SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2006, 01:39 PM
3DHS Addict DownUnder
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Aug 2004
806 Posts
Discussion
Starting a new club in Perth (Electric Only)

Hi
Iam a electric flyer in Perth and i was woundering if there are any spots that people fly at south of the river and are there any electric only clubs out there. Maybe it could be whorth starting an electric only club somewhere in Perth that we dont have to travel hours to get to ,like most clubs in perth which are dominated by petrol and have huge membership fees. Why should be be paying so much for something thats a hobby. As i have taught myself to fly (used to live in country where there was no club and now have moved to Perth for uni) i havent got any "wings" so to speak so i would have to be trained up on a petrol plane and then fight the sky for electric at the larger clubs , why bother when i can go to a local park. Need so electric clubs closer in perth that are not to expensive on the membership fees
grizzlymatt is offline Find More Posts by grizzlymatt
Last edited by grizzlymatt; Feb 12, 2006 at 12:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:13 PM
Newcastle NSW
Joined May 2004
438 Posts
Hey,

Unfortunatley I dont know f any E clubs south of the river but there are a few that are north of the river. Im not sure what size a/c you are talking about but there is a indoor session that happens on a wed night up at the Midland Velodrome (sorry cant remember which wed it is he he) The guys that fly there are great and they are a memeber of a club tht runs on a couple of ovals, memebership is about 80 a year. Drop in and have a chat they will give all the info you will need.

I used to live in Perth no so long ago (joined the RAAF) thats why i cant remember any of the details. If you do go have a chat to Peter Harding, nice guy. Tell him i said hi.

Alex
highace1 is offline Find More Posts by highace1
Old Feb 12, 2006, 12:29 AM
3DHS Addict DownUnder
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Aug 2004
806 Posts
iam interested in starting an electric only club in perth south of the river , what is the procedure for setting up a club , would be looking at getting some approval from some local schools and uni grounds for a site to fly at , any one interested or anyone what needs to be done couldnt find any details on the maaa website for starting a new club
thanks
matt
Old Feb 12, 2006, 09:55 PM
Toof-fairy
Perth, Australia
Joined Sep 2005
802 Posts
Thats very cool, just annoying that ill be leaving perth for the gold coast this wednesday.

Theres alot of great places for electrics. Id say the best way to find suitable parks is to use google earth/maps and look for treeless parks, as well as using a streetmap to ensure its accessible.

I normally fly at the Tomkins Park at the river where wireless hill is. And apparently the council is pretty lineant on planes (electric only). Might be worth asking about that location. What i like about that place is the long length of the park and the low (not zero) trees to the west of the park which means a less disturbed airflow over the area, so a seabreeze is fairly constant and not turbulent which is a pretty rare situation for suburbian parks.
http://maps.google.com/?ll=-32.02748...2,0.019956&t=k
(the brown area to the north east end of the park. The cricket grounds are already part of the cricket club and are used regularly.)

Another is maybe the oval at kardinya primary school (that i went to). The bigger public oval, not the school one is a full footy oval with lighting. Its part of the council, but its a nice field. When i was at that school we were visited by the navy and one of their helis which landed there.
http://maps.google.com/?t=k&ll=-32.0...8,0.019956&t=k
(the oval is the one to the eastern side, i never realised there was another to the south of the school (it was out of bounds for students LOL))

This field is ULTRA smooth and even 1" wheels will roll smothly on it, but its like baseball headquarters with baseball practically during flying times, but would be perfect for electrics.
http://maps.google.com/?t=k&ll=-32.0...3,0.019956&t=k

This park is part of Murdoch uni, and is big, but my dad was told to leave the area when he flew helis there. Might be worth asking, but given that its part of a uni might be harder to arrange a club there.
http://maps.google.com/?t=k&ll=-32.0...8,0.019956&t=k

Well these are parks that are "local" to me and so are what im aware of.

