HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2006, 08:01 PM
lower Michigan-utica
Joined Dec 2005
286 Posts
Discussion
micro ultrix biplane

Well, seems to be a shortage of aero-aces around here ( wonder why), but I picked up this flyzone 'micro ultrix bipe'. Bit bigger than aero ace, -13" span, has a seperate charging pack, twin sticks- well, different. going to try to fly on the first good day. Any one know anything about these?
widgeteer is offline Find More Posts by widgeteer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2006, 11:46 PM
Joplin, Mo.
Joined Feb 2004
1,062 Posts
i haven't heard anything about them. all my google searches turned up sites just describing it. i did see that someone, maybe tower hobbies, sells spare tails, wings and props for it. let us know how yours flys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by widgeteer
Well, seems to be a shortage of aero-aces around here ( wonder why), but I picked up this flyzone 'micro ultrix bipe'. Bit bigger than aero ace, -13" span, has a seperate charging pack, twin sticks- well, different. going to try to fly on the first good day. Any one know anything about these?
tom63 is offline Find More Posts by tom63
Old Jan 15, 2006, 09:56 AM
RIP Sheba :(
Brentwood, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,123 Posts
My neighbor bought 2 of them for his kids at Christmas because he also couldn't find any Aeroaces.

In the stock form, they're a little underpowered, don't have a very long flight time and not nearly as durable as the Aeroace. The foam wings crack easily, but fixable.

If you cut the lower wing tips off from the struts out (same mods that help the Aeroace) the Ultrix flies VERY well. Even though the flight times are pretty short compared to the Aeroace, it charges quicker (I think around 10 - 15min charge time) due to LIMH battery I believe. Another mod would be to replace the battery with a lipo.

Rob
Robster is offline Find More Posts by Robster
Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:19 PM
Joplin, Mo.
Joined Feb 2004
1,062 Posts
hi rob,
good to hear they fly, i've gone through a few 2 ch planes that didn't fly at all and a couple that flew pretty good after a couple of mods. is the battery sealed inside the plane like with the aeroace or is it removeable? if it comes out how many cells does it have or what is it's voltage?
thanks,
tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster
My neighbor bought 2 of them for his kids at Christmas because he also couldn't find any Aeroaces.

In the stock form, they're a little underpowered, don't have a very long flight time and not nearly as durable as the Aeroace. The foam wings crack easily, but fixable.

If you cut the lower wing tips off from the struts out (same mods that help the Aeroace) the Ultrix flies VERY well. Even though the flight times are pretty short compared to the Aeroace, it charges quicker (I think around 10 - 15min charge time) due to LIMH battery I believe. Another mod would be to replace the battery with a lipo.

Rob
Old Jan 15, 2006, 03:26 PM
lower Michigan-utica
Joined Dec 2005
286 Posts
The wings are attached to the fuse with screws, and the struts holding the motors are made of plastic, and attached to the upper and lower wings with plastic push pins imbedded in the wings, using a plastic piece under and on top of the wings. To get into the body of the fuse., the screws come off easily (tiny, and sharp) but the struts are held on quite robustly by the push pins into the struts. Like to take a peek inside, and am trying the 'subtle application of brute force', short of destruction method. Don't want to bugger it up, probably end up flying it until something breaks, then do an 'autopsy'. Came with two spare props, and a 'ribbon'. Freq flag?
Luckily, the LHS, Prop Shop, sells spare props. Just bought some. Going to apply a strip of shipping tape to the leading edges, for strength, and trim off the outer panels of the lower wing. Carbon tail boom. I'll bet there is a lot of the fuse. that can be 'sculped', to lighten it even more.
Waiting for a 'good' day to come along.
Last edited by widgeteer; Jan 15, 2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 03:48 PM
lower Michigan-utica
Joined Dec 2005
286 Posts
Well, the wings are attached to the body of the fuse. with screws. But in order to get at the guts, one has to unattach the struts- that also hold the motors- from the wings. Struts are held on rather robustly by push pins, imbedded in the wings, from underneath the lower and on top of the upper wings. I am trying the ' subtle application of brute force, short of destruction', method. Don't want to bugger it up, so I'll probably fly it until something breaks, then do an 'autopsy'. Carbon tail boom. Two spare props. Looks like some foam can be sculpted from the body of the fuse. to lighten it up even more
Waiting for a 'good' day.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 03:50 PM
lower Michigan-utica
Joined Dec 2005
286 Posts
Sorry about the double hit- I got confused ( I'm an old crock, don't you know)
Old Jan 15, 2006, 03:53 PM
Joplin, Mo.
Joined Feb 2004
1,062 Posts
i've had a couple of 2 ch planes that just flew so so out of the box but i found that by putting one more cell of the same size in series with the stock pack made them fun flyers. not enough extra voltage to harm the electronics but enough to run the motors faster for better performance.
these small motors run at a fast rpm and the brass busings for the armature gets hot and dries out. then then they bind enough to slow the motor and eventually ruin it. a drop of non detergent motor oil will keep then running a long time.

