HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:18 PM
just add beer......
Lakewood, CA
Joined Oct 2005
188 Posts
Build Log
Redback EPP RG15

I'm a sucker for build threads......totally addicted actually Anyone interested in seeing a Redback EPP get built? I know the kit's been around a little while but I've searched out the many mentions of said plane around here but no build threads. You guys game?

So far I've spent a few hours straightening out all the spars that came with the kit and enlarging the channels in the wing sections. Everything is straight and almost ready to start getting glued together. I have also made sure that the build will go as per what seems to be the RCGroups.com mandatory build thread guidelines. I have sponsors (beer) and a shop assistant (dog). I have only dabbled briefly with the Nagua style taglines but hopefully I'll get the hang of using them better as time goes on

Michael..........................<witty tagline goes here>
malachite is online now Find More Posts by malachite
Last edited by malachite; Jan 12, 2006 at 11:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:35 PM
Austin, Tx
Joined Nov 2003
1,052 Posts
Always love a build thread...please do

Steven
Pegasus is offline Find More Posts by Pegasus
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:39 PM
Nor. Cal.
Joined Jan 2004
6,162 Posts
o.k. I see the the beer but no "dog"... your probably not really ready for a build thread yet.
dutchydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by dutchydawg1
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:42 PM
gas tires and oil
malad, idaho
Joined Dec 2004
2,463 Posts
ya!
i want to see and follow.
it is an interesting plane to me,and i have only seen one of them,and not very close up. so sure,sure, do the thread!

marty
prplgoat is online now Find More Posts by prplgoat
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:06 AM
just add beer......
Lakewood, CA
Joined Oct 2005
188 Posts
OK, build thread it is then..........but now I'm just staring at the wing, all dry fit together and wondering if I really want to add a couple of carbon fiber ribbons to the center portion of the main and rear spar before I glue things together. Hmmmm............decisions, decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchydawg1
o.k. I see the the beer but no "dog"... your probably not really ready for a build thread yet.
I might not be, but Odie sure is
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:11 AM
Nor. Cal.
Joined Jan 2004
6,162 Posts
uuhhh..... like what happened to the "beer" ? (your good to go now) !
dutchydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by dutchydawg1
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:18 AM
gas tires and oil
malad, idaho
Joined Dec 2004
2,463 Posts
are carbon ribbon spars in the kit or your own idea?

marty
Old Jan 12, 2006, 01:21 AM
It's the last plane honey
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
Cool, I was looking at the Redback and the LEG One D as a possible summer project.
SlowRider is offline Find More Posts by SlowRider
Old Jan 12, 2006, 01:28 AM
just add beer......
Lakewood, CA
Joined Oct 2005
188 Posts
My idea.......the instruction book shows an "optional mod" of widening the main spar channel a bit and laying a piece of fiberglass cloth (3/4" wide) on top of the spar channel the full length of the wing, wetting it out, and then pressing the main spar into the channel, glassing the bottom and sides of the spar (cloth not included in the kit). You do glass the top of the wing later on in the build anyway but I was thinking a thin carbon strip about 2' long, attached to the rear face of the main spar and about a 1' long piece on the front of the drag spar would add some strength with minimal weight gain compared to glassing the whole main spar. The wing mounting block goes up against the main spar too so the strength will be welcomed. Besides, the instructions told me to try something different anyway..............

Michael.............who has decided carbon in his wing will make him kewl
Old Jan 12, 2006, 02:51 AM
Joined Feb 2005
368 Posts
im trying to find time to finish one up now, the vtail linkage is a pain. i made the tail detachable.

dan
homemade_lift is offline Find More Posts by homemade_lift
Old Jan 12, 2006, 06:55 AM
gas tires and oil
malad, idaho
Joined Dec 2004
2,463 Posts
ya,
carbon ribbons sound like the way to go! i say... do it!

marty
Old Jan 12, 2006, 07:00 AM
Tearing the Skies a new one...
Sweden: Ystad
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
Ooohhh yes... do a build thead!!

but be warned.... they can sometimes come back to haunt you if you fail to finish...
Sensiblenick is offline Find More Posts by Sensiblenick
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:42 PM
just add beer......
Lakewood, CA
Joined Oct 2005
188 Posts
A few notes about the kit in case anyone is interested before we move on. This is some WEIRD foam. It's EPS but the stiffest, most closed cell foam I've come across compared to any foam plane I've built. Dunno what the people in OZ are putting in their EPS recipe but it's definitely different. Harder, easier to shape, but still foam............

This is really a "builders" kit, not your usual throw together foam plane. Everything you have to put together in this thing must be trimed to size, shaped accordingly, leveled, checked and re-checked. The whole wing comes in 6 individual pieces and in order to build a straight wing you really have to spend some time putting the wing beds together straight with shims or in some cases you have to take some foam away with a sanding block. Tedious work that I don't mind as I enjoy building as much as I enjoy flying.

Anyway, I wanted to do the carbon ribbons in the wings but 3 hobby stores later without luck had me thinking glassing the main spar would be OK. I already had everything I needed to it and I've done it before with balsa sheeted foam wings I've built in the past so off we go.......

So a few minutes with a sanding block had the spar channels where they needed to be. Next I cut a 3/4" X 30" piece of 2oz cloth, taped the edges of the spar channel with tape on either side as I don't want epoxy all over the wing, mixed up some 45min epoxy, and wetted out the cloth on a seperate piece of wax paper with a small paint brush. Pull the wetted cloth off the paper and place on the wing, directly over the channel. Place your spar on top and slowly push it into the channel. If one side of the cloth goes down faster, you just poke the offending speeder with an old exacto blade to hold him down while the rest of the cloth catches up. Oce it's all the way down, smooth it out with your paint brush and little expoxy. Cover with wax paper, put your top wing saddle on, and utilize all those books on your book shelf you haven't looked at in 10 years and squish'er down (straight of course)

Didn't get many pics because taking pics with rubber gloves covered in epoxy I'm gonna guess will void my camera warranty.

Michael
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:24 AM
gas tires and oil
malad, idaho
Joined Dec 2004
2,463 Posts
oh,
i thought you meant you would glue the spar in first then glass on top and bottom.
i'm with it now!!!

marty
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:41 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,507 Posts
Good deal! I've got a Redback kit on the shelf and a build thread would be just the ticket!

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood