HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2006, 07:49 PM
Joined Jan 2006
3 Posts
Discussion
noob and hobbyzone plane

Hi all,

First post so go easy on me ..... plz
After racing rc cars years ago i got the yearning again and decided on planes this time. I bought a Hobbyzone Aerobird Challenger and flew it for the 1st time at the weekend.

I need a new tail now lol but what a rush.

Anyway back to the question. The plane flew straight and true and to begin with, and turned both ways however as the tail plane deteriated (quickly) it became less responsive eventually only responding to right hand input. On checking i noticed a full length crack on the right hand tail plane allowing it to fold when the stick was moved. I taped it up and it seemed stiff and the aelerons seemed to opperate as necessary. I still had no left hand turn.

Well the new tail is ordered and i shall be ready to go again soon. Are these things temperamental? or is there a secret i am missing?

Thanks for any guidance in advance

Aidan
AidanP is offline Find More Posts by AidanP
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2006, 08:50 PM
Angels Camp, California
Joined Jan 2006
922 Posts
Aerobird beginnings

Good luck with your new plane. You CAN do it. I' m new at this e-discussion stuff so bear with me too.
First-Follow the video that came with your plane. Especially as to having enough space and waiting for a calm day.
If you still have your old tail attached to the boom keep it there until ready to put on the new parts. That way you can see that the new one is lined up (looking from the side) just as the old one came from the factory.
Mark the control lines so you know which goes to which side. Make sure both elevators are lined up with the stabilizer evenly. Both the same and neither drooping up or down. Everything must be nice and straight. The main wing centered carefully too.
Watch the video again and do just as they tell you.
Do everything gently. Don't over-control. It will be fairly easy when going away. When you are coming toward yourself Imagine you are going to "prop up the low wing" with the control stick. That will help you keep control. Talk to yourself as you fly. "I'm going left, I'm going left." I'm going right, I'm going right." Soon you will get the hang of it. Then you can try loops, stall, low passes, etc..
Remember..."Prop up the low wing." when coming toward yourself.
Good luck. It will become more and more fun.
Lanny
LannyG is offline Find More Posts by LannyG
Old Jan 11, 2006, 09:37 AM
Joined Jan 2006
3 Posts
Hi Lanny,

Thanks for the answer. It would seem that the tail is quite delicate and the 1st crash probably upsets it.

I was lucky with the weather last weekend ..... this weekends forecast is not great. I will wait until i get the new tail plane before disassembly

Cheers

Aidan
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:52 AM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,862 Posts
Basically, the Aerobird Challenger is a very nice flying plane. Anytime that one of the control surfaces gets creased, whether the V-tail of the HZ planes, the vertical or horizontal stabilizers on conventional tails, or the main wings, you should replace the creased surface or reinforce it sufficiently so that there is no possibility of movement.

The tail is easy to replace in the Aereobird and I'm sure that you'll enjoy flying the plane once you complete the replacement. Good Luck! Have Fun!
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:53 AM
Indian Land, SC
Joined Dec 2005
401 Posts
Open the battery hatch and make sure that the circut board is not broken away from it's mount. I have used loads of epoxy on my fleet of HobbyZone planes.
one2lose is offline Find More Posts by one2lose
Old Jan 12, 2006, 04:39 PM
Joined Jan 2006
3 Posts
Thats one to check. Im guessing thats its ok as it flew straight with no stick input all afternoon. I would imagine that with loose internals i wouldn't get straight flight

Im hoping that when i fit the new tail i still get the same straight flight (but with turning both ways on stick input.

Cheers

Aidan.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 06:16 PM
SF Bay Area
Joined Oct 2005
235 Posts
I don't want to flatline this happy discussion, and I'm glad you like your Challenger. I owned one, flew it once, and it never flew right again. The tail is too easily bent. I hop it works out, but if not don't pump more money into it and get a slow flier that is more easily repaired and to control.
Prep I is offline Find More Posts by Prep I
Old Jan 15, 2006, 09:10 PM
Indian Land, SC
Joined Dec 2005
401 Posts
Check inside the battery hatch to see if the circut board has come loose from it's mount.
one2lose is offline Find More Posts by one2lose