HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2006, 08:59 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,310 Posts
will fly mine again tomorrow before i go to work ,at the park will be the 6th or seventh flight
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2006, 09:36 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Kip

I'm just down the road from you (Vacaville) - where do you fly? I fly out at Lagoon Valley.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:06 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Best of luck guys....brushed or brushless....watch the wind gusts and turning into the wind, make sure you throttle up assuming a windy day as your relative air speed decreases going down wind even though your ground speed picks up.

Happy landings!
Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Mar 24, 2006, 12:38 AM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipp geisler
This Saturday, weather permitting, I will do my third consecutive Saturday Flight test....First was box stock, then, well you know 8x8 and 3c's. Next is AXI 2808 (already installed) with the 3c 2100 mah. I will report objectively on how much gain in performance and fun factor for the buck. I'm a little concerned with the forcast of 17mph wind and rain.........yep that rain scares me a little.
I've darn-near given up on finding a 'fair-weather' weekend before June . Spring in Dallas is well known for strong winds. This year is keeping the predictions alive. After June, until October, the winds will lay. But after that... hang on to your hat!!!

Dallas has a higher average wind speed than Chicago - it's windy here!

Gary
--
Gary Warner is offline Find More Posts by Gary Warner
Old Mar 24, 2006, 07:59 AM
Singapore Seletar, Singapore
Joined Nov 2001
110 Posts
Gosh how I missed this thread I do not know..!, I ordered mine as soon as it was announced by Tower and like most of you it arrived at the beginning of March in Singapore.

I decided from day one to go brushless even before the model arrived, and like all of you realised that this was not going to be an easy modification. At the same time I did not want to go into mass surgery just in case I wanted to conevrt it back to a Speed 400 model. I pondered for some time on the choice of motor and decided on a Hacker A20-20L.

My conversion was very similar to others posted here a simple Lite ply mounting plate was cut to fit on the existing motor and a template used to make the mounting a 4 hole fixing using M3 CSK screws and self locking nuts. No 2 self tappers were then used to fix the motor the mounting plate.

When I balanced the plane I found it was very tail heavy even with a 3S1P 2,000 mA pack but if positioned from the nose gear back the plane would balance. The interior battery mounting plate stops short due the normal can Speed 400 motor so a battery box was made up of 1.5 mm Lite Ply to extend the standard battery tray.

The bench tests looked encouraging :

Power tests using pack # 1042, 12.60 V 1,250 mA 20C
Input Power - 220 Watts
Input Cyurrent - 19.90 Amps
Mesured thrust - 820 grams
Elevator - +/- 3/8"
Rudder - +/- 1/2"
Ailerons - +/- 3/8"
Weight - 715 grams with 2,000 mA Li-Poly 3S1P pack

If anything perhaps over powered....?

I went to the Lancair website and made a copy of the flight panel, glued it to some light card to fill the void between the top of the battery box and the fuselage.

Weather permitting we should get the first flight tomorrow.

Here are some pictures of my modifications.
Dennis L. Payne is offline Find More Posts by Dennis L. Payne
Old Mar 24, 2006, 08:36 AM
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined May 2002
2,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis L. Payne
Gosh how I missed this thread I do not know..!, I ordered mine as soon as it was announced by Tower and like most of you it arrived at the beginning of March in Singapore.

I decided from day one to go brushless even before the model arrived, and like all of you realised that this was not going to be an easy modification. At the same time I did not want to go into mass surgery just in case I wanted to conevrt it back to a Speed 400 model. I pondered for some time on the choice of motor and decided on a Hacker A20-20L.

My conversion was very similar to others posted here a simple Lite ply mounting plate was cut to fit on the existing motor and a template used to make the mounting a 4 hole fixing using M3 CSK screws and self locking nuts. No 2 self tappers were then used to fix the motor the mounting plate.

When I balanced the plane I found it was very tail heavy even with a 3S1P 2,000 mA pack but if positioned from the nose gear back the plane would balance. The interior battery mounting plate stops short due the normal can Speed 400 motor so a battery box was made up of 1.5 mm Lite Ply to extend the standard battery tray.

