SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2006, 09:52 PM
Joined Jun 2004
59 Posts
Help!
Katana Mini?, E-flite Edge 540?, Fliton Edge?, Hyperion Yak 55SP?.......

Hey everyone, I have been flying a 3D Foamy Giles G202 for about a year now and I've become confident in some 3D and Pattern style maneuvers. I am ready to move to the next level and get a balsa aerobat!! . Anyway, I am having a hard time deciding between the Katana Mini, E-flite Edge, Fliton Edge, or the Hyperion Yak 55SP. I have pretty much narrowed it down to either the Yak or the Katana. However, I'm not very sure about the other aircraft and I would like as much help from you guys as possible. OPINIONS ARE WELCOMED!!!! Thanks
Cudaboy is offline Find More Posts by Cudaboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:03 AM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Katana Mini is probably the lightest, floatiest, and most like your foamy...maybe. The Fliton is also pretty light. The Hyperion Yak is the "nicest" in my opinion, great magnetic hatch and I like the colors. The Eflite is most rugged. If you plan on cartwheeling it, it's the most likely to survive and we have the spare parts in-stock (fuse, wings, tail, etc.).

It's pretty much what you want to do. Hovering? Take the fliton, then maybe the Katana. Sport flying including some wind? MiniEdge/Hyperion Yak, then probably the Katana.

They're actually quite similar, and it really matters most what you want to do and what size Lipoly packs you have. If you have 1200-1500, then the Fliton is #1, ME #2. If you only have 2000's, Then go for the Hyperion or Katana. If you want to use both, the ME is probably your best best. If you're trying to use 2500's or 2600's, the Katana is the only choice.

You can get any one of them from 3DHobbyShop.com.

Good Luck!
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 23, 2006, 09:00 AM
You're good!
United States, VA, White Stone
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
I personally think the E-Flight Edge flies like a guided brick, plus it has a bad tendency to snap violently. The Katana flies very nice and predicable. I don't know much about the Fliton Edge, but if it is as nice as their Mini Extra 330, that may be the one that flies most like your foamy...in fact, I gonna recommend the Fliton Extra 330. What equipment and batteries do you already have?
Safety Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Safety Hawk
Old Jan 23, 2006, 09:05 AM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,893 Posts
I was just looking at the Yak. That is a pretty plane. Any way to mount a cobri gearbox in that thing? Or only outrunners?
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Old Jan 23, 2006, 09:50 AM
Joined Jun 2004
59 Posts
The Fliton seems pretty cool, but I'm starting to lean toward the KM because of what you say about its floatiness. The videos seem to show it as fairly forgiving and easy to fly for an intermediate with aileron experience. It looks rock solid. I've read threads about how it has some undesired flight characterisitcs such as tip stalling on a hard elevator pull. But, I've also heard that its fairly tough on landing and the carbon is cool. I've gotten out of my cart wheeling stage about a year ago except for my PCW. (There's no reason to cart wheel with 150-250W of power and a properly trimmed aircraft). Could you shed some light on the flight characteristics and let me know if it is true what they say. It won't sway me because some of those things are just aerodynamic related........ Oh yeah, I have an E-flite Park 400 4200 Kv just sitting around. It's similar to the Himax, would that be a good motor for the Katana with a 6.6-1 Cobri gearbox? Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2006, 09:58 AM
Joined Jun 2004
59 Posts
My equipment:

Motors: Park 370 3700 Kv inrunner-----------> Wattage F-22
Park 400 4200 Kv inrunner
Park 480 870 Kv outrunner------>3DFoamy Giles G202 Pro
ESC: E-flite 20amp----------------->3DF G202 Pro
E-flite 40 amp-----------------> Wattage F-22 Pusher
Batteries: Polyquest "Twenty" 11.1V 1200 mah---------> 3DF G202 Pro
Thunderpower 1320mah 11.1V (not Pro-lite) -----> Wattage F-22
Receiver: JR R610M (Planning on a R610UL in future) been very reliable!
-------------------------> 3DF Giles G202 Pro
Tx: JR XP662 FM Air/Heli

Servos: Hitec HS55-------------------> 3DF G202/x2 for ailerons
BMS-370 "Bluebird" I think--------------> 3DF G202/x2 for tail feathers
BMS-306 (smaller than above)
E-flite S75----------> Wattage F-22
Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:53 AM
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Either the EF 480 outruner or the 4200 400 inrunner would be "okay" for the KM, neither would be exactly ballistic. Try to keep it light.

