HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2006, 04:32 PM
Northern Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
650 Posts
Discussion
Plug in removable wings for depron park jets

In building these jets for pilots around the world, I have gotten some challenging requests. One such request came from a gentileman who travels the world and wants to take his F-18 with him.

Problem; how to shrink it down to fit in a checkable case (I'm shooting for a small insrument case modified to fit our park jets). BTW, I hope to be able to get the transmitter in the case as well.

Solution; removable wings and verticals. The system for the wings is now complete and I am posting this for some feedback. I am now going to do this to all the ones I build as it makes shipping easier anyway. This will also make it easy to replace a damaged wing section. This is how I worked it out on an F-15. I did have build to taller turbine housings but they are not solid and the weight gain is minimal. I think they look better anyway. On the F-18, the turtle deck in the center will be the location for the two pins.

Not shown in the pictures yet are the aierons. I plan to split them as well and leave the inboard 1" with the center section of the wing. This way the horn and servo lincage will remain connected at all times.
ram3500-rcu is offline Find More Posts by ram3500-rcu
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2006, 05:48 PM
Newnan, GA
Joined Jun 2005
140 Posts
That really is a fantastic idea! Quick question though... How do you supose removable wings would work on the BD-5?
alpapilot is offline Find More Posts by alpapilot
Old Jan 22, 2006, 06:05 PM
Northern Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
650 Posts
can do

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpapilot
That really is a fantastic idea! Quick question though... How do you supose removable wings would work on the BD-5?
With todays carbon fiber rod, I think it is a possibility. The pin system would be easily accessable through the large hatch, and there is enough of a belly pan under the wing so the pins wouldn't protrude out the bottom. Maybe I will play around with this. Shipping would be much easier anyway. Think of how small the box could be.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 09:39 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2005
1,004 Posts
Clever,I like the tiny cotterpins.
cdebaca is offline Find More Posts by cdebaca
Old Jan 22, 2006, 10:49 PM
Northern Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdebaca
Clever,I like the tiny cotterpins.
Thanks. I plan to glue them to a length of fish line and fasten it inside the hatch so you can't loose them.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 11:30 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2005
1,004 Posts
Pins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram3500-rcu
Thanks. I plan to glue them to a length of fish line and fasten it inside the hatch so you can't loose them.
Uhh,how would you get them back on?
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:15 AM
Northern Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
650 Posts
Quote:
Uhh,how would you get them back on?
Not sure what you mean. I'm just cabeling them to the fuse. so you can't drop them. They would be hard to find in grass.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:18 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2005
1,004 Posts
Oh I get it stupid me.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 01:05 AM
Northern Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
650 Posts
Quote:
Oh I get it stupid me.
Don't be too hard on yourself. Pictures will help when I can post them. I have to pull off the project for 4 days because of my full time job. Be back on it Friday.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 01:40 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Beringen
Joined Sep 2005
24 Posts
Very interesting concept, take care however with the combination aluminium tube/carbon rod. friction between these materials could induce radio interference during flight.
Anyway, Ilike the idea!
greets,

Patrick
patrickverlinden is offline Find More Posts by patrickverlinden
Old Jan 23, 2006, 02:05 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,592 Posts
GREAT idea! Although this will add a little weight, I think these jets can easily handle it. Rather than split the flaperons, I'd suggest just putting them on the outboard wing only. You'd have to disconnect the flaperon control linkage every time you take the wing off, but that's easy to do. Other than that, I don't foresee any problems.

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Jan 23, 2006, 02:52 AM
TOPDOG
Taiwan
Joined Oct 2003
817 Posts
looks better than the way i used on my EDF version of my F-18. ( i mashedone wing into the ground but the carbon didnt snap so i glued a 3mm di. core rod to the new wing cutout and slid it back on)
pacro is offline Find More Posts by pacro
Old Jan 23, 2006, 06:30 AM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Oct 2004
323 Posts
Well,Ive done this to my F-14.

Wings,elevons and stabilator are detachables.
Ill take some pictures and post it here how i done it.

Allen
Micronics is offline Find More Posts by Micronics
Old Jan 23, 2006, 07:50 PM
Northern Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44
GREAT idea! Although this will add a little weight, I think these jets can easily handle it. Rather than split the flaperons, I'd suggest just putting them on the outboard wing only. You'd have to disconnect the flaperon control linkage every time you take the wing off, but that's easy to do. Other than that, I don't foresee any problems.

Steve
Thanks Steve, for your feed back. I very much enjoy your designs. On the lincage, my thinking on that was two fold. 1. not running the risk of getting something out of trim by messing with the lincage all the time and 2. minimizing the risk of loosing the link when it is disconnected. I could see myself getting to the field only to fine a pushrod missing. Murphys law and all. I figured a way to plug the aileron into it's root as well without disturbing the adjustments.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 08:12 PM
Northern Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickverlinden
Very interesting concept, take care however with the combination aluminium tube/carbon rod. friction between these materials could induce radio interference during flight.
Anyway, Ilike the idea!
greets,

Patrick
Thanks Patric for the heads up. I am placing a small 'plug' of bees wax (the soft kind used to weather proof leather) in the tube, then I push the rod in. This lubes up the rod and helps prevent the epoxy from wicking in the tube when I lay it all up. Do you think I would be better off using dialectric grease for this, or am I ok with the wax?