HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2002, 03:06 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
Where's the way to the Flying field?

Hello guys,

Has this happened to you? One day, as I woke up, looked at the fleet. Watt-age Ezette, Cub 400EP, Herr Cub, Cox Cub, TigerMoth, GP Cub (in box), FBXL, and Switchback (in box). I just turned away. Usually, I spend 30 min. to an hour before work, and work with one of the plane, but now. I have lost my interest in them. I don't now why? I'm not as thrilled, as I used to be.

Has this happened to you guys? I picked up my Ezette, so I could set it up for a test flight, using new batteries, motor and GB. Now, it's just sitting in the garage.

Maybe, I'm just searching for a new thrill in flight. My Cub's has given me the flight that, I've always wanted, fast and enjoyable. The Ezette, is my crash plane, which I always fix and cuss about. The FBXL is when, I am fun flying with my nephew, the TigerMoth is when, I just need a quick fix during lunch breaks, in the park.

I have lost me way
genovia is offline Find More Posts by genovia
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2002, 04:20 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Sure it's happened! When it usually happens to me is after a particularly brutal crash. Sometimes I wouldn't touch a plane for a week or more. It's burnout, plain and simple. Don't force yourself to mess with the planes, if your heart isn't in it you will end up breaking something. Just take a break- a couple of days, a week, a month, whatever it takes. Then go out and fly one and the romance will be rekindled
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jun 11, 2002, 04:23 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
Cool, same thing as Rogerdoger suggested.

Thanks T.
genovia is offline Find More Posts by genovia
Old Jun 11, 2002, 04:41 PM
Simian Member
Minneapolis, USA
Joined Oct 2001
245 Posts
For me it's the lack of places to fly that are killing the thrill. My best field is being developed and I got narked at my local field because I didn't have a permit to "operate a motor vehicle on park grounds". I'm trying to get the permit but the park is too small anyway. I spend all my time turning.
I remember back to flying my Wedgie last winter over the frozen Lake Mille Lacs. I could let it go as far as I wanted and only had to worry about avoiding ice fishing houses.
Now everything is crowded and small.

I'm very jealous of people who have huge treeless fields!
HardLander is offline Find More Posts by HardLander
Old Jun 11, 2002, 04:57 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
Time off

genovia,

In ham radio it's called a "radio divorce." Then after about a month, it would be just as much fun as before.

Vacations are a good way to divert your attention too.

It'll work out,
Rogerdoger is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdoger
Old Jun 11, 2002, 07:50 PM
Gromit,Rebel w\o applause
oklahoma city
Joined Jul 2001
92 Posts
For me, its going to a field to fly and it loaded with kids,people walking their dogs, or a new sign saying to stay out, fields being developed,sometimes its just a long drive and back home, no flying. Then I got an IFO and just go out the back door and try to avoid the fence,trees,shed,hedge,powerlines,ect. I crash alot and climb trees every now and then but it works for me. My back yard is 45 x 65 so its tight. I still go flying the bigger, faster stuff now and then but the IFO gives a quick fix!
Jim
flyinjim is offline Find More Posts by flyinjim
Old Jun 11, 2002, 08:08 PM
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2000
2,525 Posts
genovia,

How long have you been flying? sounds like you may be getting bored of your planes because they are all trainers (practicly) and are meant to almost fly themselves. Get that switchback done

Paul
Paul Penney is offline Find More Posts by Paul Penney
Old Jun 11, 2002, 11:35 PM
Mississippi
Joined Jul 2000
756 Posts
genovia
I think Paul may be right,I lost intrest until my wife bought me a low wing plane with ailerons(crazy sparrow).I had become bored with the Tiger Moth and Sig Rascal,what a difference it made to fly something that is that responsive Build the SB
steve
cloudhopper is offline Find More Posts by cloudhopper
Old Jun 11, 2002, 11:46 PM
E-Flight Addict
Silicon Valley, CA
Joined Apr 2002
846 Posts
get a brushless to go with it and youll be back in a big way!!
smittylube is offline Find More Posts by smittylube
Old Jun 12, 2002, 12:00 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,367 Posts
Definately build the Switchback! I flew gassers up to a few years ago, then got frustrated with the fuel costs, glow plugs, mess, the hour drive to an AMA field, so I quit. Then came these small electrics. I was always looking at smaller and smaller gassers, too. So I built a Lite Stik, to have something to fly right here at home. I loved it. Then I got the Tigermoth, Escapade, and last but not least, the Switchback. That was the kicker. I can only imagine what will come next, but all I can say is that I need to hurry and finish school and go to work so my wallet can keep up with my wants (needs... LOL). Build the SB, and you'll definately regain that love for the hobby you once had. Let us know when you start.

Keith
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jun 12, 2002, 12:15 AM
Crash Site Instigator
Novato, CA USA
Joined Jan 2002
917 Posts
Yeah what they said ! I assembled a Crazy Max as my third plane. Not boring !!! It was ugly when I bought it, but it got more beautiful each time I flew it.

I did get a little "down" my last time out. I couldn't fly worth beans - dorked it in causing a little damage. Discouraged. Flew the others while it mended - now having severe aileron-withdrawal until I can take it up again...

It does seem like your planes are somewhat similar You might want to try something else different like a twin-max or floats on your TM or converting a small free-flight to RC...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=twin+max

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=1

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=42900
sheerLuck is offline Find More Posts by sheerLuck
Old Jun 12, 2002, 01:27 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Genovia, I'd have to agree with a few things... take a break for a bit, at least from certain aspects of the hobby.

On the other side of things, I'd agree with a few others that said basically that you have the cure sitting in a box at your bench: the switchback. It's the most fun flying I've had in years!
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Jun 12, 2002, 06:34 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
How about getting some fan fold or coroplast and making up one of your own designs? There is nothing more thrilling than building something that you've made up and the dang thing actually flies!!!

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Jun 12, 2002, 09:20 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Genovia, build the Switchback with caution. Once you start flying it, all the little Cubbies are going to be very lonely and jealous while they are gathering dust.

You might be bored now but you're in for a treat.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jun 12, 2002, 11:05 AM
E-Flight Addict
Silicon Valley, CA
Joined Apr 2002
846 Posts
I have to agree with everyone get the aileron planes..
I flew my first rc plane the firebird 2 for a week then ordered a ZAGI 400x without even seeing one fly. boy it was twitchy the first time I flew it but I got used to it after a few weeks.
Then I bought the wattage sukhoi and that really got my adrenalin going..

take two Ailerons- big ones and call me in the morning!
smittylube is offline Find More Posts by smittylube