HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2006, 05:55 PM
Kipp G
Dixon, Ca.
Joined Mar 2004
166 Posts
So any thoughts about the 3 cell Lipo idea?
kipp geisler is offline Find More Posts by kipp geisler
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2006, 09:13 PM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
The only thing I do know about the power system I"ll be using is that it will be for 3S Lipo, 2000. Like I said, I won't be using the stock motor.

Gary
--
Gary Warner is offline Find More Posts by Gary Warner
Old Feb 19, 2006, 09:48 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Joined Jul 2005
402 Posts
In all of this waiting I got impatient and order another airplane.

You know you got it bad for this hobby when you cant even wait for one plane to arive, before you order another one.

Its a little ModelTech Extra ive never seen around (probably because tower has it listed in the wrong category), but it looks like it should work pretty well with a .25 i have laying around. Definetly fits the bill as far as a gas models ive been looking to have. Only 60 bucks too!!!

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKSX1&P=7
gotime242 is offline Find More Posts by gotime242
Old Feb 20, 2006, 11:31 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Jun 2003
593 Posts
Kipp,
I think a three cell will be possible for a short time on that motor. I believe replacing it with a cheap 7.2V motor when it does burn out would increase the life on 3 cells. There is a whole thread dedicated to Lipo/Brushed calculations in the power systems forum.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...shed+lipo+cell
SQUARE ROOT is offline Find More Posts by SQUARE ROOT
Old Feb 20, 2006, 08:55 PM
Kipp G
Dixon, Ca.
Joined Mar 2004
166 Posts
Square root, I read a bunch of that thread which seems to say that it will work...But I thought of something that was not mentioned. Speed controllers have automatic shutoff at different points. they cut off when the voltage drop is sharp and they cut off when the battery voltage gets to a certain point. On brushless controllers you can program them to where you want the cutoff. The ESC that comes with the Lancair package may let the voltage drop too low on the Lipos which would ruin the battery. That is the more likely unknown.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 09:01 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,343 Posts
well i put one of thses on order and i hope they live up to the feb.28th release. ill go brushless(like all my planes) and not sure how yet but will post when i do
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:20 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Jun 2003
593 Posts
Kipp, That is a good point. What I usually do with my planes is set my timer for the first flight for 5 minutes and fly around as I usually do. When I come down I charge and note how many mAh the pack takes then calculate from there my estimated flight time minus about 10% of the capacity. I have not hit cutoff on any of my controllers in a very long time. The ESC may cut off and save the battery but if I am flying a low rolling harrier a cut off could destroy my plane.

This is the method I will use, then I will probably eventually just drop in one of the extra brushless motors I have on hand. I think it is worth a try with the stock system if it fly's anything like the video.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 07:37 PM
Kipp G
Dixon, Ca.
Joined Mar 2004
166 Posts
All good points Square Root. The more I think about it I may just buy a new speed controller and MP Jet or equivalent. It depends on how much I like the plane. As to the speed controller cutoff issue, I run my Alfa Mustang down to the cuttoff everytime. I once got 30 minutes with my 3 cell lipo 1320 mah. it usually cuts off when it's low altitude since the lift is low once the pack slows down but it hasn't been a problem. You still get additional bursts to get er pointed into the wind. I watched my friend loose charge with his (same setup) on a low level loop making for a hard belly landing (it's all grass at our glider field) but the plane survived just fine. Flying the mustang is something of a risk anyway since no one flys them high and safe and with a $119.00 price tag you can live on the edge a little. They come about 2 hrs. from RTF anyway...Aint this fun!
Old Feb 22, 2006, 09:34 PM
Mega Motor Man!!
Richmond, Va
Joined Oct 2002
403 Posts
I have one on order as well.. Will probably go Lipo 3s with a Mega 16/15/5 to start with the 3:1 gearing it comes with.. Should give a good bit more pep and not much more current.. Thoughts????
SmoothSL is offline Find More Posts by SmoothSL
Old Feb 22, 2006, 09:45 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,343 Posts
im wondering about mounting the brushless,seems the esc is already installed and im wondering how you get to the motor(read but not in manual)
Old Feb 22, 2006, 09:51 PM
Mega Motor Man!!
Richmond, Va
Joined Oct 2002
403 Posts
Yeah, the manual doesn't mention anything abou the power system.. If it's a speed 400, I'm really hoping the Mega will drop in there.. The mounting holes should line up, but the case of the mega I believe is the same size as a 480.. Don't have my stuff in here to look at..
SmoothSL is offline Find More Posts by SmoothSL
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:26 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,343 Posts
will try to get pics of mine when it comes in(hopefully next week!)
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:27 PM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangAce17
...(hopefully next week!)...
HA!!! Let's talk 'next week'... LOL

Gary
--
Gary Warner is offline Find More Posts by Gary Warner
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:06 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Jun 2003
593 Posts
Hey, a boy can dream cant he Gary?
I am keeping my fingers crossed for us all.
I don't think they mention anything about the power system because it is plug and play so there is no need. I think the Mega will be a great drop-in motor. From the pictures it looks to be pretty simple to bolt on new power right to the gearbox.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:14 AM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,343 Posts
that seems right yeah "next week" lol trust me i know about "next week" waiting for a year on the formmosa 2!