HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2002, 01:08 PM
Lazy sob
Rural retreat, Virginia
Joined Apr 2002
367 Posts
Anybody try this covering on the IFO??

I just got a very light plastic tablecloth from K-mart. It has enough plastic to cover 4 -5 regular IFOs for only a little over $2.00. It comes in three plain colors. (that I saw) Red, Green, purple. The stuff does not hardly stretch or shrink so it doesn't stop looking good over time. It is not transparent. And finally- Its pretty tough!! (a lot tougher than the covering that came with the IFO)
I guess I'll be using this instead of the 12$ per IFO ripstop covering.
Anybody else use this??

John-
I FO nut is offline Find More Posts by I FO nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2002, 06:58 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
There are lots of tough coverings available. Weight, strength and cost are the three key differentiators. The lightest ripstop is much less than an ounce per square yard. It is also amazingly strong. I was shocked at how much pressure it took to get the point of a sharp Xacto blade to pop through it. I would be even more shocked if a cheap table covering from a discount store wasn't either much heavier and/or much less tear-resistant. But if it's anywhere close to ripstop, it's probably a great bargain for doing economy aircraft.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Jun 11, 2002, 12:43 PM
Lazy sob
Rural retreat, Virginia
Joined Apr 2002
367 Posts
Dave,

No I don't thnk it's as tough as ripstop. But for the price it's pretty good.

Its less than an ounce per sqare yard.

It still is much tougher than any 2 mil trash bag covering.

Ill stick with it because I like to change colors every couple months or so without spending 12 dollars + shipping for the ripstop. I fly with no landing gear in a field of weeds and it still doesn't have any holes from that. ( I used to have 3+ holes after every flight with a 2 mil trashbag covering.)
I FO nut is offline Find More Posts by I FO nut