Old Jan 16, 2006, 06:50 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Discussion
General Discussion

Hey there, after I realised that I've infected a number of threads with my general blabber, I decided it would probably be a good thing to start a ... well... general talk thread ... so here it is.

... first step, transplant the existing converstation from the other thread ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Aus
Thanks for the Pics Paul....the Slipso is now on my scratch build List much to my wife's disgust (It would be leathal with a 2200-3000kv brushless)....It's a pretty long list in no particular order.
Aaah, ermmm... it wasn't me Does that mean that when I make the extended version of the Slipso400 you'll be making that one too?

I've got some B20-40-15 and -18 motors here which I should try out with a slipso type airframe one day, though I worry I won't actually see it (people have told me there's this thing on the right hand side of my transmitter called a 'throttle' *huh?* - I thought that was a broken control stick, it never returns to center ).

Quote:
Oh yeah, All up pretty Impressed as this pack can do what it claims unlike a lot of cheap packs out there that don't even come close to their labeled specs.
Very very glad to hear that. This was about the smallest sample size I could order in order to test out the batteries. The factory was actually very good about it considering they normally request orders of 1000+ units at time *wow*).

Looking forward to hearing about your "over-12C" tests, I imagine the pack will warm up a bit more at least (perhaps you should wait till winter, then it'll make a nice hand-warmer ).

Paul.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2006, 09:01 AM
N00b Sloper Addict
Australia, TAS, Brighton
Joined Dec 2005
1,438 Posts
Sorry to change the topic Paul, But what is the legal Feq now? Last time I was in the sport it was 27.XXXmHz. Has it changed or something. Did I miss out on too much?? Also what the hell is 3D I have heard of it so many times, but i got no idea what it is. :S Please educate the uneducated.................................. No really, tell me, please I wanna know
Parkflyer81 is offline Find More Posts by Parkflyer81
Old Jan 16, 2006, 09:17 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Parkflyer -

Oh gosh, you better sit down - a lot has changed.

1. Legal/common frequency is now 36MHz FM/PPM/PCM, we also still can use 29MHz AM and some 27MHz and 40MHz spot frequencies (though not used for much other than toys).

2. 3D flying is basically taking a plane, giving it HUGE moving surfaces (ailerons, elevator, rudder) and a powerful motor such that the thrust-to-weight ratio is greater than 1. With those abilities, you can hover the plane (prop hang) on demand, the huge surfaces are required so that you can still get a level of deflection purely from the prop-wash.

3.... added for your own sake --- electric flight is -very- popular now Brushless motors and lipo batteries are the king.

... ask anything else ?

Paul.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 06:33 PM
N00b Sloper Addict
Australia, TAS, Brighton
Joined Dec 2005
1,438 Posts
OMG - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO................................... .... Electric flight is popular???? when did that happen??? Has the world gone crazy????? I was always told electric was on for kids.

Just kidding, I can see why though, its alot quieter and can be flown in residential areas (providing the area is big enough). Damn Now i need to buy new TX/RX gear.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 06:43 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
ParkFlyer,

Aaaaah, such is the trauma of progress. For me, it's delightful, I've been trying to fly electric the last 15 years and it's finally becoming /really/ practical (for up to .30~.40 size replacements - beyond that there's still a lot of cost involved with the batteries).

Yes, it would be advisable to get a new batch of TX/RX gear - of course, it depends on what you're thinking you want to get into again as to what gear to buy. I'm not even going to begin to tell you what TX/RX gear to get - it's just asking for a religious war amongst everyone else here , needless to say JR, Futaba, Hitec all produce some pretty good sets now.

Paul.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 07:08 AM
N00b Sloper Addict
Australia, TAS, Brighton
Joined Dec 2005
1,438 Posts
PLDANIELS,

Mate did i see this right in your shop, /www.pldaniels.com/rcshop/ , GWTXS001JBLKM1 for $69.00 ??? Is there a zero missing somewhere, If thats the case, I may need you to hook me up with one soon. Don't spose you could me what there like?

Thanks mate.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 07:25 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Parkflyer,

No no, that's quite correct. They're good transmitters for simple park-flying and training on the computer with. However if you want something that you can really expand with then you need things like a JR-2610 (6 channels, 2 flight modes [air/heli], 10 model memories).

