HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2002, 10:18 PM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
Poor Man's Heat Shrink for Homemade Battery Packs...

I'm sure this has already been thought of and done but just in case... Cut the end off of a small balloon and simply stretch it around the pack letting the connector fit out through the hole. It's an excellant rubber insulator and weighs hardly nothing.

BTW, don't try to heat up the balloon because it won't shrink. It'll be tight enough just by stretching it on.

Is there any body else out there using anything other than real heat shrink for covering and insulating their battery packs? If so, what is it?

,Lewis
flytowner is offline Find More Posts by flytowner
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2002, 01:05 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,801 Posts
I just leave the ends off the packs so air can flow threw it. That is if the packs need cooling for the little buggers!

Another hint is to not use to much hot glue on the packs, just alittle CA. All the glue acks like an blanket
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jun 11, 2002, 07:41 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi FT, looks like a good idea for batteries. I use the same for the receiver in my boats for waterproofing.

Here's what happens when you don't guess the length right.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jun 11, 2002, 10:07 AM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
Leaving the batteries and connections exposed is ideal for cooling but probably not a good idea if you like to keep a few packs in your pocket. I heard one time that a guy had a few exposed battery packs in his pocket and somehow two of the packs shorted causing his pocket to catch on fire!

I don't know about you but, I don't even want the remote possibility of a fire or spark that close to the goods!

Be careful!
Old Jun 11, 2002, 10:12 AM
Turbines suck ;-)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2000
1,636 Posts
heat shrink

Soda pop bottles shrink quite nicely! I use them to make canopies but this thread just gave me the idea of shrinking them onto battery packs!
rorywquin is offline Find More Posts by rorywquin
Old Jun 11, 2002, 10:14 AM
jlk
Lifetime Beginner
Chicago & Tucson
Joined Sep 2001
638 Posts
Do not leave the ends open in a pack! I have had an incident where I had several packs with the ends open for cooling in my flight box. The box got tipped over and a metal box of barrel fuses fell across the ends of one of the battery packs. You don't what to see the enegy in one of these packs in this fashion. Be safe, cover all exposed ends of your batteries.

Jordan
jlk is offline Find More Posts by jlk
Old Jun 11, 2002, 10:39 AM
(Batteries not included.)
Mesa AZ
Joined Jun 2001
655 Posts
I use clear or colored packing tape on many packs. It's readily available, thin or multilayers thick and it shrinks nicely with a heat gun. It's not pretty, but it works.
Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft
Old Jun 11, 2002, 10:49 AM
USA, IN, Greenwood
Joined May 2002
342 Posts
I've used monocote. Just alittle heat will hold a short length of covering in a "loop". Shrink it around the "business ends of the battery, leaving the "barrel" open to air. Eay to trim excess, tough stuff too, and lighter than most heat srink products. I also use this to secure sevo connections in covered wings, just alittle security.
I had i single lithium camera battery short out in a pocket full of change once....LESSON LEARNED!
mcrabby311 is offline Find More Posts by mcrabby311
Old Jun 11, 2002, 11:00 AM
Electrocuted
SW Louisiana
Joined Jun 2002
241 Posts
I read on a thread somewhere that 3M clear packing tape wiil shrink down. This would be very lite.
RC_AVIGATOR is online now Find More Posts by RC_AVIGATOR
Old Jun 11, 2002, 11:03 AM
Electrocuted
SW Louisiana
Joined Jun 2002
241 Posts
Monocote sounds great - have to give it a try - maybe Ultra cote plus (self adhesive)
RC_AVIGATOR is online now Find More Posts by RC_AVIGATOR
Old Jun 11, 2002, 11:38 AM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
So here's what we have so far:
Balloons, Nothing, Soda Pop Bottles, Packing Tape, Monokote, and Ultra Cote.

I think I like the Monokote idea the best so far because, it seems like it would most likely resemble real heat shrink, be tighter and thinner for good cooling.

For the record, I did try some Solite before the balloon idea and it was just too dang thin.

I wonder if anyone is using anything else for insulating these packs?
Old Jun 11, 2002, 12:04 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
I held 3 Tadiran Li Metal cells together with scotch tape and wrapped them in Superfabric like a present to match the covering on my Bleriot. Small pieces of foam (not shown) hold the battery in. It's built to eject in a crash.

BC,
I still haven't flown it yet. I took the TM out Sun and had 4 flights with no damage so I think I'm ready. As soon as school is out I can use my field any day I want. They fenced in the big field. Now I have to fly in the parking lot and dodge the light poles. .
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
Old Jun 11, 2002, 12:09 PM
Crash and Build
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Oct 2001
2,142 Posts
What a georgeous plane...please post more pics and details, I like the landing gear. I would love to here some building details.
dpoles is offline Find More Posts by dpoles
Old Jun 11, 2002, 12:18 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi RB, you knew I was going to ask. Glad to hear the maiden is getting close. Sorry to hear about your bigger flying site.

Your Bleriot is really a beautifully done airplane, I'm sure it'll fly as perfectly as it looks.

How is the Antoinette coming along? I'm planning to start a MM Cessna 180 soon.

BC
Old Jun 11, 2002, 12:22 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
I'm not sure if it's causing confusion or not, but in the pick of my battery pack above it does have clear shrink wrap on it. You can see by the excess that's wrinkled on the ends because I didn't estimate the length of the wrap correctly before shrinking it.

Sorry for not explaining the picture better originally.

BC