HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2002, 10:39 AM
Madison, Florida
Joined Mar 2002
41 Posts
Hooked on R/C Flying - Thanks to you !

Hello All!

Thanks to all of you, you have peaked my interest in R/C Planes ! I love it! I have purchased a Firebird XL and love it. (I know, it is a begginer plane, please do not rag me too hard.) I have only had it up for 2 days and the second day crashed it harder than all of the rest, putting it out of commision until the replacments come for the wing and rear wing (not sure of the technical names, sorry). It held up through much more than I ever expected. It has taken nose dives into the ground, also, the battery died after the wind took it over some planted pines I did not have enough altitude to clear them and it got bounced around pretty hard, but still flew, once I put the wing back on with the rubber bands.

The flight or should I say crash that took it out of commision is when I was still trying to work the bugs out, it kept porpousing when giving full throtle, so I was taking it in for a landing to make adjustments, lined up on the runway (a small rural airport, for real) when I gave it a little more throtle to get it further down the runway and a gust of wind caught it and turned it 90 degrees right towards the pine trees, got a little nervous and could not make up my mind to turn right or left, tried both and ended up crashing my rear wing into a pine tree causing it to spin around hitting another tree crushing my front wing. WHEW !

Needless to say, I will be finding a new place to fly. Those pine trees are rough on a plane !
fast-pack is offline Find More Posts by fast-pack
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2002, 10:51 AM
Lifes 2 short, go sloping
colorado @ 5500feet
Joined Sep 2001
1,054 Posts
GOod to see you getting into R/Cing, the back wing is called a "V-Tail" for your style and if you see a normal tail, the flat part is the horizanal stablizer and elevator (moving flat part) and the vertical part is called a vertical stablizer and Rudder (vert. moving part)

This is the place to learn it all...I started flying a year ago and knew just about what you do. I found this place and read everything I could and asked my simpler ?'s that you just did so don't feel bad for a question. Most of us are glad to help and enjoy that plane and remember as long as your having fun that is all that matters, and for 2 days of flying I think your doing GREAT!!!

Welcome to the most addicting world of R/Cing! 1 year and over 20 planes Later and I still love it!!
Vinnya42 is offline Find More Posts by Vinnya42
Old Jun 10, 2002, 11:04 AM
Madison, Florida
Joined Mar 2002
41 Posts
20 Planes Later

W O W !!! Really 20 Planes? How did the tape work out for you? Would love to see some pictures if you have any.
Old Jun 10, 2002, 11:33 AM
colorado @ 5500feet
Joined Sep 2001
1,054 Posts
Here are some of them, any of them with yellow on them are from your tape Vince's planes I started on a zagi 400 and thought that was it, I wouldn't need another...SO I thougt,I make all my planes from scratch now and I stick to the slopers and gliders (without motors) I would say out of the 22+ planes I have made I have thrown away 6 and I counted 13 planes laying around my garage without any gear in and I fly 6 on a regular basis (depending on the streanth of the wind) and am working on a new one right now.

I am glad to see you are doing good in the RC tape market, I am happy with your tape and have heard good things about it on this news group.
Last edited by Vinnya42; Jun 10, 2002 at 11:38 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2002, 05:03 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Hey Jason-

With all the tape you've got you need to go to a Zagi after you're done with the Firebird! Every time you wreck it, just stick some more tape on it

I love the tape I got from you, it sticks a lot better than clear packing tape. Plus the colors match my planes well. The yellow is amazingly close to the GWS Tiger Moth color.

Glad to hear you've joined our ranks, keep glueing that Firebird back together and putting it back up until you can fly it blindfolded, then move up to a 3 channel plane
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jun 10, 2002, 10:03 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
I've also started here. Firebird XL, Sky Scooter and T-52.
Once you get your firebird going again, I suggest you add some
foam from a Mickey Dee's burger container to the control tabs on the vee tail. Just tape them on. You'll find that it turns sharper. And, put that shim on underneath the wing on the back (rear rubber band holders). You'll cut down on the incidence and it won't porpoise on you. When your done with that, try a zagi prop
on it!!!!

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Jun 15, 2002, 07:16 PM
Madison, Florida
Joined Mar 2002
41 Posts
Thanks for the tips! Would this be good for me to try just being a begginer? Also adding the foam to the plane making it turn sharper, will it make the plane also dive harder/faster?Thanks again and I will be trying it this week! Just do not know where I am going to get the tape to tape them on!?!?!?!?!?
Old Jun 15, 2002, 08:15 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
You will be fine with doing the "extra`s" to your plane.. Like these guy`s have said once you have the idea of you plane comming and going. you may want to move up to a Zagi 400X or a FMA Razor. these are both great planes and you will not have to wrooy about hitting those trees with those two!!

MAl
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Jun 15, 2002, 09:39 PM
Harrisburg,PA,USA
Joined Sep 2001
131 Posts
I also started out with the Firebird xl.. I actually made a new tail out of a meat tray and put plywood spars in for strenght. WOW what a difference. I later converted it to 3 channel and now it will loop and roll. You are only limited by your imagination(and wallet ;-) )
shadetreeflyer is offline Find More Posts by shadetreeflyer
Old Jun 19, 2002, 08:45 AM
Madison, Florida
Joined Mar 2002
41 Posts
Spars

What do the spars do? Are they for support/bracing?
Old Jun 19, 2002, 08:56 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,419 Posts
Re: Spars

Quote:
Originally posted by fast-pack.com
What do the spars do? Are they for support/bracing?
Eggs-actly.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jun 19, 2002, 09:08 AM
Madison, Florida
Joined Mar 2002
41 Posts
Thanks Mark !

Thanks Mark !

Does it matter how they are put in or where they are placed, or can you not screw that up?!?!?!?!?!??
Old Jun 19, 2002, 10:40 AM
colorado @ 5500feet
Joined Sep 2001
1,054 Posts
Put the spares in near the front as shown in his picture, I created a custom tail for a sloper I made out of a toy glider and when the V tail wasn't stiff enough I taped the bass wood spars right to the outside and bottom of the tail to stiffen it up and it flew great that way (I had a plastic tail so I couldn't put them "inside" like the foam tails.)

Here is a pic of my "Ultra flyer" with the converted V-tail.
these cheapy kid gliders make AWSOME conversions to slope or electric.