The bench tests looked encouraging :

Power tests using pack # 1042, 12.60 V 1,250 mA 20C
Input Power - 220 Watts
Input Cyurrent - 19.90 Amps
Mesured thrust - 820 grams
Elevator - +/- 3/8"
Rudder - +/- 1/2"
Ailerons - +/- 3/8"
Weight - 715 grams with 2,000 mA Li-Poly 3S1P pack

If anything perhaps over powered....?

I went to the Lancair website and made a copy of the flight panel, glued it to some light card to fill the void between the top of the battery box and the fuselage.

Weather permitting we should get the first flight tomorrow.

Here are some pictures of my modifications.
Actually your not to over power I think your just right , your going love the gigantic loops you will be able to do with your set up ,mine came out 771 grams , the AXI 2808/20 nick name the beast , and the 2100 are little heavier than what you have , great modifications , love the flight panel , let us know how the maiden goes ,have fun . Ed
mavdriver is offline Find More Posts by mavdriver
Old Mar 24, 2006, 07:54 PM
Kipp G
Dixon, Ca.
Joined Mar 2004
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdr
Kip

I'm just down the road from you (Vacaville) - where do you fly? I fly out at Lagoon Valley.

Jim

I've been to lagoon Valley for sloping, but I do all my flying in Davis, Ca at the SVSS site. (see SVSS.ORG)
kipp geisler is offline Find More Posts by kipp geisler
Old Mar 24, 2006, 08:02 PM
Kipp G
Dixon, Ca.
Joined Mar 2004
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Warner
I've darn-near given up on finding a 'fair-weather' weekend before June . Spring in Dallas is well known for strong winds. This year is keeping the predictions alive. After June, until October, the winds will lay. But after that... hang on to your hat!!!

Dallas has a higher average wind speed than Chicago - it's windy here!

Gary
--
I am feeling the pain too Gary, The weather here is crap right now and tomorrows forcast is crap. I will do my best to find a break in the storm but I'm concerned about rain.
kipp geisler is offline Find More Posts by kipp geisler
Old Mar 24, 2006, 09:36 PM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipp geisler
I am feeling the pain too Gary, The weather here is crap right now and tomorrows forcast is crap. I will do my best to find a break in the storm but I'm concerned about rain.
Hey! A break in the weather!!! It's calling for 5-10 from the SE (runway is SSE) on Saturday. I have to work, but I can be at the field by 3PM. Here we go!!! I expect to file a flight report Saturday night.

I also plan on taking a camera and cam-corder. Maybe I'll be the first to POST () a multimedia report.

Gary
--
Gary Warner is offline Find More Posts by Gary Warner
Old Mar 24, 2006, 09:50 PM
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined May 2002
2,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Warner
Hey! A break in the weather!!! It's calling for 5-10 from the SE (runway is SSE) on Saturday. I have to work, but I can be at the field by 3PM. Here we go!!! I expect to file a flight report Saturday night.

I also plan on taking a camera and cam-corder. Maybe I'll be the first to POST () a multimedia report.

Gary
--
excellent
mavdriver is offline Find More Posts by mavdriver
Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:26 PM
Joined Nov 2001
110 Posts
Had a good first flight the power set up is more than enough, take off's very short and she scoots through the air at a fair rate of knots.! The colour scheme is not the best for visibility so I need to do something about that.. otherwise a great model to build and fly.

Here is a couple of pictuers of the plane while waiting for the take off slot.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:35 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Looks good but I think your nose gear is reveresed - the "L" should cant towards the midline so the wheel is centered.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Mar 25, 2006, 02:07 AM
Joined Jan 2002
42 Posts
Dennis, what prop are you using? Sorry if I missed it, I read over and cant seem to find it.
cmosfet is offline Find More Posts by cmosfet
Old Mar 25, 2006, 04:51 AM
Joined Nov 2001
110 Posts
I am using a APC-E, 9 x 6
Old Mar 25, 2006, 04:55 AM
Joined Nov 2001
110 Posts
Thanks for the note on the nose gear Jim I will check out and alter if neccessary. For you guys in the USA the temperature for the flight today in Singapore was 36C humidity 66% and our flying field is 80 feet ASL, so if you are in cooler parts of the USA you will get even better performance I suspect.