HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2006, 01:54 PM
United States, LA, Baton Rouge
Joined Jan 2005
568 Posts
Discussion
Servocity warning! Buyer Beware

If you buy a coreless digital servo, you can expect it to come in a cheap ziplock bag, no instructions, no cool hitec blue case, no stickers. On top of that you don't even know if is is used or not. You can also forget about giving it to somone as a gift.

Here are 5 6985 servos purchased from servocity: Notice the cheap 35 dollar digital comes with everything sealed, but the premium 85 dollar is in rags!

I personnlay think it is a ripp off because they don't give the customer ANY CLUE that it is going to be sent like this, instead they rather you get it; get pissed off; complain to them and then they might do a return. However now the startegy is to get rid of these servos asap.
Alkaline is offline Find More Posts by Alkaline
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2006, 02:12 PM
United States, IN, Evansville
Joined May 2001
1,765 Posts
I guess that did not bother me. Servo City seems to have the best prices around, and often they will have xx% off which makes them a lot cheaper. I have always had good service from them.
kenny_dilger is offline Find More Posts by kenny_dilger
Old Jan 24, 2006, 02:20 PM
Colorado Front Range, USA, EARTH, Sol system, Milkyway Galaxy
Joined Nov 2001
2,356 Posts
Betcha a dollar those came in a radio/servo combo.

They sold the radio to someone else and the servos to you.
The Other Dave is offline Find More Posts by The Other Dave
Old Jan 24, 2006, 02:38 PM
Bellbrook, OH
Joined May 2005
225 Posts
I agree with The Other Dave. VERY likely they were in a radio package. Sellers get radio packages rather cheap when compared to purchasing a radio, servo's, RX...etc as separate pieces. They make TONS more by selling the parts individually than as the radio package.
secretagentman is offline Find More Posts by secretagentman
Old Jan 24, 2006, 02:51 PM
Logan's Dad
Fresno, CA
Joined Mar 2002
161 Posts
Servos

I agree that Servo City should let the buyer know these are not retail boxed, but OEM packaged instead. Maybe even have them priced a buck cheaper than the retail boxed ones. But, at least that is the only thing that you are complaining about, unlike some other retailers that we see posts about.
rb765 is offline Find More Posts by rb765
Old Jan 24, 2006, 02:59 PM
Use the Force!
San Marcos, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,179 Posts
Yep, I agree. I had a friend of mine that used to use Futaba Conquest 6 channel radios all the time. He would buy 6 of them at a time when they were on sale at Tower Hobbies for $99.99 with 4 S-48 Servos. (We are talking 1994 time frame here) He would keep 2 of them and part out the other 4.

He would sell the transmitter by itself, without the battery, as a Buddy Box for $35.00. He would sell the transmitter battery for $15.00, the charger for $5.00, the switch harness for $5.00, the Receiver battery for $10.00, the receiver for $30.00, and the 4 servos for $10.00 each to people at swap meets. Total price for all the parts: $140.00, $40.00 more than he paid for the entire radio. Sell 4 at this price and you make back $560.00 of your original $600.00 cost for the 6 radios. This means that the 2 he kept cost him $20.00 each.

Now here is the best part, at the end of the flying season, he would part out the 2 that he flew all year as parts again. Now these radios, that cost him $20.00 each, would be parted out as used parts and he would get around $100.00 each for the parts. So the bottom line was that he got new radios every single year, flew them for 1 year, and made around a $150.00 profit each year doing it. Granted, there was some work involved, but everyone at the club always knew he had a box of radio parts in the back of his car at all times, and the parts sold themselves.

Not a bad deal!

Now imagine someone that owns a hobby shop buying complete radios at dealer cost, and parting them out the same way. Even more profit would be available. Is there anything wrong with doing this, absolutely not. The only cavaet would be that is you were selling servos, you would not want to show a photo of a servo in the nice factory packaging and then send one in a zip-lock bag. I would advertise them as "New Bulk Pack" servos so the buyer knows what they are getting. I don't mind saving a buck or 2 buying bulk servos, since all I do is tear open the package and throw it away anyhow.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Lucien
LBMiller5 is offline Find More Posts by LBMiller5
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 24, 2006, 03:16 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
wow, your friends time isn't worth much!! That's a lot of work for a couple dollars. Servo city has the best prices in part because the split up radio kits for us allowing us to buy transmitters without a flight pack if we don't want/need one. Keep up the good work and low prices Servocity.com

The fact that you felt the need to start a "buyer beware" thread because your servos were bagged and not boxed boggles my mind. Good grief.

Jim
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Jan 24, 2006, 03:35 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,068 Posts
Alk,

They must read this forum. I went to thier website because I had not heard of them before. I saw this when looking up HS81MGs.

NOTE: These servos will be shipped in clear bags with all mounting hardware and accessories. They were taken out of the OEM packaging to better fit in our radio system build program. They are brand new with full warranty. We only have a very limited number of them left at this price. Thanks

http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-81mg_micro.html
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Jan 24, 2006, 03:44 PM
Missouri
Joined Jul 2005
483 Posts
You forgot to mention that the receipt comes in cheap B&W printed paper. We need to start another thread to help get the word out about this serious issue also.
3d-flyer is offline Find More Posts by 3d-flyer
Old Jan 24, 2006, 03:47 PM
Jim
North Alabama
Joined Mar 2004
1,866 Posts
Now that is has been mentioned, I don't recall ever getting instructions with a servo! Maybe I'm just not observant and missed them! I've never needed any though.
Jim_W is offline Find More Posts by Jim_W
Old Jan 24, 2006, 03:50 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,419 Posts
But do they work?? I could care less how they're packaged. As long as they're a good price and work as advertised, who gives a rip?
I never got any instructions for any servos that I've bought either.
Now I'm angry.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jan 24, 2006, 03:55 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Jun 2002
1,133 Posts
Gads, I always throw the box away also, I've gotten HS55s from SC and they're flying - but I don't think they improved my flying as much had they been in boxes. It's a rip......
uniquewon is offline Find More Posts by uniquewon
Old Jan 24, 2006, 03:56 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Jun 2002
1,133 Posts
Oh, and another thing - them little ziploc bags are handy for little parts...
uniquewon is offline Find More Posts by uniquewon
Old Jan 24, 2006, 05:10 PM
Incredible User
DFW, Texas
Joined May 2004
234 Posts
Beware the dreaded BAG!!

Please don't try to stick on your head.. these can be very dangerous. Even the momentary lack of oxygen will probably cause slight brain damage posibly resulting in uncontrolled meaningless posts.
GutZee is offline Find More Posts by GutZee
Old Jan 24, 2006, 08:06 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,056 Posts
Put me down as a satisfied and happy customer of Servocity.com

I tried them out after hearing a lot of other happy customers, the kudos turned out to be deserved.

Excellent prices, fast shipping, personal service and human beings at the other end of the phone/email. I got some servos in bags, I just figured it was done to save the shipping by being able to use a smaller package to ship with. Certainly theyare brand new servos and they work just fine, I really don't give a flip about getting them in a cardboard box if they are the same product. i have bought planes from them as well as radio accessories and servos, everything has been top notch. They have one of the best deals on the Sky Scooter anyhwere, with a great page on hop-ups and modifications.

I really think the initial poster needs to have some tapioca and calm the hell down with the inflammatory accusations. Maybe he should have requested gift wrapping when he placed his order.
Aten W Arthog is offline Find More Posts by Aten W Arthog