Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 11, 2006, 08:50 PM
corrupted - 17x18 or more
College Park, Maryland, United States
Joined Nov 2003
506 Posts
Discussion
CASA F5B (VA F5B) contest May 20-21

Just a quick note to mark your calendars for the Capital Area Soaring Association (CASA) F5B contest on May 20-21, 2006. (Note, private discussions with Bidule have indicated that he will either drop or shift the May 20 date of his Canadian contest.) Due to the temporary unavailability of the Virginia flying field, the normal May Virginia F5B contest has been shifted to the CASA flying field located just north of Washington DC, in Maryland. Thus I cannot (and do not ) want to continue to use the name Virginia F5B and the main name for this contest. While you are marking your calendars, also move over to Sept 30 and Oct 1 for the Fall contest.

The contest will be run in the normal VA F5B fashion with two classes: 16 cell and 10 cell. Many pilots will be flying FAI legal F5B and F5F planes, but there will be no measurements or weights taken. The only difference between the classes will be the number of sub c or smaller NiMh cells, i.e. Tic can fly his F5B S-14 on 10 cells and fly in the 10 cell class. Lipos are not allowed, except in Warmliners, Hotliners or Foamies.

We will fly only a 5 or 6 minutes duration to speed things up. Hopefully my computer timing equipment will be operational by the contest. This is the same system as used in York in the WC, and used in the Eurotour contests. Pilots, be ready for Base A motor infractions being called. We will probably fly the first round with only warnings, but start practicing a quick turn around and re-enter of the course. This purpose of this contest is to learn and have fun.

The majority of flying will be on Saturday, starting first flights at about 9:00 and trying to wrap up comfortably in time for a group dinner. We will finish the flying on Sunday in time for the out-of-towners to comfortably start home, the die-hards can fly until they have nothing left to fly.

More details will follow later. Let me know what you will be flying by posting to this tread.

Assuming the current IB 3800 batteries, I will be flying:
F5F - Avionik, Neu 1509/1D/6.7, 17x18
F5B - Raketenwurm 2, Neu 1509/1Y/5.2, 17x19

don
eye_rc_soar is offline Find More Posts by eye_rc_soar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2006, 09:20 PM
F5B, helis...too much
Fairfax, VA
Joined Mar 2002
370 Posts
F5b

Hey, great work for setting this up, Don!
Let me know if you need help.

Zoom Race, 10xIB3800, 1509/1D/6.7, RFM 17x18 (5 deg)
Zoom Race, 16xIB3800, 1512/1D/6.7, RFM 17x18 (5 deg)

thanks,
tufnik
tufnik is offline Find More Posts by tufnik
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:46 PM
BiggerBetterFasterMORE!!!
Atlanta Hartsfield, Georgia, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,046 Posts
Hopefully everyone will have something left to fly after the SEFF F5B in the beginning of May (May4th)....Geeesh. two F5B contests in one month, both on the east coast. most excellent.

~~fred
Yogi is offline Find More Posts by Yogi
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:08 PM
Joined Sep 2003
376 Posts
Don,

This is great! It's great to hear that CASA came through and were so accomodating. For those of you that have been to the VA-F5B and were shocked by all the trees, you will be in for a pleasant surprise at the Casa field (much more open). Tic, we will all be forever disappointed if you don't make it this time! Hopefully with the lure of the usual good turn out and real timing equipment, we'll get some of the pros from the US-F5B team!

Any idea if the prevailing winds would suggest a left or right handed course Don?

Planes: Not sure....who knows what will be left flying by then.
tdearman is offline Find More Posts by tdearman
Old Jan 12, 2006, 08:07 AM
Joined Nov 2003
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdearman
Don,

...Any idea if the prevailing winds would suggest a left or right handed course Don? ...
Due to the general layout of the land and the pit area, in all probability we will be flying a right handed course (just opposite what was flown at the previous VA F5B contests)

I'll post some satellite images of the field and probable course layout later.

Don
Old Jan 12, 2006, 08:43 AM
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Feb 2003
2,472 Posts
As Don mentioned, NVRC, the club that hosted the VA F5B contests in 2004 and 2005, will loose its field on March 2006. A new field was located 13 miles further west, but the probability of it being ready in May is too uncertain (waiting in line with all the developers on fun stuff like grading permits, etc). As such, the Capital Area Soaring Association stepped in to host a pair of F5B events this year (hopefully subsequent years as well...). CASA is a great field with amenities and facilities are in a whole different league. For anyone who attends the Spring Sizzle, you'll know what I mean.

www.soarcasa.org

Don (and the rest of CASA) - thanks for hosting.

