SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 01, 2006, 12:59 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,317 Posts
Congrats on the successful maiden flight. Looks good, except maybe for that deck angle - is that scale?
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2006, 02:57 PM
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,447 Posts
Thanks Chris. No, the deck angle is not scale. The springs in the mains are too soft, and the spring in the nose is too hard so it's currently setting too nose high. The springs will be changed.

Chris
JetMang is offline Find More Posts by JetMang
Old May 01, 2006, 02:59 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,317 Posts
Cool, sounds good.
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old May 01, 2006, 03:13 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMang
Hi Guys,

Well, we test flew the Desert Storm A-7 on Saturday. What an easy flyer! Powered with the Wren 44 Gold, the airplane is a sweatheart! The airplane flies scale and really looks unique in the air. The first flight was kept short (about 4 minutes) with only 1-2 full throttle passes. The second flight was flown mostly at 50-60% throttle with the transmitter passed around (flew for 9 minutes). The airplane was a joy to fly. Really smooth and responsive on the controls and very stable. We were having some problems with the retracts so did not retract them for the flights and also left the gear doors off as well.

While recording video, I also was taking (or at least trying ) still shots, so have attached some pictures...not the greatest, but unfortunately the best I got. I will be posting some video as soon as I can.

FYI, we are currently setting up a DF version powered with an EDF. The power system should be ready for bench testing in the next couple weeks. The intention is to make the DF version interchangable for DF and EDF use. I will post details as they come available.

Chris
Great! Now where can we download the video?
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Old May 01, 2006, 05:39 PM
Suspended Account
Braintree, Essex
Joined Mar 2006
3,174 Posts
Do you have a distributor in the UK? I might be interested in doing one as a feature for a magazine I write for. Just done an AMD hawk (old Larry wolfe design) might be interested in this with a TF4000 and a Lenher 2250/16, 10s 5000 pack (4X 5s 2500). Do you think that would fit? Hawk TOW is about 12lbs 53inch span, this looks similar
Whistling Watts is offline Find More Posts by Whistling Watts
Old May 04, 2006, 02:23 PM
Joined Feb 2002
2,447 Posts
Hi Guys,

I got the video finished up late last night, I'll get it posted tonight. Thanks for your patience!

Chris
Old May 04, 2006, 03:00 PM
Tear down the WALL!
southern Germany
Joined Oct 1998
1,396 Posts
Chris,
also congrats on the maiden... that bird surely looks good.
I'm really tempted to put in a pre-order...
I ask the following questions here, as I think some others might be interesetd, too...
Your site talks about the "fixed droop LE flaps" so I assume you just cut the wing to that profile?
Would it be possible to get a wing like that without pre-glassing? And without pre-cut ailerons, flaps, etc?
Also plain white or grey like the prototype?
You all know me, I like to do that stuff myself, not because I don't trust someone else, but rather because I like to do things my style .
Is the ducting installed? Would it be possible to get one without ducting installed? you know...

Hmm, that bird would surely make a nice every-day-flier...

cheers,
RD
ralf dvorak is offline Find More Posts by ralf dvorak
Old May 04, 2006, 03:30 PM
Joined Feb 2002
2,447 Posts
Hi Ralf,

The fixed droop leading is regarding the airfoil which is scale for the airplane and are cut that way. It may be possible to get one that is not glassed without the flying surfaces cut, I am unsure as to lead time or cost. I can tell you that the tolerances on the flying surfaces is very tight out of the factory...better than most if not all other ARFs. They are all skirted and very clean. Also, there are no external control horns required out of the factory also. Everything is internal so it ends up being very clean.

The ducting does come installed. Getting one without also may be possible. Does that mean you don't want it at all? Or just not installed but in the box?

Now, getting one in gray primer, no problem. That's one of the options that will be readily available.

Your best bet is going to be to contact the shop via email (larryw@jethangar.com) or phone with the request. If you email, please cc me on that. A special order would probably have to come after the first shipment of kits which should be here in June.

Chris
Old May 05, 2006, 09:47 AM
Joined Feb 2002
2,447 Posts
Video!

Hi Guys,

Video has been posted here (please right click and save as). We were having some difficulties with the retracts operating correctly (primarily the nose was leaking for whatever reason), so the retracts were not retracted at all during the flights. I did the best I could with the decent footage I was able to get...I'll never make it as a camera man in the movie industry.

Hope you enjoy!

Chris
Old May 05, 2006, 10:22 AM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,957 Posts
Great Video! Can not wait for mine.
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old May 05, 2006, 06:18 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki, Midhirst
Joined Feb 1999
3,427 Posts
Ah nothing quite like a Sluffy
Sluf7 is offline Find More Posts by Sluf7
Old May 05, 2006, 09:24 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,378 Posts
Very cool Chris..You guys did a great job...
Scott
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jan 24, 2007, 08:28 PM
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
just got my Desert Storm scheme A7 today. what an awsume kit this is! look forward to completing it in the next month or so. I ordered the E-Turbax setup that is very sweet. the kit is really well done, and the paint job is well worth it!

the packaging it also came in is second to none. Larry makes sure you get a great kit that isnt crushed! I have gotten some things in the mail before that where crushed. no way his boxes will be done that way :-)

anyone waiting for one, or wanting to order one will not be disappointed
tburley is offline Find More Posts by tburley
Old Jan 24, 2007, 08:42 PM
It works!!!
edmond, oklahoma
Joined Apr 2006
270 Posts
oh man i can't wait to get mine so i can have that :in my hands" feeling!!
rosek007 is offline Find More Posts by rosek007
Old Jan 24, 2007, 08:57 PM
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosek007
oh man i can't wait to get mine so i can have that :in my hands" feeling!!
you'll love it. what scheme did you order?
tburley is offline Find More Posts by tburley