HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2006, 11:04 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Feb 2004
165 Posts
Discussion
Cermark BD5

Hey partners,

I just finished my BD5 from Cermak. Looks like an exiting airplane to fly. Anyone out there that has built a BD5. Mine was tail heavy using recommended items with the exception of the receiver.
This is what I have:
CC25
Cermark 2815-1400 BL Motor
TP2100
7x5 Included prop
3x S75 EFlite servos
1x HS81 for the stering nose servo

Had to add two ounces of Led and it bearly reaches CG
Anyone else with the same issue?

[IMG][/IMG]
lovo is offline Find More Posts by lovo
Last edited by lovo; Jan 22, 2006 at 11:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2006, 11:40 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2005
1,004 Posts
wow that is pretty,how much does it weigh?
cdebaca is offline Find More Posts by cdebaca
Old Jan 22, 2006, 11:53 PM
Joined Feb 2004
165 Posts
Actually have not gotten to that part yet. But it feels about 28-32 OZ
Old Feb 11, 2006, 08:48 PM
Trying to defy gravity...
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
lovo,
Awesome plane. Could you post a picture of the rear of the plane, where the motor mounts. I'm really like this kit, but for it to be really fun I'd want to upgrade to a more powerful brushless motor. It looks like since the motor mounts in the tail/cowl there will be restrictions on what kind of upgrades could be done. Thanks!

Jimsky
jimsky is offline Find More Posts by jimsky
Old Feb 12, 2006, 01:01 AM
Joined Feb 2004
165 Posts
Jimsky
This is a quick picture for you. Will post better ones later.
You could put an Astro 020, or a Mega 16/15/3-4, Aon 3500kv motor; however, you may need to re-inforce the motor mount. Heard from one person that flew the same aircraft that the entire back got chewed up because the upgrade motor (Mega 16/15/3) pushed the motor mount. Cermark was nice enough to replace fuselage for minimal fee if any fee at all.
My friend has his with an Astro 020 that clocked 105mph.

Good luck.

Old Feb 12, 2006, 02:18 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
26,898 Posts
I have tested mine with the Astro 020 4t and 5t, both the Aon 2815-3000 and 2815-3500, mega 16/15/4, Mega 16/25/3 and my own Littlescreamer Double. The fastest by far was the AON 3500, but it only lasted 2 minuted and failed. AON replaced it no charge because their prined prop selection was wrong for that motor. It went 108mph with that Aon!! The Astro 020 4t was next and radars in at 104mph and has many flights works well but tough on even the TP2100PL packs. The Mega 16/15/4 was next and was not overly impressive. We all know this is a great motor, just not happy in this plane with limited airflow. It went 92mph. The Littlescreamer double was great and easy on batteries, but also was only 90mph. Next was the Mega 16/25/3 and this was the sweet spot! 101mph, 18amps and only got warm. It is heavy and needed even more weight to balance the plane, and this bird is VERY cg sensitive!! I now use the Astro 020 5t and goes 98mph and is not to hard on the batteries at all. I'll keep this set up. The best all around though and not because I built it was the LS double. It spun the prop at 16,000 rpm's on only 14amps and it only weighs 1.1oz's, so I was able to remove almost all the nose weight and the plane was 24oz's AUW. All motors tested with the same prop an APC 6x5.5 and CC-45 and TP2100PL. I love this plane and my friend Don and I fly these in Formation at Prado all the time. Don is currently usind the AON 2815-3000 and it is just as fast as my 020 jut a little too much heat for my tastes. We'll see how long it lasts. Depending on motor used, mine has ranged with AUW's between 22oz's to 26oz's. Yes I did beef up the motor mount and I STRONGLY urge you to modify your nose wheel set up. Mine almost punched thru the fuse on the first landing, and it was a good landing too. I never tried their recomended set up. I felt this plane deserved to be faster than that set up could deliver I used 3 Cirrus 301 servos and 1 HS-81 for the nose gear. I also use flaperons so I can slow it down for landing. Don't let the smooth taste fool ya!! This plane is fast! And likes it
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Feb 12, 2006, 09:14 AM
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, this is looking real good.