Avionik F5F, Hacker B50-6s, HM-125
Avionik B1L, Neu 1512/0.5Y, P125

So who is up for a F5D "demonstration" race after the F5B festivities?
down_shift is offline Find More Posts by down_shift
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:29 AM
electron liberator
United States, GA, Suwanee
Joined Mar 2003
4,050 Posts
Are any of you going to be running the new Avionik?
jaywatay is offline Find More Posts by jaywatay
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:34 AM
electron liberator
Joined Mar 2003
4,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tufnik
Hey, great work for setting this up, Don!
Let me know if you need help.

Zoom Race, 10xIB3800, 1509/1D/6.7, RFM 17x18 (5 deg)
Zoom Race, 16xIB3800, 1512/1D/6.7, RFM 17x18 (5 deg)

thanks,
tufnik
Are the 17x18 props wide or slim? I am curious how it will be to launch the 16xIB3800 ZR setup as I may do the same stepping up from the 16 2200's.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:37 AM
Joined Sep 2003
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywatay
Are any of you going to be running the new Avionik?
I'm working to get mine together. Based on my pre-contest experience though, without a backup, it's fate in May is dubious at best. Dave from EEM says he's getting more in (along with some T-Tail versions of the same).

It's great to hear that there is some hope of the Canadian guys still being able to move the dates around.
tdearman is offline Find More Posts by tdearman
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:49 AM
electron liberator
Joined Mar 2003
4,050 Posts
Quote:
I'm working to get mine together. Based on my pre-contest experience though, without a backup, it's fate in May is dubious at best. Dave from EEM says he's getting more in (along with some T-Tail versions of the same).

It's great to hear that there is some hope of the Canadian guys still being able to move the dates around.
I would settle for just a flight report at this point especially from someone who has experience with serveral of these models.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:04 PM
Joined Nov 2003
506 Posts
Quote:
JC indicated to me that he and Kevin will try and make our contest.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:09 PM
My name is Geng
Ashburn,VA
Joined Dec 2004
741 Posts
russ, i'm with you for the F5D, i'll have an lipo excite flying by then, both hotliner and pylon setup.

S14 Neu 1512/1D, P125.

i have never compete before and i don't even know how.. i'm going to be all over the sky like a parrot on acid. i guess you guys just fly up and down in circles as fast as you can? i'm definitely game for anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift

So who is up for a F5D "demonstration" race after the F5B festivities?
soulys is offline Find More Posts by soulys
Old Jan 12, 2006, 03:15 PM
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Feb 2003
2,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye_rc_soar
Due to the general layout of the land and the pit area, in all probability we will be flying a right handed course (just opposite what was flown at the previous VA F5B contests)
tdearman - time to start practicing at DCB. It has plenty of room for the equipment w/ this orientation.
down_shift is offline Find More Posts by down_shift
Old Jan 12, 2006, 05:14 PM
F5B, helis...too much
Fairfax, VA
Joined Mar 2002
370 Posts
Don,

I've flown laps at Gude many times under varying wind conditions. Based on the likely wind conditions, general convenience/access, and safety considerations, I think a left-handed run is best, which is the same as we flew at NVRC. Base A would be at northwest corner of field toward the fence. Base B would be at south end. Another option is to place Base A at the south end of asphalt runway and Base B at the east end.

I don't see any significant advantage in flying a right-hand run. One option is to have Base A at the south end, but I have safety concerns regardless of where Base B is. Probably the best fit for a RH run is to have Base A at the east end, but the proximity to the parking lot may not be favorable. Perhaps shifting this layout toward the south will make it favorable. Will the tree intimidate launchers and will Base B be in the weeds?

I guess the decision may depend on the likely wind direction. I do think a LH run is best.

John,
RFM 17x18 is wide. I don't think they have a thin. With 16 sub Cs in my Victor, the plane hand-launches fine. I expect the same for ZR.

tufnik
tufnik is offline Find More Posts by tufnik
Old Jan 12, 2006, 06:37 PM
Authorized Self-Portrait?
Greensboro, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,036 Posts
I should be able to make it. I think Tammie is going to fly in my place; after seeing my last flight, she still insists she can do better!

I/She will be flying an Ikarus Eco 8, Hacker B50-17 on 4s3p.

Seriously, it's about all I have flyable right now, but the Surprise 9 and RW 2 are possibilities, both on 10 cells-we will see!
kitfoxdrvr is offline Find More Posts by kitfoxdrvr