SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 18, 2006, 10:42 AM
You're good!
United States, VA, White Stone
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
Discussion
Noob Question...Brace yourself!!

It's actually not that bad, I'm looking for a good, but inexpensive gyro to use in a Trex 450. Can anyone recommend one of these? I plan on getting a better one later on, but right now I just want something that will work.

Jay
Safety Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Safety Hawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:17 AM
Joined Nov 2005
83 Posts
I have this gyro and it seems to work pretty well. It has both heading hold and rate modes that are adjustable from an extra channel. If you dont have an extra channel it adjusts heading hold only with a screwdriver. I am also planning on getting a better gyro down the road when I can actually tell the difference. Also these guys are really helpful, bought all my stuff there: http://www4.mailordercentral.com/hel...?number=335093
architorture is offline Find More Posts by architorture
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:50 AM
No Dear its not a new one
Joined Nov 2001
2,505 Posts
A GWS PG-03 will work, I used one in my X-400. it is a rate gyro only not HH tho. You can get them for around $45.

I am upgrading my T-rex to GY401 from Ikarus Profi Heading Hold, if you want it you can have it for $50 shipped to you and I will pick up the paypal fees.

It works in rate or heading mode and I am taking it off my T-rex today, pm me if interested.
hotairflyer is offline Find More Posts by hotairflyer
Old Jan 18, 2006, 01:22 PM
pfm
Patrick Mahoney
Fort Collins, CO
Joined Sep 2002
1,070 Posts
I am using the Align HH gyro that architorture mentioned. It works well for me as well. I'm not seeing a lot of drift - it's fairly lightweigh, makes transmitter set up really easy, and works as advertised. From my perspective as a relative newbie as well, I would encourage you to consider an HH gyro - they aren't that much more money - if you are going to spend $40+, why not spend $60-80 and get something much better - especially in light of the offer from hotairflyer.
pfm is offline Find More Posts by pfm
Old Jan 18, 2006, 04:05 PM
melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2004
215 Posts
I would recommend the futaba gy240 gyro. It is a heading hold gyro, though does not have remote gain. I have also heard that the jr 410 gyro is good for its price.
polar bear_909 is offline Find More Posts by polar bear_909
Old Jan 18, 2006, 04:09 PM
Lesson Learned = $$ Saved
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2005
745 Posts
There is a word of advice that is given from time to time. Buy cheap and buy over . Just think of a Gyro malfunction and losing $$$ to repair the kit. Do it right the first time, it will reward you later .

Wynn
Wynn1427 is offline Find More Posts by Wynn1427
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:36 PM
You're good!
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
I agree with you Wynn, and I carefully choose the words "inexpensive" and "good" to describe what I'm looking for. I know it's difficult to find those two qualities at the same time with most things, and I'm willing to spend more if I have to. But occasionally things get made that are both good and inexpensive, and I was just trying to see if that was the case here. Anyhow, I think I might just go ahead and get the GY401 and be done with it. Thanks everyone.

Jay
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:52 PM
Joined Nov 2005
83 Posts
Now that the subject has come up, I mentioned I had the align HH gyro, but would I notice a difference going to the GY401? As of now I am only doing sport flying, but I am going to attempt some loops and rolls sometime in the near future. Does the GY401 require digital servos? Do I have to get the best digital servo available to tap the power of the 401?
architorture is offline Find More Posts by architorture
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:19 AM
Omaha, NE
Joined Dec 2005
461 Posts
Don't go cheap, It will last forever in any heli you use (I think)

GY240 or GY401

Nuff said.
Upside-Down is offline Find More Posts by Upside-Down
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:29 AM
You're good!
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by architorture
Now that the subject has come up, I mentioned I had the align HH gyro, but would I notice a difference going to the GY401? As of now I am only doing sport flying, but I am going to attempt some loops and rolls sometime in the near future. Does the GY401 require digital servos? Do I have to get the best digital servo available to tap the power of the 401?
From what I've read, it doesn't require a digital servo. There is a "DS" switch that enables the the digital servo compatibilty, but it is only compatible with Futaba digital servos. Now as far as to whether you'll notice a difference...I don't know, I'm a total Newby when it come to helicopters.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:34 AM
Old new guy
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2004
3,152 Posts
The DS function is not limited to Futaba servos at all. The Airtronics and even the HDS877 micro digital work with it.
TheX is offline Find More Posts by TheX
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:46 AM
You're good!
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
Hmm...thatís good to know. Like I said, I was just regurgitating some info that I read. On the Futaba site it says it will only work with Futaba digital servos....probably so they'll sell servos. I don't know.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:47 AM
Suspended Account
Redding, Ca
Joined Nov 2005
5,040 Posts
Fix or Repair Daily

FORD i hate fords to
Nick J is offline Find More Posts by Nick J
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:56 AM
You're good!
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
Yep! But I'm referring to my inability to keep an aircraft flight worthy for longer than a days worth of flying.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 01:01 AM
Suspended Account
Redding, Ca
Joined Nov 2005
5,040 Posts
I also have the same problem
Nick J is offline Find More Posts by Nick J