HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:48 PM
babelbird
Sacramento, Ca
Joined Jan 2006
9 Posts
Help!
SS Rear fin replacement?

I just recently started flying and this is my first plane. In my haste, I just used the included adhesive for the rear fin and the first crash it just folded and weaked the adhesive. I then decided to use the included screw and plate, and as you can probably guess, without the adhesive support it just tore right off. I went to the LHS and got this balsa wood for a new fin/rudder.

Either there was a problem with the batteries on the Tx (now showing 2/3 LEDs) or the rudder is too small and the cutouts are a bad idea. The plane was sluggish taking off and flying, and I could barely turn right. But perhaps the hard turning might be a bent fuse? I brought her down a bit too hard and it just broke with the grain above the plate.

I've been thinking about what to do next and I could use some advice. I've seen the posts about kite string or dental floss and that sounds like a good idea. I could try the grain going vertical, and I could have just the fin be balsa and salvage the foam rudder. Has anyone used foam from a craft store? I suppose I could just buy a new SS and use the parts from that, but I like the idea of custom part replacements.

Also, do you guys replace the batteries as soon as you see a drop in the meter? I'm using 8 AA's in a JR400.
babelbird is offline Find More Posts by babelbird
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:19 PM
All posts Copyright '07
Joined Sep 2004
1,004 Posts
I replaced mine once with 6mm depron. Just traced the old one and cut with xacto. Add a small piece of carbon from the rudder to the elevator. Poke through the foam and CA when its all lined up. Adds strength.

If you don't have depron, buy a piece of foam board and strip the paper..its close to the same material.
TrappedinNM is offline Find More Posts by TrappedinNM
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:24 PM
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!!
Knoxville Tyson, Tennesse, United States
Joined Feb 2004
564 Posts
Make yourself one out of coroplast and you'll be set to go. Coroplast is very tough and light.

Ron
ronmar1 is offline Find More Posts by ronmar1
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:33 PM
All posts Copyright '07
Joined Sep 2004
1,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmar1
Make yourself one out of coroplast and you'll be set to go. Coroplast is very tough and light.

Ron
..and often used around election season for election signs. Scour the neighborhood. November was not that long ago.
TrappedinNM is offline Find More Posts by TrappedinNM
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:36 PM
Wanna play, ya gotta pay.
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Nov 2005
291 Posts
As far as the slugishness of the plane, What motor, prop and battery pack are you using?. Alot of the time the guys at the LHS have no idea what they are talking about...at least the one I go to.Also ..what transmitter are you using. You can set your EPA on a higher value to get more throw from the rudder.
Italian Stallion is offline Find More Posts by Italian Stallion
Old Jan 13, 2006, 01:02 PM
babelbird
Sacramento, Ca
Joined Jan 2006
9 Posts
Stock 300 motor with a 1350 3S Lipo. 1080 Prop is what the LHS guy said to use.
And by sluggish I meant compared to the runs I did before I broke the rudder, same everything else.

I'm using a JR400, I don't think it has the EPA settings, but I did increase the throw by attaching the push rod closer to the rudder.

Thanks for the pointers
babelbird is offline Find More Posts by babelbird