Question: It seems the mounting of the motor is rather back and far away from most control surfaces. If so I'd think that this plane should not have the characteristic flying denstist drill "wing buzz" that most pusher flying wings have. It this true? I wouldn't expect this to be a quiet plane, but I'm hoping it's not the ear numbing BUZZZZZZZZZZ you get from a flying wing with a similar power plant.

Anyone care to comment on the nosie level? Some of the locations I fly in are noise sensitive, so it's a consideration for me when I select a plane.

Jimsky
Old Feb 12, 2006, 10:55 AM
Joined Feb 2004
165 Posts
Jimsky,

My plane does some noise but only when I go full throttle. My prop is 7x5. Maybe going to the 6x5.5 the noisw will reduce a bit. I do noticed that first I get up there with full power and if I stabilize, the airplane does not sound much at all.
Oddly enough, RVINCENT and DON are friends of mine that fly at Chino Hills here in California and they are the reason why I have this airplane now. (What's Up Guys!!!).
The thing about the nose is true. Just flew mine yesterday and had a not to smooth of a landing. The BD5 bounced a couple of times and hit the nose gear too hard. The plywood support inside broke so all I had to do was epoxy it and will be ready again today. I'm only using the recommended motor CEM2815-1400 just to get used to the flying; however, I'm feeling "the need for speed" after yesterday's flight. I tell you, its a kick to see this plane do a low pass and then seeing it dissapear in the horizon far away from you, and when you 'bank-and-yank' and see those wings.......
Well, you know what I mean!!!!
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:41 AM
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
lovo,
Excellent. I'm not expecting a quiet plane but I can't tolerate the deafing "wing buzz" real flying wings in all but one place I fly. Which is not bad, but I rarely fly there, it's a haul to get to. So as long as the Cermark BD-5 is not insanely loud I should be able to fly it locally.

Another question: I see Cermark doesn't state the square inch area of the wing on their website. Is it mentioned in the instructions? If not could you measure the widest and narrowest width of the wing. That would be right along side the fuse and out at the wing tip. From that I'll estimate an average width and calculate the wing area.

I'm running some MotoCalc simulation and I need this information for the airframe model. Thanks.

Jimsky
Old Feb 12, 2006, 12:05 PM
Joined Feb 2004
165 Posts
43.57 Wing Span
235 sq. in. Wing Area
Old Feb 12, 2006, 04:53 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
26,898 Posts
As far as noise goes........well that depends on your set up. With the Astro 5t 020 and a 6x5.5 prop it is not too bad. With the Littlescreamer it was almost quiet. With the recomended set up I would imagine is also was fairly stealthy. Of course you don't need to fly WOT either
Old Mar 04, 2006, 12:52 PM
Regina , Sask. Canada
Joined Sep 2002
55 Posts
Aero-Works is showing this plane. http://aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=255

Other than the higher price tag, it LOOKS tobe the same. Not sure if it's available yet, but I'm wonderring if anyone out there may know if it is infact the same model, and if not, what is different???
Mr.Burns is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Burns
Old Mar 04, 2006, 07:32 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
26,898 Posts
It is different. The Aeroworks is a built up balsa fuse and has a rudder. The Cermark is all glass fuse and no rudder. The Aerowrks plane looks very nice too! I spent some time with Rocco from Aeroworks at the AMA show and looked it over real good He was supposed to contact me whe they were available? Hmmm?
Old Mar 05, 2006, 12:50 PM
Regina , Sask. Canada
Joined Sep 2002
55 Posts
Thanx Vincent. The Aeroworks looks like the ticket for me then. For me the rudder would be a big plus if it has any authority.

PS... be giving you a call Monday. Like a custom wind for this bird, as well as my AeroCat!
Mr.Burns is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Burns
Old Mar 05, 2006, 04:58 PM
Brookville, Ohio
Joined May 2000
316 Posts
lovo,
Your BD looks very nice. Did you have any problems with the wing to fuse mating up. I'm on the fence betweeen the Aero Works and the Cermark (do prefer the fiberglass on the CM), but I saw someone had to shim the wing root to get it to fit properly. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Paul
marshall is offline Find More Posts by marshall