HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:29 PM
clumsy thumbs
Lincoln, NE
Joined Dec 2003
1,015 Posts
Discussion
British Flying Boat

I was watching the Military Channel tonight and there was a program about German commerce raiders in WWII. They mentioned that British cruisers sent after them carried seaplanes for scouting. The plane they showed was a biplane flying boat, with a pusher engine mounted between the two wings. It was ugly, obsolete, and I've got to have one! Anyone know what plane that was?
shakysticks is offline Find More Posts by shakysticks
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:35 PM
Cloverdale, British Columbia
Joined Oct 2003
201 Posts
Vickers Supermarine Walrus

Hello,

That odd looking seaplane was a Supermarine Walrus. Flying Scale Models magazine Vol 8 No. 64 had a build article on this with a nice set of plans. It was a depron build, elec powered.

Hope that helps,

John
armourgod is offline Find More Posts by armourgod
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:40 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,833 Posts
Supermarine Walrus

Greg
Greg Beshouri is offline Find More Posts by Greg Beshouri
Old Jan 18, 2006, 02:40 AM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,405 Posts
There is some threads on the Walrus somewhere in this forum.
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Jan 18, 2006, 03:08 PM
Dog is my co-pilot.
United States, GA, Brooks
Joined Mar 2005
877 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=WALRUS

Here's a link

djm
mrdj is offline Find More Posts by mrdj
Old Jan 18, 2006, 05:07 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Shaky

The Walrus was also used for rescuing ditched aircrew and I'm sure that to them it was the most beautiful sight as it landed to pick them up from the freezing water

There used to be a nice Walrus plan in the old MAP/Argus/Nexus plans handbook - but I don't know if it's still around. Used to be a major source of model plans a few years ago. Someone on this site may have a copy of the plan if you ask around.

Here's a link to the back-issue of Flying Scale Models which had the all-foam Walrus plan
http://www.modelactivitypress.com/fs_framesetbi.htm

You might also like to look at the the sister plane to the Walrus, the Otter (also made by Supermarine) which is almost identical, except it has the engine facing front, unlike the Walrus' pusher engine.

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Jan 20, 2006, 09:46 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Fleet Air Arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron25
Shaky

The Walrus was also used for rescuing ditched aircrew and I'm sure that to them it was the most beautiful sight as it landed to pick them up from the freezing water

eve
The Shagbat as it was affectionately known and its puller cousin the Sea otter are indeed from a long serving and venerable line of Royal fleet air arm biplane ship born search and rescue Aircraft.
It terminated in the last of the breed the 2 Supermarine Seagull 381 prototypes for carrier born ops, with the arrival of helicopters sadly this last of the breed, which I have the Traplet plan for, was a variable incidence all metal monoplane powered by a single contra rotating prop powered RR Griffin motor

Ive started a resource thread over in Water planes if your interested all welcome to add to it...for free plans links etc need to get it anchored/stickied to work best.
I was over here looking for more things to link in so if you know of any good/ usefull threads Ive not found please add them.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448080
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Jan 20, 2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 09:41 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Seaplanes

I had a side view only of the Sea Otter, so the end result was so out-of-scale that I had to rename it the "She Otter (Fly)"; yet unflown, I don't expect great things from it...

I also have the Walrus/Shagbat plan for freeflight and 1cc diesel; some day maybe. Wasn't the Walrus also known as the Steam Pidgeon becasue of the water hitting the hot cylinders?
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Jan 20, 2006, 09:53 PM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,405 Posts
Also known as "The Pusser's Duck" (Pusser being RN slang for a CPO)
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi