HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2006, 08:06 PM
Joined Oct 2004
168 Posts
Discussion
Edge 540 by ................?

I am looking into getting the E-Flite Edge 540. I have seen since the Fliton and the Stevens Aero. I was wondering which of these 3 seem to be the best for all around use.

I know the SA is a kit, and I know how well his kits are already. I want to use the E-flite 480 outrunner. I know some have had trouble with the Mini Funtana from where I fly. However I have heard alot of praise regarding the E-Flite Edge. Not to much on the Fliton though.

Some help please..

Thanks,

Chad
chadvicki is offline Find More Posts by chadvicki
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2006, 08:09 PM
GIMMIE FOAM!!!
Edwardsville KS
Joined Oct 2005
1,742 Posts
I woulda tossed my Eflight edge in the trash if I got it for free.
AirNerd is offline Find More Posts by AirNerd
Old Jan 22, 2006, 08:14 PM
Joined Oct 2004
168 Posts
??

Why is that?

Chad
Old Jan 22, 2006, 08:19 PM
Bob S
Austin Tx
Joined Dec 2004
291 Posts
I love my SA Edge. I wonder if the E-Flite 480 could be anemic on it. It is a 32oz plane and that is a 275w motor. Then again I'm at 6500 ft and like more power so it may be just fine.
ki0qm is offline Find More Posts by ki0qm
Old Jan 22, 2006, 08:26 PM
GIMMIE FOAM!!!
Edwardsville KS
Joined Oct 2005
1,742 Posts
well... mine snaped with very little elevator input and just could not hold a steady hover tiped over on most landings even with large wheels other little things also .

I must say tho on the threads some people liked it and some did not (me not) some people got good staight kits and others got kits all outa whack ( i musta got an outa whack one).

This is just one expeirience (mine) and I flew mine several times and made adjustments and could never get MINE to fly worth a $#!? so I sold the darn thing.

Also I did like my mini funtana beter but it had its probs also.

I have never owned a Fliton kit but they have a new bipe comming out and that may be my first because my fleet is starting to consit of mainly bipes Icant get enuf of em
Old Jan 22, 2006, 08:27 PM
GIMMIE FOAM!!!
Edwardsville KS
Joined Oct 2005
1,742 Posts
By the way I flew mine with an AXI 2808-24 ( seems to spec out with the 480)
Old Jan 22, 2006, 08:37 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
I think the SA Edge is far superior to the others mentioned, but it is in a different size class. It really needs 250-300 watts to shine.

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Jan 22, 2006, 09:15 PM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
For 3D...go with the fliton or SA edge. The e-flite edge will do it too but you have to be good!
papasmurf is offline Find More Posts by papasmurf
Old Jan 22, 2006, 09:19 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
The Fliton flies light and dainty, the EFlite is like a truck by comparison, but sometimes (overpowered plane for windy days) a truck is perfect. The EFlite is rugged, really rugged, and spare parts are easy to get. I'd choose the Fliton for paved strips, the Eflite w/ aluminum gear for rough grass.

I found the EFlite Edge to be pretty easy to hover, and lots of fun to fly. The Fliton is also very nice to fly, just different. As for snaps, both planes do it well on command, and both planes will do it on their own if you yank around on the right stick.

The SA Edge is awesome, but usually if a person can spend that kind of time building a kit, they're not going to be in the market for an ARF. It's a whole different realm of time and money.

I'd say, based on my experience, the MiniEdge is superior to the MiniFuntana. Some people disagree. For certain, the ME is easier to hover than the MF.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:24 AM
Joined Oct 2004
168 Posts
Power

So it seems that the E-Flite 480 is good for the ME and the Fliton...? What about a outrunner for the SA? I really don't like gearboxes.

I did have a Jumping Jack and used the 2816-890 with it and it wasn't really super power. It was great for sport flying.

I have had a Slofly 28" and loved it. I good hover and knife edge 2" off the ground. EPP, so yu don't worry as much.

It sounds like the wood arf's or kits are going to be harder to hover?

What do you all think?

Thanks for the replies also,

Chad
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:33 AM
Joined Jun 2004
2,231 Posts
Hacker A30-16M for the SA.
Malves is offline Find More Posts by Malves
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:54 AM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
So it seems that the E-Flite 480 is good for the ME and the Fliton...? What about a outrunner for the SA? I really don't like gearboxes.

I'm putting a Hyperion 3019-12 in my SA. A 3013-16 will also work.

I did have a Jumping Jack and used the 2816-890 with it and it wasn't really super power. It was great for sport flying.

Yeah, that motor is kinda wimpy in these sized planes. Great in a 14-16 oz. though.

It sounds like the wood arf's or kits are going to be harder to hover?

Yep.

What do you all think?

I think Balsa is lots of fun, and a challenge. My balsa planes make my flat foam ones seem so *easy*.

Thanks for the replies also

No prob.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 23, 2006, 05:44 PM
Suspended Account
America
Joined Jun 2003
117 Posts
chad, depends on what flying you are after. I have to agree with others, my eflite edge is not too impressive and my fliton 540 is definately one of my favorits. It came together fast, hovers like no other and is tremendously steady at slow speeds. Not to mention it looks awesome! Goodluck watever route you go~
Likwid.RCman is offline Find More Posts by Likwid.RCman
Old Jan 23, 2006, 09:47 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,347 Posts
i had a bad experience with my fliton edge when the wing folded while night flying doing a snap roll Saturday. still not sure of the cause but i did cut into the bottom of the spar a little but reinforced it
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:31 AM
Joined Oct 2004
168 Posts

Bluecor,

I noticed you have some experience converting larger aircraft into electric. I have a couple new unused Tanic 4cell 3250mah packs waiting for something. What might a better plane like the ones mentioned above be that could use these packs? I was thinking of getting the eflite 60 outrunner and I have a new unsued CC 80 waiting as well. also would buying one more of those packs help in anyway for different combos.

Thanks for the info on the eflite and fliton edges guys. Like I said before I had the jumping jack and it was not as easy to hover as a epp plane. Plus I didn't have the most powerful motor installed. I am worried that the edges will both be more difficult to get into a stable hover.

It seems that I hear the larger planes are easier on the stability?

What do you think about this plane for what I got?

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/harvard-at6.htm

Thanks,

Chad
Last edited by chadvicki; Jan 24, 2006 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Check this out