HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:06 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,546 Posts
Discussion
What's in a name or let's play the name game.

I am sure many wil be receiving the same email . It starts with

Quote:
We are now stocking the Hyperion 20C product.

For those of you that don't know this product is the exact same product as PolyQuest's 20c product.
Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2006, 07:26 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
yup. I got one too

So?
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jan 15, 2006, 07:44 PM
Master and Commander
Bedford, Tx
Joined May 2004
234 Posts
Got one too
Julian537 is offline Find More Posts by Julian537
Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:05 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
yup. I got one too

So?
Well if PQ 20C,Hyperion 20C,IMPULSE 20C are indeed in fact all the same cells how will one be able to decide on which brand to purchase?

The decision to purchase a 13C,15C or 20C is often confusing enough.

Charles
Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:22 PM
CHICAGO
Joined Feb 2004
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
Well if PQ 20C,Hyperion 20C,IMPULSE 20C are indeed in fact all the same cells how will one be able to decide on which brand to purchase?

Charles
Brand loyalty is a dificult habit to break. The warm feeling of piece-of-mind is very addictive.

For example I own a Ford and will never buy a Chevy (even though they may have same performance). But sure as hell I would drive one if someone offered it at 1/2 price

Dan
TrueRC
supi7 is offline Find More Posts by supi7
Old Jan 16, 2006, 05:18 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
Quote:
Whichever one comes cheapest from a source you trust most. I jave NO brand loyalty anymore. I've seen brands 'burned down' my voracious bean counters again and again..

Quote:

Charles
Thats why you are here Charles..

To help us decide.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jan 16, 2006, 07:25 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
Whichever one comes cheapest from a source you trust most. I jave NO brand loyalty anymore. I've seen brands 'burned down' my voracious bean counters again and again..

Thats why you are here Charles..

To help us decide.
Thing is often you can purchase the different brands fron the same source so the service is the same . Most of the time the price is within 5% so to me is a toss.

When t comes to me testing 20C LiPolys I dun--------no. Te only ones I have ever purchased were expensive , heavy, growsly over rated and have set in storage for the past year or so. I have many of these with less than 20 discharges on them and close to a year ago offered to sell these here on RC G for 1/2 price and had no takers.( would give them to a local starting out but do not want to be responsible for ruining a newbie's first experiences with electrics.

I read here on RC G somewhere about using two 10C packs in parallel instead of a single 20C one ,perhaps you remember the Thread best I remember it was started by someone named Vinnie , I believe?

Charles
Old Jan 16, 2006, 08:27 AM
Suspended Account
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Dec 2000
4,072 Posts
Just because they use the same cells, does not meen the packs will be identical in performance.

- how the cells are welded/soldered
- matched hand picked cells with equal IR?
- good strict quality control
- gauge of wiring used for power leads
- gauge of wiring used for tap leads
- if the pack even has taps
- cell seperation for cooling
- use of a pcb board for interconnects or direct connection
- packaging thick/thin/light/heavy
- warranty if any
- customer service
- in stock and fast shipping

I could go on for awile but you should get the point........ oh yeah probably the most important of all.......

Does the vendor pay for a large group of high profile flyers to use it's cells and generate a lot of good anecdotial information of how they are the best battery ever made!!!!!.....

Brad
bradpaul is offline Find More Posts by bradpaul
Last edited by bradpaul; Jan 16, 2006 at 11:15 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 16, 2006, 11:39 AM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Wait I thought that vendors supplied the world class F3A and F3B fliers with their cells and thus they must be the best in the world.

Critical thinking would prove otherwise....
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Jan 16, 2006, 01:37 PM
Brit in NZ
NZ
Joined Sep 2005
508 Posts
Quote:
More confusing than that Charles: I would almost state that the Impulse packs are not the Enerland product at all! (but it gets very confusing and I'm trying to get to the bottom of it)

If you compare the discharge curves in the vault they seem very different shapes and thermal behaviour - In fact the indications are that they might be a 'new' range of Kokam cells from tell-tales on the PCB and the cell series numbers.

Having said that I've also just got a pack from a 'new' Saehan cell range that no-one seems to be aware of yet - more later.

Rod
RC-Tester is offline Find More Posts by RC-Tester
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:22 AM
Edison, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supi7
Brand loyalty is a dificult habit to break. The warm feeling of piece-of-mind is very addictive.

For example I own a Ford and will never buy a Chevy (even though they may have same performance). But sure as hell I would drive one if someone offered it at 1/2 price

Dan
TrueRC
Where can you get a Ford with the "same performance" as a Chevy? Chevys will always outperform a Ford! Back on subject; I didn't get this e mail your talking about. My current favorite brand is Electric Power from xus hobbies. I also don't need 20c discharge yet.
grouchy1 is offline Find More Posts by grouchy1