SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 18, 2006, 07:34 PM
sussex England
Joined Jun 2002
463 Posts
Build Log
Twin 90mm midi pjp Eurofighter build thread

Hi all,
All the recent twin conversions have made me very envious and i couldnt wait to try one myself. I thought id start a build thread for a 90 size gas DF kit i got my hands on. As i now have access to a digital camera, i can post pictures as i go along.
Its a PJP eurofighter, www.pjpjets.co.uk originally for a 45-90 size gas fan. It would suit a wren 44 perfectly but is a bit small for a 54 size turbine.
I had toyed with kitting it with either a wm1000 or ds94, but i a twin midi may be more appropriate mainly due the gradual expenditure in setting this up.

Specs are as follows
60" length
40" wingspan
projected weight from website 8-12lbs.

the bare fuse isfibreglass and wings are balsa sheeted. Twin midis just and i mean just fit in the fuselage. They will be tricky to fit. Retracts will of course be fitted and wings may or may not be removable, mainly as i have a saloon car and need to be able to get other planes to the field when im flying.

Motors will either be 22/30/2 or the 30/3.
I have a 30/3 unused at the moment and my lithium count so far is 2 5s3p 6A TP and 3 3s30 6A TP cells.
It needs to fly off the local grass field so i may end up needing to go 30/3 with a lower capacity cell to achieve that. Ill decide later when i know what the weight is going to be.

So heres a taster of what ive got my hands on.
birdseed is online now Find More Posts by birdseed
Last edited by birdseed; Jan 18, 2006 at 07:41 PM. Reason: grammer and thread type
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2006, 07:36 PM
sussex England
Joined Jun 2002
463 Posts
So first question, The wing is balsa sheeted foam. Anyone with any suggestions how to make a "live hinge" on the top surface for the elevon. I plan to glass the wing anyway, but suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 08:13 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,478 Posts
Hi, birdseed! Great idea! Seems there is quite a bit of room for twin Midi's; you may not even have to tilt the fan mounting tab at an angle; although tilting them in my F-4 made it easier to access the screws next to the fus wall. The intake ducts will need to be custom designed for twins, of course. Can PJP do that as an option?

I'll follow your progress with interest. So please give that new digicam a frequent workout.

Phil
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
Old Jan 18, 2006, 08:41 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,847 Posts
I agree with Phil!

Lots of room in there, be sure to keep an eye on your intake area. As for your question, I don't do the live hinge stuff.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Jan 18, 2006, 09:46 PM
shut up & fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2001
3,824 Posts
thats a great size for a twin. it looks like it will all fit in there just fine including the intake

thanks for the website some of the othe kits look good for conversion... how is the quality of the kit?
hoser is offline Find More Posts by hoser
Old Jan 18, 2006, 09:48 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki, Midhirst
Joined Feb 1999
3,429 Posts
Cool signing on :0)
Sluf7 is offline Find More Posts by Sluf7
Old Jan 18, 2006, 10:06 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
cool i dig it! looks like plenty of room. only tight spot you may run into is where the wheels want to sit in the fuse when in the up position. I am doing a slightly smaller EF for 120mm and am having to cheat the wheel track out a tad so the wheels will fit next to the ducting. That one is bigger though so it may not be an issue. This one is 55x35

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Jan 19, 2006, 03:02 AM
Landkey, Devon, England.
Joined Jul 2003
826 Posts
Hi Barry, I will obviously follow this with keen interest

Ron
Ron Laden is offline Find More Posts by Ron Laden
Old Jan 19, 2006, 03:19 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
me too! lol

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Jan 19, 2006, 03:34 AM
Landkey, Devon, England.
Joined Jul 2003
826 Posts
Hi Birdseed,

Should make a nice conversion, I looked at 40" but when Gordon printed off a 3 view to size we quickly realised it was too big for a single 90mm, hence me going with 35".

I remember it looked good at 40" span/60" long, it should be very impressive with twin 90,s, best of luck with it.

Cheers
Ron
Old Jan 19, 2006, 03:43 AM
Dave Appleton
Liverpool, Great Britain (UK)
Joined May 2004
466 Posts
I've seen the eurofighter fly, admittedly a few years back and spoke to pete powell recently about the hawk 1/7 scale. At that time he didnt have any facility to get fuzes made, as I thought the conversion was a possibility. The inlets on the 1/7 hawk are a bit small according to pete, seemed OK for IC but may choke an EDF. The typhoon flys well though as they all do.....eh Ron

get cracking!

Dave..
Fire42 is offline Find More Posts by Fire42
Old Jan 19, 2006, 04:22 AM
Joined Aug 2000
3,919 Posts
Hi Birdseed

I've been hoping that someone would have ago at this kit, so congrats on being the first, and the best of luck to you.

Ref live hinges, the way they're done on the Vector elevons and l.e. flaps, and on the Bandito elevator, is to lay a strip of kevlar tape or cloth along the hinge line before adding the sheeting, which on both models is obeche veneer glued with laminating epoxy.

When ready to free the hinge, the underside gap is milled out with a router in the kits. With only basic modelling tools available though, it should be possible to excavate a vee-cut using a scalpel and steel rule to first cut the edges, taking care not to cut through the kevlar (which is tough enough to resist even a scalpel in fact). On the top surface, you mark the hinge line, then make a vee-cut down to the cloth using a triangular needle file. Then you saw the ends of the surfaces free, and voila, a live-hinged surface.

It is possible that glass cloth would be ok instead of kevlar - I couldn't really say so would defer to someone with the expertise - which will probably be found on the glider forum

The Bandito's ailerons and flaps are hinged with covering film, but I guess you'll be wanting to paint your Typhoon, making film unusable.

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Last edited by Gordon; Jan 19, 2006 at 04:28 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 06:21 PM
sussex England
Joined Jun 2002
463 Posts
Hi guys, thanks for all the help so far,

KC ill check the intake area.

Barry, ill look into the wheels, but im hoping they wont impinge too much. I have an axle to use on the main leg, so that should keep most of it out of the intake ducts way. But retract formers are the weekend job!

Hoser, the kit that i got my hands on isnt the full version from the website with intake ducting and the rest, its just the fuse, wings, fin, canards, vac formed canopy and cockpit and wooden ply formers for 90 size ducted fans. However pete powell had had one fuse layed up light as hed toyed with a twin 90mm version, but the price of fans, motors and controllers made him delay till later. He sold me this fuse which with primer on weighs 1 lb 4 oz.( ill double check) it certainly feels light enough. Im very pleased with it, but all i wanted was a glass euro fuse which is what i got, so im more than happy.

Gordon,
Thanks for the tips, i have to add hardwood to the rear of the foam wing, i think i may be able to adapt what youve suggested to that. Any idea where in the UK stocks kevlar strip, my local SMC didnt have it last week, ill try M&R and gliders distribution, but i dont have any numbers for UK suppliers of glass, carbon or kevlar cloth.
I do have some heavy glass cloth, but ill have a look on gliders and see what they recommend too.
Thanks guys
Old Jan 19, 2006, 07:56 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseed
Hi guys, thanks for all the help so far,

I do have some heavy glass cloth, but ill have a look on gliders and see what they recommend too.
Thanks guys
I have not build any live hinging, so please take my comment with caveat emptor. But I don't know if you want to sub glass for kevlar in this apps. I'm thinking glass does not do well with repeated flexing. What do you think?

Phil
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
Old Jan 20, 2006, 02:55 AM
Landkey, Devon, England.
Joined Jul 2003
826 Posts
Hi Birdseed,

I think I have some Kevlar Cloth stored somewhere, I will have a look and if so I will let you know and you can pm your address. Your welcome to some and I can pop it in the post.

Cheers
Ron