HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2006, 06:00 AM
Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
53 Posts
Help!
Advice on my first Sailplane

Lookinig for a bit of advice on my first sailplane. Outline of my requirements are as follows:

1. 2 channel R/E
2. 2 to 3 metre (up to 118")
3. ARF (I know - I know; I'd rather build from a kit but with a young family and probably moving house this year I don't have time to build)
4. Good for learning how to thermal in flat field site
5. Hi start launches
6. Good cockpit room (allow for eagle tree system)

I think that's it. I was looking at Dynaflight's Bird of Time ARF but it seems to be very heavy compared with the kit version (1700g vs 1150g) with about a 40% increase in wing loading. Is this a good one to go for or should I go for a 2m sailplane?

Also if I went for the heavy duty hi start could this be used with the lighter sailplanes that the normal hi start is designed for?
gaelic_flyer is offline Find More Posts by gaelic_flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2006, 07:42 AM
Israel
Joined Jul 2004
156 Posts
Go for the GP Spirit 100...
That was my first sailplane and I enjoyed every moment of flying it...
You can learn a lot with the Spirit 100 and it thermals great!
Kalim3ro is offline Find More Posts by Kalim3ro
Old Jan 16, 2006, 07:41 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2003
1,317 Posts
Friends don't let friends fly 2 meter....

Bigger is better up to 3 meter. You can see it better, and is easier to control in varying weather, in my opinion.

AJ
solo6796 is offline Find More Posts by solo6796
Old Jan 17, 2006, 01:24 AM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,138 Posts
I like 2 meter planes!!! It just depends on the design on how well it handles. Polyhedrals are really easy to fly and learn with.
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old Jan 17, 2006, 07:40 AM
Orlando
Joined Sep 2004
458 Posts
gaelic_flyer ,

I wouldn't disagree with the Spirit 100 but think you should also look at the Gentle Lady. Pick one that you like to look at in the sky and get on with learning your flying skills!

There are a lot of good reasons to like a 2 meter airplane. The quote about "friends not letting friends" is just a cute phrase not a valid arguement.

Have fun!

Rick
ThermalBuster is offline Find More Posts by ThermalBuster
Old Jan 17, 2006, 09:41 AM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo6796
Friends don't let friends fly 2 meter....

Bigger is better up to 3 meter. You can see it better, and is easier to control in varying weather, in my opinion.

AJ
I have been flying an Allegro Lite for about 9 months now. I really like it. Perhaps the quote should be friends don't let friends fly a crappy 2 meter.....

You are right though on at least one thing, a bigger plane is easier to see and can range further (unless you have super eyes).

But, a 2 meter is about half the price of raw materials, easier to handle on the ground, and often takes up less storage space.

Everything in life is a trade off.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:27 AM
Dublin, Ireland
Joined Mar 2002
452 Posts
There is one Dynaflyte Butterfly left in the January sale in Green Hobby & Model, in Dublin, at 50%.
tel 01 4928776
Norman Greene is offline Find More Posts by Norman Greene
Old Jan 17, 2006, 08:40 PM
Silent flyer
Charlottesville, VA
Joined Jul 2004
14 Posts
I bought the BOT ARF last year and have never regretted it. It is a magnificent plane in the air and flies extremely well. There are only 2 negatives, the servo mount in the tail (install a bell crank instead for increased throw) and the covering, the white covering on the wing bottom is extremely difficult to see at altitude. Both are easily fixed, however, and the resulting plane is a beauty that will handle heavy duty high start launches. I flew mine all summer and fall and this winter replaced the covering with transparent red (Ultracover Lite, try it, you'll love it!) and put in spoilers (article in October 2005 Quiet Flyer). Landings are now easier than ever and it's also easy to see at altitude.

Having said that I will say that I actually learned to thermal on a built up Gentle Lady. I launched it for 6 months on a large NE Sail high start (the same one that I fly my BOT off of now) and it held up just fine. Note that this was a built up plane I bought off of Ebay for $40, not the ARF. The GL doesn't like the wind but on a calm day it'll catch light thermals and stay up a long time if you're capable. I learned a lot by flying it, not only about thermals but about landing.

My recommendation would be to buy both an inexpensive 2 meter ship (to learn on) and a BOT ARF. When you can regularly keep the 2 meter up for 5-7 minutes off of a high start lauch and can land it about where you want then get out the 3 meter bird and have a ball.
mdiley is offline Find More Posts by mdiley
Old Jan 21, 2006, 09:31 AM
Just here to fly stuff
Everywhere
Joined Dec 2005
421 Posts
I would recommend the Spirit ARF. It was quick to assemble, 4 hours, and is a very tough plane. It is also forgiving. Also, it takes modification well (servo relocation, spoiler servo or servos, etc)
I got one and then added a JR Sport radio to it. For the price you can not beat it. I recently got a Spirit Elite ARF (more control surfaces), and some day might get the Spirit 100 ARF. But for a first glider, the Spirit ARF was great. Mine thermals well, launches with a high start or winch (be careful) and can take a beating. With this being my first glider (started with electrics) it has experieced a few rough landings and flights (includes the nose breaking off after a stall) and is not as pretty to look at as it used to be. But, I have learned a lot from it and it keeps going.
LeadSled is offline Find More Posts by LeadSled
Old Jan 21, 2006, 12:02 PM
Denton, TX
Joined Dec 2002
569 Posts
I'd do the BOT arf compaired to the others. At $139 you can't beat it. You get the most important thing... a whole lot of wing to put in the air. It certainly will be able to fly in a broader range of conditions than a Spirit or GL. You just can't get around the rule.. "Bigger flies better". You will need to go with a bit stronger Hi-start than a Dynaflight though.. NES L should do fine.
JS
wingsnapper is offline Find More Posts by wingsnapper
Old Jan 21, 2006, 12:10 PM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,020 Posts
Olympic Ii

AT THE PRESENT TO MY KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THE BEST TRAINER OUT THERE IS THE OLYMPIC II, SKYBENCH AERO IS OR WILL BE PRODUCING ARF OR ARC OLY II'S THESE ARE 100 " OF PURE DEE GAS BAGGERS. CHECK IT OUT AT WWW.SKYBENCH.COM. WHAT EVER YOU CHOOSE FROM THE PREVIOUS YOU CAN'T GO WRONG....

BEST REGARDS,

W.SHAW
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old Jan 21, 2006, 12:48 PM
Dublin, Ireland
Joined Mar 2002
452 Posts
Sailplanes & Slope Soaring in Ireland

Gaelic Flier
I see you are in Ireland - I and my friends fly in Ireland. We are on the East Coast.
If you are in the area, why not come out with us and try a few minutes on our models?
Then you can decide which you prefer.
If you are interested send me a PM, because without prior notice I might turn up with aerobatic models only. But most days I would bring 4 or 5 models with me, and likewise the rest of us.
We will be flying tomorrow morning on Dublin/Wicklow slopes - if that's any help.
Or most other weekends when weather is reasonable.
Norman
my web pages: norm_flyer
Dundalk to Dublin & Wicklow to Wexford Slope Soaring Info Here
more info on soaring in Ireland here
Norman Greene is offline Find More Posts by Norman Greene
Last edited by Norman Greene; Jan 23, 2006 at 03:06 AM.