Old Feb 02, 2006, 07:22 PM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R/C Flier268
Gary,
I have a question though, do those numbers hold true for a ducted fan (electric) model?
Uuuuhhh... yes and no. They are correct for the true amount of 'wattage' applied in the form of thrust. Problems come into the equation because of how that wattage is used. With a much (usually) smaller 'disk' of moving air, the same wattage outputted will be at a higher efflux (higher speed of accelerated air) which will provide less static thrust, but much higher residual thrust at higher airplane speeds.

So, before your head starts to spin (mine is) these are the numbers 'I' find useful in fans.

40 watts - able to hold altitude, no climbing

80 watts - able to ROG from paved runway, mild aerobatics, speed scale like but too slow for true 'jet-jocks'

120 watts - ROG and acceleration good, aerobatics with energy management look very strong, but still not unlimited vertical, level passed look fast

160 watts - excellent climb rate (over scale in most cases), climbs at least 'look' vertical with a climb rate slash eye sight range limited to just a few seconds.

180+ watts - quickly moving up to unlimited vertical performance, vertical climbs are awesome and level passes look like you have your hair on fire!!!

Again, these are just guides. I fans, high speed drag and wing loading can skew these performance numbers significantly. And, remember these are motor output watts, not motor input watts.

Ask the same question in the e-fan forum for some other opinions about this stuff. I've hung out there enough to know (for most jet-jocks), flying anything under 100 watts per pound isn't worth the effort to build.

Gary
--
Gary Warner is offline Find More Posts by Gary Warner
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2006, 02:06 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Jun 2003
593 Posts
I just ordered mine and I have to say that I am skeptical as to wheater the price includes the Motor/Speed Control/Battery. It just seems to good to be true and we all know how that saying ends...It probably is.
Regardless it is a good deal for the airframe and I will probably drop one of the extra brushless motors I have lying around.
SQUARE ROOT is offline Find More Posts by SQUARE ROOT
Old Feb 10, 2006, 02:21 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,777 Posts
Get it in writing and hold them to it.
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Feb 10, 2006, 03:08 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Jun 2003
593 Posts
Well it is in the manual. Guess it comes with it after all.
SQUARE ROOT is offline Find More Posts by SQUARE ROOT
Old Feb 17, 2006, 02:17 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,339 Posts
Optional Equipment

Just got my Tower Hobbies monthly magazine - Tower Talk. The issue features ELECTRIC FLIGHT. The Lancair is on the inside cover with radio, charger, battery pack as a COMBO for $299.97.

The plane with the Speed 400 motor, 30A ESC, on-board battery, gear box and propeller for $99.99.

Hopefully they will be available soon....
Iflyrc_vic is offline Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Feb 17, 2006 at 02:25 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 02:46 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2002
581 Posts
I think the combo is with a radio, battery and charger as well as the motor / esc. The $99 kit is airframe, motor and esc and battery. I got fed up waiting and cancelled my order. I note that the same kit is advertised bt OmniModels at the same price b ut they also indicate late feb for delivery.
Mark Winstanley is offline Find More Posts by Mark Winstanley
Old Feb 17, 2006, 02:58 PM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
I was looking at the tower site the other day and all the replacement parts were listed as available at the time but the complete package was not...go figure.
papasmurf is offline Find More Posts by papasmurf
Old Feb 17, 2006, 04:01 PM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
I guess if I want one bad enough, I could get all the major parts (minus motor, gear box, controller, prop and battery - don't want them anyway). I add them up to $123.58. Hummmm....

Gary
--
Old Feb 17, 2006, 08:01 PM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
That is why I did not order one....is that a jenday by chance?
Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:02 AM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf
...is that a jenday by chance?
Sun. Mean as . Took the toe off a Blue Headed this week . I guess I trained him right... he ain't going to take off anyone!!!

Gary
--
Old Feb 18, 2006, 01:39 AM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
Sorry...figured it had to be one or the other. I miss mine....not the noise though.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 02:16 AM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf
...not the noise though.
Eahhhh?.... What ya' say sonny???? I'm deefe from the Sun!!!!

Seriously... Sounds like you lost a good friend. I dread the day I find Sonny tits up. He's such a good friend. Even if he costs me hundreds of dollars 'correcting' his bad behavior. (not that two days of cage punishment isn't enough . )

Gary
--
Last edited by Gary Warner; Feb 18, 2006 at 02:23 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:32 PM
Kipp G
Dixon, Ca.
Joined Mar 2004
166 Posts
I've had mine on order now since late October. Not sure when it first hit the catalog, but I hope I'm near the top of the waiting (back order) list. If anyone wants my landing gear they'll be free. I'm not putting gear on mine. Hoping to improve performance, and I fly at a glider field of grass landing area. What about using a 3 cell Lipo pack? 11.1 volts would certainly increase performance if it doesn't fry the motor...But then that would give me an excuse to put in the MP Jet outrunner and see if it flies even close to my Alfa Model p-51. All of us glider guys are buying up the Alfa warbirds and going crazy while we wait for thermal weather in northern Ca.
kipp geisler is offline Find More Posts by kipp geisler
Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:29 AM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
I would be happy to take the gear off your hands if/when the plane arrives and could take care of shipping. I am always on the look out for spare wheel pants. After looking at how nice the fiberglass parts look on the tower site, it is going to be hard to resist this one when it finally does get here.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 02:45 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Joined Jul 2005
402 Posts
And if he doesnt want them i do.
gotime242 is offline Find More Posts by gotime242