SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2006, 05:30 PM
Pheonix,AZ
Joined Jan 2004
154 Posts
Discussion
Mountain Models Dandy Sport build...Want one?

I was wondering if anyone had any interest for someone to post a build thread about this plane? I will be getting one within 2 weeks, so it wont be right away....but I figure build threads are always welcome. It would be a detailed thread, pics every couple days showing progress....and of coarse a detailed flight report when it was finished.

I also have a question......I am going to buy the complete package from Mountain Models, and was wondering if a 9.6v 8-cell 1100mah pack would work with that motor and speed control?!

Thanks,
Mark

P.S.---you might remember my last build thread a while back on the Gentle Lady sailplane.
mr_frogdude is offline Find More Posts by mr_frogdude
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2006, 05:38 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
here is a build from my Dandy with the Standard Wing. You'll find that it's such a fast build that there isn't much to detail in the build thread.

Great plane though.

Jim
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Jan 11, 2006, 06:15 PM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,066 Posts
[QUOTE=mr_frogdude]I also have a question......I am going to buy the complete package from Mountain Models, and was wondering if a 9.6v 8-cell 1100mah pack would work with that motor and speed control?!QUOTE]

I built/fly a Dandy Sport and really like it. It is by far the best kit I have ever put together. Mine is powered with the stock GWS 300 and a 2s 1320 Lipo. I started with a 750 NmH, switching to the Lipo, performance and endurance improved considerably.

- Norm
Norm Furutani is offline Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Forget The Kids!
Old Jan 11, 2006, 07:38 PM
Pheonix,AZ
Joined Jan 2004
154 Posts
I think that you guys are taking the post wrong...

I was wondering if anybody wanted ME to do a forum about the build and flight. Although I like hearing the good things.

Norm Furutani: Do you remember how long the flight was on the 750mah NIMH?
Old Jan 11, 2006, 08:25 PM
Pheonix,AZ
Joined Jan 2004
154 Posts
Okay,

I am actually thinking about just getting the kit and Kan650 batt. from mountain models.
and getting the following items to complete it:
Hitec HFS-04 MG Flight Pack S/J includes:
-3 HS-55 "feather" servos (.81 oz)
-HFS-04 MG 4 ch. micro receiver(.7 oz)

Great planes Electrifly C-12 Micro brushed esc w/BEC

I am a total noobie as far as mixing and matching goes. Will these work together?

Thanks,
Mark
Old Jan 12, 2006, 02:58 AM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_frogdude
I think that you guys are taking the post wrong...

I was wondering if anybody wanted ME to do a forum about the build and flight. Although I like hearing the good things.

Norm Furutani: Do you remember how long the flight was on the 750mah NIMH?

Sorry, I was responding to your second question. If I recall the correctly, the 750nimh powered for 2-3 mins. before the BEC kicked in.

As for receivers, I prefer and use the Hitec Electron 6 to the Hitec HFS-04 MG because of the dual conversion feature.

- Norm
Norm Furutani is offline Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Forget The Kids!
Old Jan 12, 2006, 07:53 AM
Crash and Build
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Oct 2001
2,142 Posts
KAN 650 works great in Dandy!
dpoles is offline Find More Posts by dpoles
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:00 PM
It's the last plane honey
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_frogdude
"... I was wondering if anybody wanted ME to do a forum about the build and flight..."

Sure, go for it .
SlowRider is offline Find More Posts by SlowRider
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:38 PM
gram obsessive
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2005
743 Posts
Yes. I for one would enjoy seeing a Dandy Sport build thread. It is an ideal "transition" plane, for those wanting to go from beginner to Warbird, fast pattern or 3D. And, it's a great fun flyer.
The HFS 04 MG receiver will work fine IMHO. I'm looking forward to your effort and pictures. Perhaps others will be inspired to build and fly this great model. Thanks,
T.B.
T.B. is offline Find More Posts by T.B.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 06:19 PM
Pheonix,AZ
Joined Jan 2004
154 Posts
so, can anyone tell me if the electronics will all work together? I will be using the EPS300C-C Motor w/Prop from mountain models also.

The reason I am in a ruch is cause I would like to purchase the things tonight

thanks,
Mark
Old Jan 12, 2006, 08:36 PM
Pueblo, Colorado, United States
Joined May 2002
112 Posts
I put together a Dandy Sport last month as my second plane. The items on your list sound like they should work. I started using the 300c-c, the 1080 prop, the 8 cell 650mah batteries, HS-55's, new berg rx and a pixie 20 esc. The hitec rx works well though as I have one in my easystar. Only had a couple of motor glitches with it and when they happened I was pushing the limits on distance between me and the plane. I have some 8 cell 1150's for my easystar that I have also used in the dandy. They fly the plane fine, although they are about as big as you can fit in the dandy. My plane pulls about 4-5 amps average (not sure what the peaks are) and will fly easly at half throttle. Your setup should work well. I am in the process of building a Switchback with both wings to go with the Dandy. I am upgrading the motors to the 350c and switching out the batteries for some 2S 1500mah lipo's.
armithius is offline Find More Posts by armithius
Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:58 PM
Pheonix,AZ
Joined Jan 2004
154 Posts
Well, I just bought the complete package from mountain models. I figured they knew what was best with their plane...and I wanted to give as much support to a great costomer freindly business, instead of some huge business that could care less about me! Well, I guess the build will be on its way sooner than I had hoped.

I did buy the electron 6 receiver instead of the 4 ch. one...I can use this in many future planes this way.
Mark
Old Jan 13, 2006, 08:11 AM
Checking the wind
Aubry Township, Kansas South of KC.
Joined Jan 2002
1,403 Posts
Dandy Sport Landing Gear

Hi Mark:

I built a Dandy Sport a couple of years ago. It was a easy build and it flys nice.

I got terrably frustrated with mine though and quit flying it. I fly off a paved street and also off a golf course green. I like to make lots of takeoffs and landings. Takeoffs are fine but I simply can not make a normal landing without the thing going into a hard turn in either direction and ground looping! I have read here where many others have had the same problem. Some have said it is do to the position of the landing gear? I don't know, but maybe someone will read this and post the fix before you get too far into the build.

I have a fixed tailwheel. You might build a stearable one for it for one thing. Good luck.

Mike
kansascloud is offline Find More Posts by kansascloud
Old Jan 13, 2006, 08:27 AM
Canal Fulton, Ohio
Joined Jun 2003
544 Posts
Bend the landing gear wheels so they are in a toe in position (front of wheels point inward a little bit). This will help to keep it from turning.

Dick
Stark Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Stark Flyer
Old Jan 13, 2006, 08:46 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,259 Posts
Nothing wrong with the gear position. Just tweak some toe in as Dick said and it'll be fine. This should be done on all tail draggers for better ground handling. Also if you bend the gear uneven and the wing doesn't sit level when it's on the gear it'll turn on roll out.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe