HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2002, 08:31 AM
Dayton, OH
Joined Apr 2002
109 Posts
.40 Trainer Recommendation Question

Greetings,

I have narrowed my .40 trainer choices down to two, the Avistar Select and the Kadet LT-40. This is based on competing recommendations from two of the instructors in the local flying club.

I have an LT-40 on backorder at the LHS, but I'm thinking that the Avistar may be better for me since I have several hours in the air with electrics and want something that will advance toward mild aerobatics a little faster.

Also, I already bought an OS FX .46 engine and I have a 6 channel JR radio.

Any opinions.

GB
Ghostbear is offline Find More Posts by Ghostbear
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2002, 03:45 PM
San Diego
Joined May 2002
18 Posts
Hi GB,
I haven't flown it yet but I am building a Kadet LT-40. It is building very easly and the instructions are first rate and a lot of the hardware comes with it. I also liked the Kadet because it is large (70") for a 40 size trainer, I'm putting a Magnum .52 four stroke on it. I flew RC quite a few years ago and flew a Midwest Aerostar at that time and it was a great airplanes as well. Good luck, enjoy.

Russ Gordon
greenshirtrwg is offline Find More Posts by greenshirtrwg
Old Jun 12, 2002, 05:01 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,768 Posts
Ghostbear. I have been teaching R/C for six years now. Our club uses the LT 40 almost exclusively because of the value and the availability. And since building is a dying art, the kit gives you that education too. It isn't hard at all. I've had 9 year olds successfully build and fly them. As for aerobatics, with the engine you've selected, the ONLY two AMA/FAI maneuvers the Kadet needs coaxing to do is a hammerhead. It has a little too much dihedral to just yaw through the turn; it takes a tad opposite aileron to get the move right. And sustained inverted flight again is hampered by the dihedral. But with practice (and that is the purpose of flying) you can keep it inverted all day. The rest of the stuff is easy. I've even seen under powered KADETs do rolling circles. If you move the CG back a little it even does a very nice spin And the record for building a Kadet is start Friday after work, and fly Sunday evening.
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski
Old Jun 12, 2002, 05:08 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,482 Posts
I think you will be happier with the Sig if quality is important to you. I have flown quite a few ( glow and electric) and as Tom S. siad they can do just about any manover there is. It is easy to fly pattern with a pattern ship, but a very good pilot can do the same with a trainer. :-)
Personally I can fly just about anything I want. One of my all time favorites to fly is a modified Kadet Senior. Rolling circles from take off, loops on landing, slipping it in so sideways, it almost trips when landing, etc are a blast, and take a lot more finesse and skill than with planes like my Kougar, Kife, Kaos etc. Not saying you won't want to get the more advanced types of planes, ( you really should as they are blast to fly), but don't just write off a plane because it has a flat bottom airfoil, and plenty of dihedral.:-) The learning continues long after you have soloed.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Jun 12, 2002, 07:03 PM
Dayton, OH
Joined Apr 2002
109 Posts
Thanks for the input

Like I said, one of my instructors was high on the Avistar.

I have had the LT-40 (arf) on order for almost 2 weeks. The LHS "claims" that SIG has messed up the order twice, but I think they were just trying to put together a bigger order (and have been stringing me along).

I would have gotten the kit, which they had until a few days ago, but I was trying to "keep up" with my friend who was about to solo on his Eagle 2, if the LHS had gotten the ARF in when they promised it, I would have already had two training sessions in.

Anyway, they promise me it will be in tomorrow or Friday.

GB
Ghostbear is offline Find More Posts by Ghostbear