass )

good luck,
Frank

Frank,

I like this idea... I think I will incorporate it into the design. Thanks for your help!

Felipe
Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:40 AM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
I've got a plan for this plane done by a Finish guy. It was for 704 combat. I've done the fuse from balsa and the wings from foam. I'm anxious to see what you do for the engine nacelles. This has hung me up. I've made some foam nacelles but they turned out too small. I'm looking for some sort of plastic storage container with the right profile.
Dave
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney