HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:52 AM
NC2006
Joined Jan 2005
161 Posts
Discussion
Before and After Crash photos!

Sorry, I was bored and wanted to share...I came home from work and it was a chilly 45 outside, but NO WIND!! So I put my stuff away, grabbed my CX and headed out the back yard (all the while my wife asking, "are you sure thats a good idea? Do you remember what happened to your other thing?-she means the lost BR, that maybe somewhere over Japan now)

Well, it flew tremendously, it was great. I was about 30 to 45 feet up (yeah hard to see, had to rely on my floods and the LEDS) which was a bad idea because my heli as you can see is army green Anyway, I was flying the length of my side yard which is a little over 120 feet in FFF. It was great, then I went low and was like a little kid when the blades kicked up dirt and grass. Then it happened. That is, I had a brain fart do to the ease at which it was moving in perfect trim and I lasped for a moment thinking it was my T-Rex....30 feet later straight down to the whine of the motors and gears thrashing on the ground amongst what was left of the forward canopy, I awoke and again realized this is a CX. I put it back together for the most part before I brought it in, so as not to alert my wife to my failure. The red arrow is pointing to the part of the head that actually broke, to my amazement it wasnt the normal lower collar type part. All told, one skid, front canopy, missle pod, turret, one LED, one Lipo, and of course, one inner shaft.

By the way...it was worth it

Before:

After:

At least now I have time to put on the heat sink and flybar mods that are sitting in my desk drawer.
Lonestar is offline Find More Posts by Lonestar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2006, 01:31 AM
Novice
USA OHIO
Joined Nov 2005
435 Posts
Not bad after a crash like that. Now ya get to up-grade.
GaryL is offline Find More Posts by GaryL
Old Jan 11, 2006, 07:10 AM
Sippin' on Kool Aid
Long Island NY, USA
Joined Dec 2005
2,775 Posts
Yay for keeping secrects from wives, so they dont scream and yell about it!!!! and yes now you have an excuse to upgradew ( and the wife wont know)
heligrom is offline Find More Posts by heligrom
Old Jan 11, 2006, 07:15 AM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,665 Posts

I crashed mine last night showing my son how well it flew. Busted an upper blade, one skid and cracked the main frame at the top of the right skid. Hate those brain farts! I had about 30 flights with no incidents too...
humveeflyer is offline Find More Posts by humveeflyer
Old Jan 11, 2006, 07:35 AM
KF4IVP
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2005
2,158 Posts
Well I know the feeling of the ground coming up and hitting your bird.
But I gotta say for the first time thats the best looking CX I have seen yet.
34Ford is offline Find More Posts by 34Ford
Old Jan 11, 2006, 08:16 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,594 Posts
Yea its funny how some of the worst crashes happen when you are showing someone how well it flies.... That's how I first broke my inner shaft, I was showing my brother how well it flew the second day I had it, doing FFF in a space that was too small and ran out of room.... Famous last words, "hey yall, watch this"
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jan 11, 2006, 08:20 AM
still trying and crashing
In my House with my Helis and trucks
Joined Aug 2004
89 Posts
Hey that is an awsome looking bird you did a good job on the paint. I broke my flybar hub in the normal place on my first crash. I fixed it with some CA and sewing thread and bam a few flights later I was flying through a door in my house and the heli came down a little after I went through and the blades hit a trash bag with some cloths in it and the hub broke in the same place yours did. I did manage to fix it while I waited for the replacment to get here. I just wish we could do something about the ground and other objects that tend to jump out and hit the heli's.
ejs04 is offline Find More Posts by ejs04
Old Jan 11, 2006, 08:52 AM
Sippin' on Kool Aid
Long Island NY, USA
Joined Dec 2005
2,775 Posts
[QUOTE=dacaur]Yea its funny how some of the worst crashes happen when you are showing someone how well it flies.... QUOTE]
that happens to me all of the time. i hate it b/c then you feel like a total idiot
heligrom is offline Find More Posts by heligrom
Old Jan 11, 2006, 01:26 PM
NC2006
Joined Jan 2005
161 Posts
Yeah the damage totaled about 20.00 bucks (have other lipos)....wow, I dont even want to think about what those repairs would have cost with my other toys. The picture does look better than it did whirling around in the grass at 11 at night. I made the right choice with this chopper, as I was able to pick up every part I need, plus a heatsink, and Hirobo flybar at the local shop. Needless to say, that extra money this chopper costs is a small trade off for buying any part I need at the LHS. Now its off to Radio shack to buy a new LED front light
Lonestar is offline Find More Posts by Lonestar