The GWS 6ch TX is a /simple/ transmitter. Aside from trims and channel reversal (2 position LG switch and 3 position flap switch) it has nothing else. No expo rates, no dual rates, no travel-volume adjustments. That said, I've bought 3 of them for myself and given two of them to my family members, they're a great little TX for fun planes.

Paul.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 07:26 AM
Dream,Build, Make it FLY
Frankston,Victoria,Australia
Joined Jun 2005
177 Posts
Quote:
Does that mean that when I make the extended version of the Slipso400 you'll be making that one too?
Well I generally up size everything I scratch build to at least 40" span or slightly bigger. Almost finished a MiniTelemaster from a plan I up sized from 38"to 45"(Because I saw that HobbyLobby are selling the 45" version and liked it)
So Um yes... ..I"ll skip a size and go bigger.
I can't afford to get all the gear for each plane so I usually gut one plane to serve another. The Plane I'm using to torture the 2S 2200 is getting boring so that 400 sized brushless would be what I'll use. I can still call it a Slipso400 then.. or maybe the Slipso400+.

Quote:
(people have told me there's this thing on the right hand side of my transmitter called a 'throttle' *huh?* - I thought that was a broken control stick, it never returns to center ).
I'm pretty sure that's just a Myth.. I've been with newbies and there nice new Parky that's Mildly out of control and me standing next to them screaming THROTLE OFF,THROTLE OFF only to hear the reply ,Throtle ?

Mark
Mark in Aus is offline Find More Posts by Mark in Aus
Old Jan 20, 2006, 05:32 PM
N00b Sloper Addict
Australia, TAS, Brighton
Joined Dec 2005
1,438 Posts
Anyone,

Dumb question, could you put a 36.xxx mhz crystal in a 27.xxxmhz radio, and would it still work?? I only ask cause I really dont want to outlay for new radio, since I'm flying on a budget.

Phill
Old Jan 20, 2006, 08:14 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Phil,

Quite simply, no.

Two reasons -

1) 27Mhz and 36MHz are too far separated, if you put the crystal in there it would operate extremely poorly

2) 27MHz typically use AM, 36MHz sets use FM, just isn't going to work.

Paul.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 09:36 PM
N00b Sloper Addict
Australia, TAS, Brighton
Joined Dec 2005
1,438 Posts
Cheers Paul,

I got myself a simple 400 today, to crash and burn, i mean learn. Nice little plane, gonna start on electirc, then when I got some bickies convert it to gas and learn all over again. What would you recomend, in a six channel radio and micro rx?? If you've got in stock and at the right price, I may just have to get one off you.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 10:00 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Parkflyer81,

Sadly - bad news, unless you want a pink transmitter I have no more in stock (yes, they sell very fast).

The Simple400 is quite a /fast/ plane, be aware of that - there's reports of people getting 160km/hr out of them, though with a stock sp400 + 2S lipo you'll get more like 90~100km/hr.

Paul.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 10:02 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Parkflyer81,

I forgot to say, I do have servos and receivers in stock of course.

I've also got some 8ch full range receivers coming in next week.

Paul.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 10:14 PM
N00b Sloper Addict
Australia, TAS, Brighton
Joined Dec 2005
1,438 Posts
Holy crap, I was only gonna put in a 380 motor with 1000 pack in there aswell. I'm was kinda aware that it would move, but I think I'll put in a 360 or a 400 geared down. What do you think?

The wife loves the idea of a pink TX, but I told her I would get one for her next month, for her to learn with.

Cheers Phill
Old Jan 20, 2006, 10:35 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,397 Posts
Phill,

Perhaps you should get the pink one and secretly learn with it under the guise of "It's for my wife" Incidently, the pink ones I have are both on ch607.

As for the Simple400, don't expect to be able to slow it down too much else it will fall out of the sky

I must admit, I went through a similar experience when I re-started the hobby a few years ago, bought myself a Wattage Hawk, absolute SCREAMER of a plane for a 380 brushed - needless to say I didn't fly it first, instead I made myself a small trainer called the "EasyBox-II". The Easybox-II + 150 motor + 2S800mA lipo pack = enjoyable re-learning.

Paul.