HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:05 PM
Sanford, FL
Joined Sep 2003
308 Posts
Discussion
Rx or Tx not working ?

I have a Futaba Skysport 4 Tx and a Hitec Rx.

These both worked fine together in my graupner mini-piper.

I transplanted them into a new plane and now they dont work. I get no response on the servos and the ESC just beeps once if I open the throttle.

(I tried two ESCs and they both do the same so I know its not that. The battery was definitely charged too).

So I'm wondering if its the Tx or Rx thats the problem. I have a 2nd Tx which I also tried and nothing works with that either.

Which makes me think its the Rx. But before I go off and buy a new one, I'd like to know what the experts think.

Thanks,
Digsy
digsy is offline Find More Posts by digsy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:14 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Try the transmitter next to a tv set... ISTR channel 4 shows a response to a close-up transmitter.
Does the receiver/ESC beep without the transmitter on?
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2006, 07:38 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
Has the Receiver been in a crash, even a minor one?

TX and RX on the same channel and frequency (72mhz)?

TX and RX are both FM (or AM)?

Are you using the proper 'Hitec' crystal in the RX (single or dual conversion)?

Are you sure you have everything (servos, ESC) plugged in correctly and in the right direction? If you reverse polarity the plugs in the receiver, nothing will work.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old Jan 11, 2006, 01:54 PM
Sanford, FL
Joined Sep 2003
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul
Try the transmitter next to a tv set... ISTR channel 4 shows a response to a close-up transmitter.
Does the receiver/ESC beep without the transmitter on?
The subwoofer of my TVs sound system makes a booming sound when I get the transmitter close to it.

The ESC only beeps when it is turned on with the Tx on.

Now none of the channels show any response.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 01:55 PM
Sanford, FL
Joined Sep 2003
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsracer
Has the Receiver been in a crash, even a minor one?

TX and RX on the same channel and frequency (72mhz)?

TX and RX are both FM (or AM)?

Are you using the proper 'Hitec' crystal in the RX (single or dual conversion)?

Are you sure you have everything (servos, ESC) plugged in correctly and in the right direction? If you reverse polarity the plugs in the receiver, nothing will work.
The setup worked perfectly in the first plane.

However, it was in a plane that nosed in pretty heavily from a hand toss - could that have broken the Rx ?
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:00 PM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
The nose-in could definitely cause a receiver to malfunction. It would not take much to knock some of the connectors apart, or crack, on the circuit board. Also, you might want to check the crystal. Sometimes the crystals don't fit too tightly in the sockets which leads to no response, or sporadic response at best. Check it for good seating and maybe tape it in to hold it tight.
Check your connecting wire plugs from the ESC to the receiver and make sure it is pushed on the receiver pins in the correct orientation...you might have it reversed. This will lead to no servo movement but the ESC will beep because it receives power. Same goes for the wire connectors from the servos. Make sure they are also oriented correctly. Might try flipping them over along with the ESC connector. I have made this mistake a couple of times when I didn't pay attention to the way I was plugging the connectors on to the receiver.
Let us know what you are finding out. Good luck,
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2006, 08:36 AM
Sanford, FL
Joined Sep 2003
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI
The nose-in could definitely cause a receiver to malfunction. It would not take much to knock some of the connectors apart, or crack, on the circuit board. Also, you might want to check the crystal. Sometimes the crystals don't fit too tightly in the sockets which leads to no response, or sporadic response at best. Check it for good seating and maybe tape it in to hold it tight.
Check your connecting wire plugs from the ESC to the receiver and make sure it is pushed on the receiver pins in the correct orientation...you might have it reversed. This will lead to no servo movement but the ESC will beep because it receives power. Same goes for the wire connectors from the servos. Make sure they are also oriented correctly. Might try flipping them over along with the ESC connector. I have made this mistake a couple of times when I didn't pay attention to the way I was plugging the connectors on to the receiver.
Let us know what you are finding out. Good luck,
Ken
Ken,

I tried reversing the plugs on the ESCs (both that I own) and tried 4 servos with the plugs flipped too.

I pulled the crystal out and pushed it back in firmly.

I still dont get any kind of response
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:54 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Man, you have me stumped! The only thing left I can think of is are you sure you are plugging the ESC into the correct channel on the receiver? Usually channel 3. I assume the receiver's antenna is firmly attached?
I hope you stumble across the problem soon.
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2006, 09:11 AM
Sanford, FL
Joined Sep 2003
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI
Man, you have me stumped! The only thing left I can think of is are you sure you are plugging the ESC into the correct channel on the receiver? Usually channel 3. I assume the receiver's antenna is firmly attached?
I hope you stumble across the problem soon.
Ken
Yeah I've been stumped for about 2 months

I'm going to try a GWS Rx this weekend and see if I can get anything working.

Thanks for all your help
Old Jan 13, 2006, 05:25 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,895 Posts
Check the pack to ESC connector. A poor connection may allow enough voltage for a beep, but not enough to run servos.

Be 100% positive (before starting) that all is correct. Plugging in the wrong way can quickly fry a Direct Current device.
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H