Quote:
The wings are attached to the fuse with screws, and the struts holding the motors are made of plastic, and attached to the upper and lower wings with plastic push pins imbedded in the wings, using a plastic piece under and on top of the wings. To get into the body of the fuse., the screws come off easily (tiny, and sharp) but the struts are held on quite robustly by the push pins into the struts. Like to take a peek inside, and am trying the 'subtle application of brute force', short of destruction method. Don't want to bugger it up, probably end up flying it until something breaks, then do an 'autopsy'. Came with two spare props, and a 'ribbon'. Freq flag?
Luckily, the LHS, Prop Shop, sells spare props. Just bought some. Going to apply a strip of shipping tape to the leading edges, for strength, and trim off the outer panels of the lower wing. Carbon tail boom. I'll bet there is a lot of the fuse. that can be 'sculped', to lighten it even more.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 04:17 PM
Joplin, Mo.
Joined Feb 2004
1,062 Posts
you're lucky, or i'm unlucky however you look at it. the lhs here that has been around for years is owned and run by people who absolutely despise electric planes. they believe if it isn't gas powered, huge and weighing several pounds it's just a toy. they don't want them in the air. one guy found out that i fly electrics in a lot behind my house that he figured is five miles from the field they use. he came right out and ordered me to stop flying my 3 channel planes there. he said he didn't want to lose a $2000 plane because of radio interference from my toy plane.
the newer shop has friendly people but so far they are only selling a couple of larger electric planes. i have to buy everything online.

Quote:
Old Jan 18, 2006, 01:06 PM
Are you one of these
loveland colorado
Joined Nov 2003
399 Posts
My question is several of the Airhogs work different than the Aero Ace, when you turn on the transmitter the motors start running and always run till you turn the transmitter off, all you do is vary the amount of thurst, this is not good. I wanted another micro plane to fly while my Aero Ace is charging. To make a short story long does anybody know if the Ultrix Biplane works like this, throttle always on, the video on the flyzone website gives no clue, and the online instructions don't give any definitive answer either
rcboatnut is offline Find More Posts by rcboatnut
Old Jan 18, 2006, 03:51 PM
lower Michigan-utica
Joined Dec 2005
286 Posts
No, sir, the Ultrix Bipe motors do not start until one moves the stick forward. Both sticks are spring-loaded to return to centre.
Tom63, good show on the extra 'juice' for better operations. Yes, I believe that you are correct in that a 'little' oil will not hurt. As in 'use a thin toothpick' to apply the lube, just touch the bearings. On the ultra bipe, I see that the motor 'cowl' -that probably holds the motor in place, also- has two plastic 'snaps'. Gotta be careful, in order to use them over. Or some two sided foam tape or squares will work th hold them in. I have found that 'Michaels' craft shop has some of it, and reasonable. I got two sets of punches there. The smallest is 2mm. I see all of those 'home made' gear reduction units, I figure they will be use-full there. With a suitable bushing. ( or sheave, depending where you live)
Snow to-day; still waiting for some good wheather. Heard a rumour that a local golf dome is renting out time to those nutty guys that play with toy airplanes. ( snigger- snigger)
Old Jan 18, 2006, 04:08 PM
Joined Apr 2005
239 Posts
I have posted this somewhere else but I forget where so I will put it here again. The SS motors have the same shaft diameter as the micro ultrix so The blue motor may well be the upgrade you folk are looking for. I found the blue motors for like 50 cents at one TRU so if you look, you may get two motors for a buck! Hope someone tries this as I am eger learn if it actually works better thatn the stock motors. Thrust test anyone?
Hotflyer is offline Find More Posts by Hotflyer
Old Jan 18, 2006, 04:23 PM
Joplin, Mo.
Joined Feb 2004
1,062 Posts
i started oiling motors back when i had some planes using n20 motors. they are one size larger than the ones in the ss. at first i used a tooth pick just like you say to. then i found that walgreens will sell empty syringes. i bought a couple and filed the point off so the oil comes out the tip rather then the side of it. they make it handy to get down to the shaft without getting oil all over the place.

Quote:
No, sir, the Ultrix Bipe motors do not start until one moves the stick forward. Both sticks are spring-loaded to return to centre.
Tom63, good show on the extra 'juice' for better operations. Yes, I believe that you are correct in that a 'little' oil will not hurt. As in 'use a thin toothpick' to apply the lube, just touch the bearings. On the ultra bipe, I see that the motor 'cowl' -that probably holds the motor in place, also- has two plastic 'snaps'. Gotta be careful, in order to use them over. Or some two sided foam tape or squares will work th hold them in. I have found that 'Michaels' craft shop has some of it, and reasonable. I got two sets of punches there. The smallest is 2mm. I see all of those 'home made' gear reduction units, I figure they will be use-full there. With a suitable bushing. ( or sheave, depending where you live)
Snow to-day; still waiting for some good wheather. Heard a rumour that a local golf dome is renting out time to those nutty guys that play with toy airplanes. ( snigger- snigger)
Old Jan 18, 2006, 08:07 PM
lower Michigan-utica
Joined Dec 2005
286 Posts
Blast! wouldn't you know it, the TRU here only had the red and orange motors. Close-out, .50. Bought a number, one can never tell.
Yes indeed, diabetics buy them by the box ( bag? ). Excellent lube devices.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 09:28 PM
lower Michigan-utica
Joined Dec 2005
286 Posts
Sounds like you-all have been doing some creative playing.
Cut up a few foam plates- ordered some parts from BSDMicro-Hi Jenelle-got a plan off a site from one of the vendors- that is, an Earl Stahl plan- of a Vultee XP-54-twin boom, rear engine ( single ),OOOO, nice. Kinda looks like the Saab 21- same planform. Foam city!! My ultrix is ready for a transplant, and my AA is ,too. Go Dude!!- I just did an insulation job, got lots of pink foam pieces- and a snake head dremel. Duct taped a vacuum hose to my work area, using a music stand....Gonna grind, baby! News at 5.....