HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2006, 01:19 PM
Joined Jan 2006
7 Posts
Help!
Boat Hull Repair!!!

I have a fiberglass 36" boat that has damage. I have two small holes about the size of a dime in the rear transom. Do I re glass it and paint or is there another way??? I sent out a different thread yesterday but I don't think I did it right. (SORRY) Thanks for any help...
lago is offline Find More Posts by lago
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2006, 02:37 PM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
lago,
My first thought would be to fit a 'plug' to the holes then 'glass' them in. Don't really see any problems with that, other than fibreglass doens't 'like' me, and probably not the best solution if those holes are used for mounting 'stuff' (strong enough?). I'm sure there are other suggestions...
- 'Doc
LtDoc is offline Find More Posts by LtDoc
Old Jan 22, 2006, 06:56 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
A two part epoxy would all so work and it will be quite strong, pluging the holes first is the best idea, and lay a sheet of micro fiber over the intire transom working in the epoxy as you go, It will come out very smooth for the paint. Have fun
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Jan 22, 2006, 07:27 PM
Joined Jan 2006
7 Posts
Thanks guys, The two holes are where my two exhaust pipes go. The boat got dropped... nice work... and I pulled them out and cleaned up the transom ready to re glass. Should I finish it first and then drill out the new exhaust holes or just incert them now and glass it all at once. It is a tight spot and sanding will be a bear. I can't get to it from inside. Thanks for the advice so far...
Old Jan 22, 2006, 08:53 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Seems like glassing it up and then drilling the holes would be the cleanest way to go...
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:09 AM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
When I take something apart then put it back together, it never goes back exactly like it was. If you're 'blessed' in the same way, I'd do the repair work then re-drill. Preparing the surface for 'glassing'/epoxying means sanding. Not always easy, but necessary.
- 'Doc

(just filled with good news today, ain't I?)
LtDoc is offline Find More Posts by LtDoc
Old Jan 23, 2006, 09:22 AM
Joined Jan 2006
7 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys... Looks like I will be spending the next few days sanding,sandind,sanding...I need the practice anyway. Thanks again for the help.
lago
Old Jan 23, 2006, 01:40 PM
Central California
Joined Aug 2003
1,137 Posts
Go to the local boat supplies store and get some Marine Tex Boat hull repair epoxy. Very easy to work with. Get the white.
Ledbetter is offline Find More Posts by Ledbetter
Old Jan 23, 2006, 02:00 PM
Joined Jan 2006
7 Posts
Will check it out thanks... Use the marine tex like I would the gel coat? I have to glass it first due to now I have a larger hole due to taking out both the exhaust pipes on both sides. Once i sand and smooth out the fiber glass is the marine tex going to take the place of the gel coat?
Thanks for the help!!!
Old Jan 23, 2006, 02:09 PM
Central California
Joined Aug 2003
1,137 Posts
Marine Tex is a two part epoxy putty. Once mixed, you fill in the crack or holes or what have you. Sand it to shape the next day. Very strong stuff.
Ledbetter is offline Find More Posts by Ledbetter