Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 15, 2006, 08:18 PM
fortune favours the bold
Vancouver Boundary, Canada
Joined Dec 2001
367 Posts
Idea
Home-brew generator

Having killed my last lead-acid battery for charging at the field, I have been forced to considered a generator. However spending $700-$800 for those spiffy honda units is a bit much. Plus, you must still use a 12vdc power supply with the generator to convert the 120AC the generator outputs. More crap to haul along.
So I thought I could construct my own field power generator that can output 12V at 50 amps or so, more than enough for any chargers needs. I would use a small ND automotive alternator powered by some small yard machine derived engine that I havent pinned down yet.
My question is what will the average charger think of the quality of the power coming out of that alternator. I seem to remember the schulze chargers warn against using them with even a power supply, battery only.
Would a couple of beer can size capacitors be enough to smooth out the ripple ?

Greg
gjestico is offline Find More Posts by gjestico
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2006, 08:36 PM
USA, CO, Lakewood
Joined Sep 2002
835 Posts
Hi Greg;
I while back I thought about taking a small engined lawn mower, toss the blade, slap on a pully and mount a generator with it's shaft verrticle on the top of the deck with the pully underneath. a small pb battery also mounted on the deck would also make the DC palatable for even the most finiky chargers. Plus, it's already on wheels.( Maybe even self propelled!!!!)

Joe
JoeSantora is offline Find More Posts by JoeSantora
Old Jan 15, 2006, 08:47 PM
Joined Nov 2004
29 Posts
http://theepicenter.com/tow082099.html
Slowroll90 is offline Find More Posts by Slowroll90
Old Jan 15, 2006, 08:59 PM
USA, CO, Lakewood
Joined Sep 2002
835 Posts
LOL!! That'll do it!!
JoeSantora is offline Find More Posts by JoeSantora
Old Jan 16, 2006, 07:36 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,548 Posts
Most of us have a car,truck,SUV which we drive to the flying site. These come equiped with a similiar such power generating device. These also work very well for re-charging lead acid batteries.

Very interesting article however. I still believe a Golf or Club Cart is the way to go.

There are some very low cost power plants available. Not sure of quality but the price(s) are right. A 1000 watt for around $200 delivered.

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/brow...E677CD&DL=IVS1

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jan 16, 2006 at 08:19 AM.