Owen
osmium_192 is offline Find More Posts by osmium_192
Last edited by osmium_192; Feb 12, 2006 at 10:11 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 10:12 PM
3DHS Addict DownUnder
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Aug 2004
806 Posts
yeah i was just looking at orgainsing something so that we have a legal place to fly and insurance and iam sure that some of the local schools or uni would have any problems with it , i got permisson from the hale school principal to fly on there grounds when not in use but now since i have moved south of the river looking to find a place and make it offical , any one what i need to do this
Old Feb 12, 2006, 10:36 PM
Western Australia
Joined Jun 2004
750 Posts
grizzlymatt,

south the river here too, Willetton to be exact

using google maps sounds like a great idea, normaly im flying at my highschool oval and would like to fly with others. Why dont us southys have a meet-up somwhere every week or so? instead of a real club?

James
_James_ is offline Find More Posts by _James_
Old Feb 12, 2006, 10:56 PM
Toof-fairy
Perth, Australia
Joined Sep 2005
802 Posts
Personally i think the informal nature of these clubs mean just meeting up is fine.

Its just that when flying, we really need to be careful not to cause or do anything that can result in legal action. Willetton is really close to where i live. Im in kardinya. and i went to rossmoyne SHS.

Its just kinda not cool that i will be leaving soo soon. Otherwise id be out every now and agian, get to meet up with real people.

Yeah, the google maps are brilliant for determining the flyability of a park. The best example is samson park. on the streetmap its HUGE, but once you look at it on google you realise that its not the best place to fly. (lol i actually went out to have a look before i checked on the maps)
http://maps.google.com/?t=k&ll=-32.0...1,0.007811&t=k

Hmm, tried my links and the zoom seems pretty far out, Just look for the park in the approximate middle of the page.

Owen
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:12 PM
3DHS Addict DownUnder
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Aug 2004
806 Posts
yeah its really to formality of a club but just somewhere to meet and fly and make it so we have some insurance and legal stuff behind us , not to worried about the club side just maybe getting council/school/uni approval and make everyone get some form of insurance through AWA or MAAA , which iam looking into
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:13 PM
3DHS Addict DownUnder
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Aug 2004
806 Posts
just get them to clear all that land at samson park would be good !!!
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:15 PM
Toof-fairy
Perth, Australia
Joined Sep 2005
802 Posts
Heres where i live, the house with the red roof to the right (east) of the white house at the cul-de-sac.

Off my street ive actually flown my outrage bipe, thats why these 3D planes are soo fun. Take off in the length of the plane and land with practically 0 ground speed.

Owen
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:22 PM
3DHS Addict DownUnder
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Aug 2004
806 Posts
need to get a list of people to see if theres enough intrest to maybe start something informal
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:42 PM
Western Australia
Joined Jun 2004
750 Posts
count me in..

Owen, how long will you be? hope your coming back.

attached is a picture of Willetton senior highschool oval (white dot)

James
_James_ is offline Find More Posts by _James_
Last edited by _James_; Mar 03, 2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:48 PM
Toof-fairy
Perth, Australia
Joined Sep 2005
802 Posts
Well im going to study at Griffiths uni in southport, on the gold coast.

What i want to do is work extra hard and hope to ace the course. Then apply for a course transfer back here to perth. Its sooo competitive trying to get into the course i wanted here (22 places) and some 700 applied i think. I got into the course in griffiths so ill go there first for the year.

James, you live like next to the park... cool

Owen
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:55 PM
3DHS Addict DownUnder
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Aug 2004
806 Posts
yeah well spread the word , iam currently doing vacation work out at a mine site on an island called groote eylandt off the coast of northern territory and will be back next week and get back into things havent had a fly for months and looking to get back into it , what coarse u studying owen
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:56 PM
3DHS Addict DownUnder
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Aug 2004
806 Posts
whats i like at Willetton senior highschool oval seems like a good spot any luck getting some approval from the school maybe some intrest there