Whether a given aerobatic plane is prone to tip stalls appears to vary a lot with pilot and setup. All of them will tip stall if provoked, otherwise, they would be very difficult to snap roll when you wanted to. Keep in mind that dual rates help a lot, provided your low rate is low enough not to provoke a tip stall, and your high rate is high enough to give clean 3D maneuvers without tip stalling. In between is the danger zone for some planes.

We also recommend that pilots new to this type of aircraft add some washout (down twist at the tips) to the wings of these airplanes during assembly. You can do this with a heat gun. Twist the wing, the covering will wrinkle, shrink the wrinkles out and it will stay that way. Make sure both wings are done the same amount. Later, when you want to be really precise in your flying, you can usually shrink it back out.

The KM is floaty on a light setup, and can be flown very slowly. The MiniEdge never feels floaty to me. The Fliton planes are in-between, in my opinion.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:01 AM
Joined Jun 2004
2,231 Posts
Sometime ago I was sitting on the fence trying to figure out what to get: E-flite ME540, Fliton ME330, or PA MiniKatana. Also considered the Hyperion Extra.
I read good and bad things about them. I decided not to take them in consideration, since it wasn't me flying, but someone else that I don't even know (you really can't tell who is a good or a bad builder, pilot, etc). So, I narrowed it down to quality (build), costumer support, available parts, and price. The fliton is the one that needs the most mods of the bunch, I don't know about the CS, never saw available parts and the price is between the other 2. The Katana needs one mod here and there, don't know about their CS, only parts available I saw was CF controls horns and pants, most expensive of the bunch. The ME540 doesn't need any mod, E-flite has good CS, parts are available for the whole plane, cheapest one and it was my pick.
Now, the ME540 is kinda of a lottery. You may get a straight plane, or you may have to pull the heat gun or iron to remove the warps of the wings - not a hard thing to do, but I think it's annoying.
Another reason I got the ME540, was the look of it. Fliton looks cheesy with those flat ailerons (the fliton 540 is even worse looking that the 330) and I hate pink. The Katana looks like...err...I don't know what it looks like (I like my planes to look scale). But, I also didn't like the ME colors. So I recovered it.
Malves is offline Find More Posts by Malves
Last edited by Malves; Jan 23, 2006 at 11:07 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:10 AM
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Malves, have you ordered a Stevens Aero 540 kit yet? Your ME needs a big brother! Covered exactly the same, of course.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:24 AM
Joined Jan 2005
62 Posts
I have three of the four mentioned planes.I prefer them in this order:
1. Mini Katana
2. Fliton Mini Extra 330 (Great plane , great flyer, but NO replacement parts available)
3.Eflite Mini Edge 540 ( some what of a hand full at times)
Harold356 is offline Find More Posts by Harold356
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:37 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
966 Posts
I'm getting the Hyperion Yak 55 when funds allow.
TRuss is offline Find More Posts by TRuss
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:18 PM
Joined Jun 2004
2,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher
Malves, have you ordered a Stevens Aero 540 kit yet? Your ME needs a big brother! Covered exactly the same, of course.
No, not yet. That'll be a summer project, I think. Also considering in going a lil bigger than 50".

I think I'm gonna paint those pants black.
Malves is offline Find More Posts by Malves
Old Jan 23, 2006, 06:20 PM
Joined Jun 2004
59 Posts
So, would using a Castle Creations 25 amp ESC, S75 servos, and an R610UL receiver do the trick with a 1500 mah Polyquest Pack? Does that setup sound light to anyone who knows about the KM?
Old Jan 23, 2006, 06:26 PM
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Sounds really light to me. Maybe too light. It's a pretty big airplane.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 23, 2006, 06:54 PM
Joined Jun 2004
59 Posts
what would be your recommendation as far as changes to the above setup? Thanks