HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:52 AM
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,437 Posts
Glad to hear you got her done fab. A couple first flight notes. Cg the airplane by lifting the aircraft with your fingertips at the wing leading edge sawtooth. The airplane should be level to slightly nose down. Avoid crosswinds until you're sufficiently comfortable with the airplane as it can be tough to manage in these adverse conditions. Lastly, don't horse the airplane around like a 3d bird, she don't like to play that way. fly it like you're in it.

Good luck on the first flight!

Chris
JetMang is offline Find More Posts by JetMang
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2011, 01:26 PM
Joined Jun 2009
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri6672 View Post
Hey Fab,

What is your AUW with batteries?? I am starting to collect components for mine and it looks like I am going with a TJ100 on 10s, My AUW should be just under 12lbs

As far as your decals go, you might want to consider doing the first couple flights with out the decals. I have found that just in case you get some rough landings on the maiden it is easier to go back and do repairs then add decals. Like the old saying make her "earn her paint"

Let us know when the maiden is and see if you can find someone to video!
Thanks ,
I don't know, i didn't do that homework....i am using 5000mA 5s 25cX2 and the engine is an eturbax 10s with esc ice 160A...by guessing i think is under 6Kg but i will let you know....
Fab3105 is offline Find More Posts by Fab3105
Old Aug 01, 2011, 09:41 PM
Joined Jun 2009
354 Posts
HI getting ready for the first flight...some issues with the cg so thinking to move the esc forward...2 5000mA are already in the cockpit(have to use the cockpit and pilot only for display!!) By the way do you guys fly with the pylon tanks on or do you use only for display?
Old Aug 02, 2011, 12:35 AM
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,437 Posts
I personally always fly with the pylons on. The full size did the same.

If the ESC is already set, is it possible to move the Rx pack around to get the cg where it needs to be?

Chris
JetMang is offline Find More Posts by JetMang
Old Aug 02, 2011, 07:40 AM
Joined Jun 2009
354 Posts
with all the batteries and rc pack is still off! I was thinking to move the esc...
Old Aug 02, 2011, 09:13 AM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
[QUOTE=Fab3105;18931215]with all the batteries and rc pack is still off! I was thinking to move the

The one I saw fly had the pylons but NO tanks leave them off for the first few flights.

That sounds strange that you are so tail heavy, from what I have read and seen most guys end up putting the rx pack back in the tail to help add tail weight.
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Aug 02, 2011, 09:22 AM
Joined Jun 2009
354 Posts
i know...the cg from the saw is still off with 2 batteries...wondering if moving the esc?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:10 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
Hey Guys,

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I really wanted to comment on my experience with the JHH A-7.

When I first read thru this whole thread I have to admit I was discouraged by some of the negative talk about the way this model flies. I want to be clear I am not new to EDF but donít claim to be an amazing pilot, I now have 6 flights on my A-7 and I love it!!! This model sure did get a bad rep in the past but I can tell you it flies really well! Mine has a TJ100 in it on 10s 4000 with Tams ducting. I am just under 13lbs AUW. The jet is off the ground in around 200', it could probably fly sooner but I like to be sure its not premature which I think is what caused problems for some others. On step she cruises nice at 1/2 throttle and has a nice top speed and great vertical. The jet has zero negative flight characteristics except for the rudder. It has been mentioned plenty of times in this thread but to clarify the rudder induces roll so you have to ready for it. I have mine down to only 1/4" throw and I really donít touch it in flight. Landings are nice and I am getting more and more comfortable slowing her down. She does rock a little when slow which is a great indication to add a bit of throttle. I have dabbled in 2 flights during a crosswind despite Chris Wolfe encouraging me not to the A-7 handles it better than I thought but it likes to weather vain and you have to remind your self not to use rudder like you normally would.

Now that she has earned her paint I am going to add pylons, weathing and the cockpit kit/pilot. I will post some pics and flight videos once I get her decked out!

I just really feel I needed to defend this model, she flew way better than some of the posters on here claim, it does not take magic fingers to fly it as long as you set it up right and follow JHHís great advise! Its a great addition to anyoneís fleet!
Last edited by bri6672; Nov 21, 2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:21 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
Nice re-review and a positive one at that. Too bad JHH doesnt make the ARF version any more.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:26 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetnfast View Post
Nice re-review and a positive one at that. Too bad JHH doesnt make the ARF version any more.
Thanks, I agree its a shame they dont make it anymore but if someone finds one they should gobble it up, its a very cool model!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:33 PM
United States, CA, Los Alamitos
Joined Jan 2011
1,132 Posts
Battery Location

I put my packs under the ducting from the main gear door area and slide them in. The mini servo for rudder in the dorsal and the two laying down under the fan unit should be good. Also if you valve is there as specified with the plans you should be really close. If your pack are in the nose, I suggest you check CG on the saw tooth as Chris described. He got the most stick time on that bird. I've flown mine in many configurations from 120 to 90mm and I must say as long as your CG is at the saw tooth your good. Do not go behind that point or your going to have a very sensitive tail. It looks awesome in the air and on final as others have noted the wag. Just leave a little throttle in maybe a quarter and then chop once your committed. Rudder should be minimized as you can roll with it upstairs its that effective.
jefffassbinder is offline Find More Posts by jefffassbinder
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New 450L Speed Fuselage
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:50 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,773 Posts
I did the maiden on one locally, it is an honest SCALE model and should be flown as such. No give us some pictures!
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:38 AM
New Zealand, Taranaki, Midhirst
Joined Feb 1999
3,427 Posts
Here Here
Sluf7 is offline Find More Posts by Sluf7
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:20 AM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
Ok here are some pics! I still have some paint work to do and one of my gear doors is not quite cooperating but it's flying great. These are from yesterday, there was a bit of a crosswind and on take off you can see it weather vaned heading out right, not to big of a deal but you have to be ready for it!

Last edited by bri6672; Nov 26, 2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:54 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
very nice Brian
definitely some cool factor going on there
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd