SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 12, 2002, 10:53 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
How late did YOU fly tonight?

I finally got around to completing the installation of the night lights on my Tiger Moth. It was pretty easy, I just got side-tracked with some other R/C projects. This kit is the "Park Flyer Nite Lites" set sold by Hobby People:

http://hobbypeople.net/

It comes with 3 lights prewired to a control module. The lights have small plastic covers, one each of red, blue and clear. I wired a small switch so I could leave the lights off for daytime flying, and rigged up a connector which I plugged into the "wrong" end (where the wires go in) of my ESC-to-battery connector.

1st reaction- COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!! Oh man, it is so neat looking flying at dusk and seeing those lights when you bank into turns. Then as it gets darker, the plane actually gets easier to see against the darkening sky. Of course for once there was no one around to show this cool feature off to, but you can bet the next time friends or relatives are over I'll be hauling them out after dark to see this! I don't know that I'd try this on anything fast moving or with ailerons, but on a slow flying easy to control plane, it extends your flying time pretty much indefinitely. I also would not recommend going out and doing this on your 1st flight, but if you have been flying your TM or slowflyer and are used to how it handles and what it looks like, night flying is for you!

Pics to follow...
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2002, 10:57 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
As can be seen in the pic below (sorry about the quality, my camera wouldn't auto-focus) I mounted the red light on one wingtip and the blue on the other. I mounted the white light on the tail group although I haven't settled on a final location for it yet. When the plane is flying away from me, the white light is so bright it actually makes it hard to see anything else. I landed several times and played around with different mounting spots, but no decision yet. Anyway, I located the module inside the fuse and ran the wiring along the bottom of the wings, then wrapped the wire around the wingtip and pointed the light up at the top wing. The result is a well-lit underside of the top wing which is highly visible while flying. Also a small dot shines through the lower wing which helps orientation too. This pic is looking up from the bottom left of the plane.
Old Jun 12, 2002, 11:05 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Because the wings are thin foam, they are somewhat translucent. As you can see in this top down photo (again, sorry for the blurriness) the light shines through the wing so in banked turns the top of the wing can be seen. Ambient light also lights up the fuse somewhat.

The plane weighs in at just under 8 ounces with the light kit and battery pack (li-ons) in place RTF. 1st flight I intentionally tried to run the pack out to see what impact the lights might have. Duration was 32 minutes with power to spare (I didn't want to risk a deadstick night-time landing!). Climbout seemed unaffected as well. I'd say the draw of the light set is of negligible impact on power and duration. Surprising considering how bright the lights are!

If you get bored with flying your TM, you've gotta try this out, it's a kick!
Old Jun 12, 2002, 11:28 PM
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2000
2,526 Posts
daylight rules

Paul
Paul Penney is offline Find More Posts by Paul Penney
Old Jun 13, 2002, 12:02 AM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
That's cool! I've been wanting to put lights on the DuskStik for a while now. How about a direct link to that light set on Hobby People's website? I couldn't find them.

Thanks!
flytowner is offline Find More Posts by flytowner
Old Jun 13, 2002, 12:10 AM
Crash Site Instigator
Novato, CA USA
Joined Jan 2002
917 Posts
http://hobbypeople.net/mfr/ram01.asp
sheerLuck is offline Find More Posts by sheerLuck
Old Jun 13, 2002, 12:10 AM
So. Cali
Joined Mar 2002
187 Posts
Flytowner, here you go.
http://hobbypeople.net/prdcls/light01.asp

part number 726132
SiRacer is offline Find More Posts by SiRacer
Old Jun 13, 2002, 12:34 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Sorry FT, I got a little lazy there Strangely, even though SiRacer and Flytowner posted different links, they both seem to point to the right place! Unfortunately it appears the light kit is out of stock I did a Google search and found them cheaper here:

http://www.leisure-time.com/ram.htm

Also found some here:

http://www.littleshopofhobbies.com/RC_E_Planes5.htm

And here:

http://www.prop-shop.com/man/ZRAM.HTM

I'm not familiar with any of these shops, just turned them up in a generic search.

I think these would work great on your DuskStik! Especially if you have translucent covering on it!
Old Jun 13, 2002, 12:38 AM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
newly lit Wingo

I just received two 60" light cables from rcneon and strung them up on my Wingo a few hours ago. They are powered by two tiny drivers which i removed from the cases and wired to run directly from my 7 or 8 cell battery packs (they are inline between the battery and ESC, with their own tiny on/off switch). This way they're very bright and I don't have to lug around two 9 volt batteries.

I've yet to fly with lights and I'm afraid it may never get dark enough this time of year in Alaska to see them, oh well.

5 points if you spot the cat in the picture
apex is offline Find More Posts by apex
Old Jun 13, 2002, 12:39 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
I forgot to say, the coolest thing of all was doing loops after dark! At the top of the loop, you see the light reflecting on the underside of the top wing, then as it loops you see the lights themselves which are quite bright and make a kind of streak effect against the dark sky, then back to the reflection on the wings as the loop finishes. NEAT!

I was skeptical that 3 lights would be enough to fly by after dark, but more lights would have meant more weight which I didn't want. But no fear, the 3 light setup works quite well.
Old Jun 13, 2002, 12:45 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Apex, way cooool! I've heard those are relatively heavy, they'd probably weigh the TM down pretty bad but the Wingo can handle a lot more so should do fine.

I think I see the cat, but are you sure it should be flying the plane like that?
Old Jun 13, 2002, 12:55 AM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
rcneon light weight

I don't have a scale, but I'd say each 60" tube & driver weigh .5 to 1.5oz.

I've never had a TM so I don't know how that'd affect it. It would also induce extra drag of course. Heck, on a TM you'd have to wrap the lights all over the airframe to use up all 120"
apex is offline Find More Posts by apex
Old Jun 13, 2002, 10:36 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==I don't have a scale, but I'd say each 60" tube & driver weigh .5 to 1.5oz. ==

Yikes! That is really heavy for a TM. If they are 1.5 ounces, 2 of them would add 3 ounces to a 7-8 ounce plane, so you're talking somewhere in the neighborhood of an extra 40% to the weight That would turn my TM from a plane with a gentle 10' rollout into an R/C car basically
Old Jun 13, 2002, 10:59 AM
Manassas, VA, USA
Joined Feb 2002
651 Posts
Your TM has a rollout?
Stregone is offline Find More Posts by Stregone
Old Jun 13, 2002, 11:20 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts