SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 12, 2009, 09:45 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Hi motoman97. That spinner & prop came on an 'Exceed Pitts' I got from Nitro Planes but I don't see them listed anywhere on their site.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/pitts-electric.html
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2009, 03:50 PM
Joined Dec 2008
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raz
DoctorBill. I liked your front axle so much I had to copy it. It's all done and ready for paint.
Nice job RAZ - not sure what sort of surface you're flying from but on our rough dirt strip the torque from that off center wheel was a killer.

Is there a big group of RC flyers in Eureka? I used to live in Brookings Oregon years ago and there wasn't anyone flying then (I live in Huntington Beach CA now).

I like the three bladed prop! Bill
DoctorBill is offline Find More Posts by DoctorBill
Old Jun 12, 2009, 08:40 PM
Fly low and slow ?
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2007
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raz
Hi motoman97. That spinner & prop came on an 'Exceed Pitts' I got from Nitro Planes but I don't see them listed anywhere on their site.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/pitts-electric.html
thanks i will keep looking
motoman97 is offline Find More Posts by motoman97
Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:14 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorBill
Nice job RAZ - not sure what sort of surface you're flying from but on our rough dirt strip the torque from that off center wheel was a killer.

Is there a big group of RC flyers in Eureka? I used to live in Brookings Oregon years ago and there wasn't anyone flying then (I live in Huntington Beach CA now).

I like the three bladed prop! Bill

Thanks Dr. Bill. We have 2 flying clubs here, one is mostly gliders and the other is mostly glow but there are more and more electrics coming in. I finally got an 8x6x3 and will try it as soon as the weather gets better. I did try a 7x6x3 and it flew but I had to keep it all full throttle but it did give me hope.
Last edited by raz; Jun 20, 2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:17 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
390 Posts
I'm now using mine to test A123 1100 mah 4s,1p packs: it seems to be performing well, with no real wing loading noticeable by me.
jollyrogertoo is offline Find More Posts by jollyrogertoo
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:52 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
The wind finally let up enough today to try the 8x6x3 prop. I was able to throttle back to about 5/8 throttle now maintaining good speed & without losing altitude so I'm happy with it.
Last edited by raz; Jun 24, 2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 06:34 PM
Hagerstown, MD
Joined Jan 2008
692 Posts
This is the major Lancair EP thread, so I will post here.

Check out my blog for the results of my modification to the plane. I finally got a chance to fly the plane today, and the difference in performance is amazing ! There are still a few issues to deal with, such as a weak propeller shaft, which seems to bend just about any time the landing isn't "perfect". My main question is, has anyone tried a regular 3mm steel bolt as a prop shaft? And how does that work in that heavy magnetic field of the motor? Well, read the blog if you will, and thanks in advance for your time.

I am very happy with the plane, and for all your help and advice. Now, I just might have to get a better 200 watt motor for the next upgrade !
jim_ag3y is offline Find More Posts by jim_ag3y
Old Jun 27, 2009, 07:12 PM
Hagerstown, MD
Joined Jan 2008
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raz
I can see that working but on mine I have to put the battery way up front where trying to mess with Velcro would be tough and hard to reach so the battery box is perfect.

I'm going to have to work on the battery box idea, myself. Today's rather rough landing caused the battery to slide out from under some nylon tiewraps. I was a bit concerned, because, after all, it is a LiPo pack, now !

I gave up on that fingered "velcro-like" substitute, because it just held things too tightly !
Old Jul 01, 2009, 02:10 PM
Hagerstown, MD
Joined Jan 2008
692 Posts
Well, I have some bad news to report. Since installing the new outrunner motor, the airplane has proven itself to be a very nice flying model, and we really thought that most of the issues were behind us.

On its' last flight ( that's the bad news ) the plane was rather far out and up. Andy attempted to do an inside loop, and instead of continuing through the loop, the plane started falling straight down on its tail ( hammerhead style ), flipped to a nose down position, and suddenly came straight down to the ground, spiraling all the way to the ground. It wasn't a "flat spiral" but rather a nose down one, but it happened so fast that there wasn't any time to react, even though Andy tried to pull out.

Among all the damage, the two aileron servos gear teeth were stripped. I will post pictures of the carnage on my blog, in case you are interested.

What I am interested in knowing is if any of you have ideas as to what caused the plane to fail in that manner?

The night before, I recharged the Lipo battery ( 1800Mah 11.7 volts ) and the charger cut off at 1000Mah. Would that have been considered normal, or was the battery going bad ? I told you that I have had no real experience with electric power before, and this one, although it has taught me a lot, has been mostly bad.

I really think that some stray RF grabbed the receiver, and the plane went into a "death spiral", but I would certainly appreciate your input and opinions.

As I said, I will post pictures on my blog, but feel free to answer here on the thread. The insight would be good for all of us.
Old Jul 01, 2009, 02:22 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
390 Posts
Sorry this happened: 2.4 ghz or 72?
Old Jul 01, 2009, 03:29 PM
Hagerstown, MD
Joined Jan 2008
692 Posts
72 but have never had a problem with something grabbing the receivers before. The Transmitter is a JR 4 channel, and the receiver is a 7 channel Berg.

Thanks for reading this.
Old Jul 01, 2009, 03:39 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_ag3y

On its' last flight ( that's the bad news ) the plane was rather far out and up. Andy attempted to do an inside loop, and instead of continuing through the loop, the plane started falling straight down on its tail ( hammerhead style ), flipped to a nose down position, and suddenly came straight down to the ground, spiraling all the way to the ground. It wasn't a "flat spiral" but rather a nose down one, but it happened so fast that there wasn't any time to react, even though Andy tried to pull out.

What I am interested in knowing is if any of you have ideas as to what caused the plane to fail in that manner?

I really think that some stray RF grabbed the receiver, and the plane went into a "death spiral", but I would certainly appreciate your input and opinions.

To be honest I think he stalled it and it went into a spin. I had the same thing happen soon after I got mine and it does it fast. I was going a little too slow into a head wind and it suddenly dropped a wing and went into a nose dive spinning toward the ground. I was up about 100 feet though so I had time to save it. This is a very nice flying plane but it's not a floater, you have to keep the speed up.
Old Jul 01, 2009, 04:47 PM
Hagerstown, MD
Joined Jan 2008
692 Posts
That is why I was wondering if I had battery issues. The plane had enough power with the new outrunner engine, to nearly pull itself out of your hands, when held vertically. Prior to the spinout, he had made one inside loop, but instead of coming out on the same line as it went in, it rolled to one side. He was able to recover it at that time.

I suggested that he try one higher up with less up elevator. That is when it fell off the vertical, turned nose down, and drilled into the ground.

The winds were calm, so nothing of that nature was affecting the flight. But we are writing off the plane as a poor adventure, and a good lesson. I'm going back to "slimers". At least, if the engine is acting up, you can HEAR it !
Old Jul 02, 2009, 04:07 PM
Hagerstown, MD
Joined Jan 2008
692 Posts
I have now posted an "obituary" and a set of pictures of the damage done to the Lancair EP on my blog site. You are welcome to view it, and thanks for your time.

Your help and advice was greatly appreciated, each of you. The little outrunner motor was a real learning experience, and I may end up putting together a small electric cabin-style trainer that has been laying around in a box here for years. The motor should be just about the right size for that plane, and I hate to let anything go to waste!

Again, thanks for all of your time and interest. Jim S.
Old Jul 02, 2009, 04:08 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
390 Posts
Jim, someone may be interested in the parts!

Heck, I might!