SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 09, 2006, 08:40 PM
Hey y'all... watch this!
Bellevue, WA
Joined Jan 2004
852 Posts
Discussion
How do you carry your airplane in your car?

My airplane collection is growing, buy my latest aircraft is a balsa model with a 32"+ wingspan. Since it's balsa, it's fragile.

I was thinking of some sort of bungee net to suspend the airplane against the ceiling of the SUV above all the other stuff.

Then I considered some sort of PVC pipe contraption that might cradle the plane and possibly hold my Tx and a toolbox I use for everything else. This idea would involve holding the plane nose down resting on the LE of the wings.

Then I came up with the best idea. I'll just ask y'all for ideas to see how YOU store your airplane in your car. Bonus points for posts with photos!
Rex A Lott is offline Find More Posts by Rex A Lott
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2006, 08:48 PM
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!!
Knoxville Tyson, Tennesse, United States
Joined Feb 2004
564 Posts
Full sized Chevy Conversion Van with a reclining rear seat that makes a bed. If it ain't over a 6 ft wing span I can haul it in total comfort.

I also have a Dodge Ram 1500 P/U with a covered bed. Plenty of room for the plane and equiptment.

Hauling isn't a problem for me.

Ron
ronmar1 is offline Find More Posts by ronmar1
Last edited by ronmar1; Jan 09, 2006 at 08:55 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2006, 08:55 PM
TKG
Riverton Wy
Joined Apr 2003
342 Posts
Older Dodge Caravan, its my version of a pickup with a camper shell.
No rear seats, a full length/width ply wood platform about 6" below the window line. Larger planes w/o wings get velcroded to the platform, little ones wings and all. Larger wings go in overhead pipe racks. Pretty XL, Fredom 3D, Mini Funtana, Lil Banchee
STUFF goes under platform, tool box, spare parts, cased radios, battery safe, 12v 105ah battery for recharging at the field
TKG is offline Find More Posts by TKG
Old Jan 09, 2006, 09:03 PM
..whoops...
Joined Sep 2004
193 Posts
My beaver has a 42 inch wing span and I just put it in the back seat of a saturn ion...no problem
Ionredline0260 is offline Find More Posts by Ionredline0260
Old Jan 09, 2006, 09:17 PM
... Duck! ...
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Joined Jul 2003
959 Posts
I use a couple of pieces of PVC to support the planes and throw everything else in where I can.
Loone is offline Find More Posts by Loone
Old Jan 09, 2006, 09:18 PM
gram obsessive
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2005
743 Posts
I sit my model in a low (open) cardboard carton. It rides pretty well that way. It is even more secure it you cut a notch in the each end of the carton that the fuselage can rest in.

Better yet build a dedicated box. I carry My MM Dandy Sport in the hostile environment of my construction work truck. It is very secure and always available when I want to fly.
T.B. is offline Find More Posts by T.B.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 03:06 AM
It's the last plane honey
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
For my balsa's I wad up a couple beach towels on the reclined front seat and just set the plane on top. Works well. For foamies, well, they're foam..... .

Andy
SlowRider is offline Find More Posts by SlowRider
Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:11 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,445 Posts
Loone, what type strapping or gadget are you using to hold the wings and fuselage of the Rascal?

Almost looks like you can carry the wing halves and fuselage at one time in a nice bundle.

TIA,

Jim
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:36 PM
I broke my kerpellor.
Salt Lake City
Joined Sep 2004
2,430 Posts
It's a tight fit sometimes. I need a pickup with shell.
Artemetra is offline Find More Posts by Artemetra
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:56 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Joined Jul 2005
402 Posts
Yeah its a really tight fit for me as well. Only the pass seat area is open, so if plane...no passanger. And i can only really fit one plane too.

gotime242 is offline Find More Posts by gotime242
Old Jan 10, 2006, 01:02 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,257 Posts
I have a Chevy Impala and managed to get 5 planes in there for a fly in in kentucky this past summer. Not small planes either. 40 size Tiger Bipe conversion, 25 size ME 109, Ultrafly F 16, Little foam thingy. Plus all of my flight and charging gear. I used bubble wrap for the wings and fuses and just packed it in. For trips to the field I can get 5 or maybe 6 in, just takes a little work. jim
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Jan 10, 2006, 01:19 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
Only take 1 or two planes to the field so ... Also most of my planes are balsa.

In the car (small 4 door Dodge Spirit) I just set the plane (nose down) on the back seat (easily haul a 52" airplane). If to long, the nose it set on the floor in the back. If I have a 30-40" airplane it can go in backseat or trunk (Flashback, MiniFlash, Switchback size). I get out the Dodge Ram 1500 with canopy for hauling the bigger plane(s) . Use two new duct tape reels (sticky sides) for the wheel blocks to hold plane in place. When going to a fun fly, I'll take a couple seats out the mini van and load up taking the wings off the bigger planes. Nothing fancy, but haven't busted a plane yet hauling this way.
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Old Jan 10, 2006, 01:23 PM
Joined Jan 2004
1,050 Posts
I have an old pair of my son's shoes (they fit a 3 year old) and use them as wheel chocks. The wheel goes inside the shoe.
Time Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Time Pilot
Old Jan 10, 2006, 04:10 PM
... Duck! ...
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Joined Jul 2003
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb
Loone, what type strapping or gadget are you using to hold the wings and fuselage of the Rascal?

Almost looks like you can carry the wing halves and fuselage at one time in a nice bundle.

TIA,

Jim
Michael Parsons did that before I bought the plane from him, But He took a couple of soft aluminum bars and bent them over the Fuse and added some cusion tape for the wings. It really is a good way to keep everything together.

MH
Loone is offline Find More Posts by Loone
Old Jan 11, 2006, 04:38 PM
Springtown, Texas
Joined May 2005
257 Posts
Ok Rex A Lott, let's see yours.
cessnajfb is offline Find More Posts by cessnajfb