HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:02 AM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,281 Posts
I have learned that with jets the term arf is always used loosely. I have yet to come across a composite arf that was that straight forward or super easy to build. Keep in mind this is not some run of the mill Chinese company. This is JHH who pride them selves on producing super scale models, that always will mean more work but well worth the effort. It is always good to research build threads before jumping in to a project!
bri6672 is online now Find More Posts by bri6672
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:11 AM
"My grandma wants to fly jets"
Richmond, VA
Joined Feb 2008
485 Posts
I had a similar thought... JHH is not like Great Planes or Horizin Hobbies where they build thousands of each design. This may be more like comparing a few handmade Ferraris per year to a company like Toyota or Honda... its kind of apples and oranges.

Keep the faith Fab!
heychas is offline Find More Posts by heychas
Old Jul 16, 2011, 01:30 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,603 Posts
trust me it is a ARF...I had one of the kit A7...by comparison it is a true ARF..but as allready said Larry has very scale planes that still need a lot of work to finnish and when its done you will have a plane that most will never get to own
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jul 16, 2011, 02:01 PM
Joined Jun 2009
354 Posts
Thanks a lot Sean...i think i will do that...
By the way bri6672..i built more than 20 planes and before i spend 2000$ i do my homework....
Cheers
Fab3105 is offline Find More Posts by Fab3105
Old Jul 17, 2011, 06:08 AM
Portugal
Joined Oct 2004
76 Posts
Hi

I have been interested on this model since it was released but other projects have been in the way delaying this one, but now I think I have the time for it and Im gathering some information.

One doubt that I have concerns the lines (panel lines) in the fuselage and wings that I have seen in some models, does they came like that from the mould or are they made using the technic of scribing by the modelers.
Another one, is there any company making realistic (scale) train gear for this model and other addons at this time.

Thanks
helderluiss is offline Find More Posts by helderluiss
Old Jul 17, 2011, 07:25 AM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,905 Posts
The fuselage comes with the panel lines in it already. You have to add your own for the wings and stab, but there aren't too many.

The stock gear looks pretty good in my mind. If you want aftermarket struts you can try:
http://home.earthlink.net/~matrixmt/id4.html
or
http://www.rccrafters.com/Jets.html
strictlyscale is offline Find More Posts by strictlyscale
Old Jul 17, 2011, 02:01 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab3105 View Post
Thanks a lot Sean...i think i will do that...
By the way bri6672..i built more than 20 planes and before i spend 2000$ i do my homework....
Cheers

Dude just saying.....
Old Jul 17, 2011, 04:01 PM
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,511 Posts
Ok, so I feel I need to defend myself a bit on the instructions digs seeing as though I wrote them. I spent a ton of time and effort writing them and tried to make them as comprehensive as possible which I feel they are. However, no matter how many reviews you go through and how detailed you try to make them, there's no pleasing everyone (which I understand). Compare them to what you get with some of your run of the mill arfs. Some of the more expensive jet arfs out there dont even have instructions!

Anyways, i apologize if you don't feel they are sufficient, however, we are always available to help. Have you emailed regarding some of the latter difficulties you've been experiencing?

Chris
JetMang is online now Find More Posts by JetMang
Last edited by JetMang; Jul 17, 2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 06:07 PM
Not Funny......
United States, CO, Redstone
Joined Dec 2010
914 Posts
Chris, don't sweat it
IMO you and Larry have done just fine; I think that the issue is that over time the type of modeler attempting these jets has changed. Used to be that one had to do a fair bit of detailed building on "learner" type models and scale models (UControl, R/C, whatever) before moving up to this level. Now days you can get the basic skills to fly something like this without ever having to develop advanced building skills to match......... Just saying
Mike Warren is offline Find More Posts by Mike Warren
Old Jul 17, 2011, 06:11 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015 , May 28-31
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Warren View Post
Chris, don't sweat it
IMO you and Larry have done just fine; I think that the issue is that over time the type of modeler attempting these jets has changed. Used to be that one had to do a fair bit of detailed building on "learner" type models and scale models (UControl, R/C, whatever) before moving up to this level. Now days you can get the basic skills to fly something like this without ever having to develop advanced building skills to match......... Just saying

Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Jul 17, 2011, 06:56 PM
United States, CA, Chino Hills
Joined Mar 2007
376 Posts
Build skills

Chris, it seem some people want a ARF that flys itself and builds itself. If they were to build a JET kit then they would see that this is a True arf. Heck just preping a surface for a good paint job takes great skills. If they want ready to fly in fiberglass jets just pull out your wallet and someone will help. Instructions are always fun, and everyone has a opinion but you have done a good job. Anyone with moderate building abilities would find your ARF kits are a easy assembly and fly. Building as in build most just don't know only assembly.

I just wish you guys had more ARF's.

Larry and Chris are the good guys.
RCSCALEGUY is offline Find More Posts by RCSCALEGUY
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:57 PM
Joined Jun 2009
354 Posts
i know! they are great! no issue with that..
just a bit frustrated about this arf....
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:37 AM
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,511 Posts
Well, just let me know what I can do to help.
JetMang is online now Find More Posts by JetMang
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:48 AM
Joined Jun 2009
354 Posts
ok.. the plane is ready! apart from decals...i bought the pressure one but i wasn't happy so i need to get new ones...
Anyway last night i finished the model.
Quite happy with the result but it has been the worst plane to build yet!
I would like to thank everyone in this thread!
I will post pics soon...
Cheers!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:17 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab3105 View Post
ok.. the plane is ready! apart from decals...i bought the pressure one but i wasn't happy so i need to get new ones...
Anyway last night i finished the model.

Cheers!
Hey Fab,

What is your AUW with batteries?? I am starting to collect components for mine and it looks like I am going with a TJ100 on 10s, My AUW should be just under 12lbs

As far as your decals go, you might want to consider doing the first couple flights with out the decals. I have found that just in case you get some rough landings on the maiden it is easier to go back and do repairs then add decals. Like the old saying make her "earn her paint"

Let us know when the maiden is and see if you can find someone to video!