Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:20 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Ric

Congrats on the maiden.

I use a set of magnets to hold the canopy on. The supplies magnets and metal tags are not propery alligned so I glued on a set and have not lost the canopy.

Jim
jamesdr is online now Find More Posts by jamesdr
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:20 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Lancair ES canopy mod... for Ric!

Ric,

On Page 4 of my blog, I have photos showing the mod, but it IS a bit subtle, and I have since tinted the canopy after finishing the plane.

Below I have 3 pictures. I used the mounts meant for the boots/pants for my plane and cut one in two (half way down the middle). I used CA to glue this to either side of the fuselage where the canopy will mate. I have since also screwed these in (had one pop off on a rougher landing some time ago), using very small cap screws to bite into the fibreglass.

I then measured where my 1/8" canopy holes need be drilled to permit 1/2" long nylon screws to slide into the canopy and slots to hold the canopy on. It looks almost invisible, but they work like a rivet of sorts. Holds Superbly, and can be taken off pretty easily. Also, the lack of visibility of the system and low profile of the nylon heads minimizes streamline issues.

Darren
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:08 AM
CA...gimme the CA...
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
Cool. I gotta do something, tape's not doin' the job.
whowhatwhere is offline Find More Posts by whowhatwhere
Old May 09, 2013, 08:01 PM
Joined May 2013
59 Posts
Hello guys,

I know it's been a while since the last post in 2012. I've recentely purchased this Lancair. Loved the looks of it and the fiber glass fuse really got my attention. I wanted to get a plane with the included eletronics and had no idea what I was getting, after I bought it a friend of mine told me it was a 400 brushed motor, etc. I've read pretty much every page in this thread, awesome info, I got tons of info on how to replace the motor with a brushless setup. I appreciate everyone's input on this thread.

So here goes my question, I have an RC timer bl motor of 750kv, will it work on the Lancair?
I also have a EMAX 2822, which would be better for an upgrade?

My battery is a Turnigy 3S 2200 mAh, I read that most people used a 3S 2000 ou 2100.

The prop is a 8X6SF for the emax motor.

I'm slowly building my lancair, it's coming along nicely.
bdazo is offline Find More Posts by bdazo
Old May 09, 2013, 08:50 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
The GP Lancair is a pretty nice plane - just remember, it flies more like a warbird than most other civilian planes. Also - the design is a couple of years old so it doesn't get the benefit of modern brushless motors and lipos.

That said - I think you need to continue looking for a suitable motor. The 750kv is too slow and the EMAX is too small. Something in the 1100 - 1200kv range capable of turninga 9*6 prop is your sweet spot. Generically a 400 - 450 speed replacement motor.

Depending on what you get, you may have to do some significant mods to the firewall. Not to worry - many have done it and most have been successful. Just take your time and ask questions.

Jim
Old May 10, 2013, 07:34 AM
Joined May 2013
59 Posts
thanks jamesdr.

This is a 450 motor, is that a good motor? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1200kv.html
Old May 10, 2013, 08:27 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Yes - that one would work fine. Not sure how much of a rush you are in - HobbyKing can sometimes take forever to arrive. I can recommend HeadsUpRC in Ocala, Fla - here is a page on them with motors in the 370-450 class. http://www.headsuphobby.com/Motors-By-Size_c66.htm Their prices are competitive and shipping is $2 and fast. I live down the road from them (100 miles) and if I order something on Sunday night, it will be in my mailbox on Wednesday.

Jim
Old May 10, 2013, 11:32 AM
Joined May 2013
59 Posts
I live in Brazil, I usually order from HK or Rctimer( the $2 shipping is a great money saver), but it takes a month to arrive here Not sure I would like to wait that long to fly the Lancair, it's a birthday gift I got for myself hehe.

I really wouldnt want to spend more money on a new motor, I'm already having to scrap that stock motor that came with the Lancair, dont even want to try to fly with it.

Now, like I mentioned before, I do have an emax 2822, 1200kv that I think would work great, here's the exact motor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5354

I do have a 20A esc and also a 50A HK esc as well.

I have a 3S Turnigy 2200mAh battery that I would like to use.

As for prop I have a 8X6SF, the 9X6 that came with the Lancair and a 12x6E I bought for my rctimer 750KV motor.

Will that emax motor work well with that 9X6 prop?

I plan on using the gearbox plate that screws on the lancair as the mount for the motor.

what you think?
Old May 10, 2013, 01:55 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
The motor looks small but the specs say it will work. I fly a 1100kv motor with a 9x6 prop. A 20A ESC should match to it. Go for it!

Jim
Old May 10, 2013, 04:00 PM
Joined May 2013
59 Posts
great james.

I worked on some more this afternoon. I think the motor mount will work, I'l ldo more work tomorrow.

thanks.
Old May 13, 2013, 07:28 AM
Joined May 2013
59 Posts
I tested some things this weekend on the motor mount. Adding the motor to the gearbox plate works great, but the motor touches the end of the cowl, so when that thing runs it will most likely rip the cowl there.

I think I need a smaller motor so I have some clearance in the end there, I could chop some of the front of the lancair like others have done, but I dont have the tools, neither want to risk screwing it up with no return. So I think my best bet is to use the gearbox plate and get a smaller motor that will fit nicely. Any ideas on the motor? I think one of those smaller motors that have that long shaft will do, I saw some of those motors here in the thread.

Another question is that I have glued with 10 min epoxy the vertical stab but I noticed later that it's not completely straight, like if you get a square tool it's not making a 90 degree angle between the vertical and horizontal stab, will that be a problem in flight?
Old May 13, 2013, 08:22 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Re: the v-stab issue. It won't affect normal straight ahead flight as it will be trimmed out the first time you fly. If you were to to acrobatic flight, then it not being square would become evident. And - incase you didn't see it - this plane does NOT LIKE spins. If you spin it, the chances for recovery at moderate altitude are not good.

Jim
Last edited by jamesdr; Jul 25, 2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old May 13, 2013, 08:35 AM
Joined May 2013
59 Posts
got it James.

What do you mean by spin? like using ailerons or doing loops?
Old May 13, 2013, 09:12 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
No - a spin is where you enter a stall, one wing drops and the plane rotates around it's CG. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(flight) It is an advanced flight maneuver - fun to do and watch but some planes don't recover well.

Jim
Old May 13, 2013, 10:33 AM
Joined May 2013
59 Posts
got it, thanks. Yeah I dont plan on doing that kinds of maneuvers for sure.